Limp Gawd
First of all, this is my hardware:
Intel E6300
XFX GeForce 7300GT
1GB Corsair Value RAM, DDR2/667MHz
ASRock 775 Dual VSTA
350W Titan PSU
Dual 1907FP's connect via DVI @ 2560x1024

I'm getting these odd red dots on my screen. Here's a screenshot. It seems to be somewhat temperature related, so I've got a fan next to my open case and it has dropped my GPU temperature down to around 45C, but I still get the occasional block of dots. 45C is not hot as far as I know.

I thought it was a problem with the video card, so I RMA'd it. I recently got it back and at first there were no problems, then it showed up again. I've since replaced my old ECS motherboard with this ASRock, and that didn't fix it. I know it's not my monitors/DVI cables because the problem is occurring on both monitors.

Now, what I'm wondering is what else it could possibly be. None of hardware is overclocked. So far, the problem could be caused by either my ram, hard drives or power supply. I'm not aware of any of these being able to cause these effects, but that's all that I haven't tried replacing.

I'll be buying a new, decent PSU next if I can't figure out where the problem lies, to see if that solves it.

Any ideas?

"I thought it was a problem with the video card, so I RMA'd it. I recently got it back and at first there were no problems, then it showed up again."

Sorry bro, but I think it's the video card again. Maybe try underclocking it. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but it might help you trouble shoot.

Sta!nless said:
"I thought it was a problem with the video card, so I RMA'd it. I recently got it back and at first there were no problems, then it showed up again."

Sorry bro, but I think it's the video card again. Maybe try underclocking it. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but it might help you trouble shoot.

Looks like my only solution. Being the beginner at online purchases that I am, I neglected to mark the card so I would know if they sent me back the same one. I didn't, and perhaps they just sent it back in new packaging. I'll try underclocking and see if the problem persists. If it does, then I'll just RMA the card directly to the manufacturer with a hidden marking or something.

Thanks.

It looks like the problem is only on your wallpaper. Of course it couldn't be the monitor if it shows up on a screenshot.

Will it go away with a lighter wallpaper?

upriverpaddler said:
It looks like the problem is only on your wallpaper. Of course it couldn't be the monitor if it shows up on a screenshot.

Will it go away with a lighter wallpaper?

Shows up ontop of my windows as well, it just goes away when I click on the area. Changing wallpapers doesn't help.

This is a classic sign of faulty or failing memory modules on the video card. They are either defective or overheating but it's definately a problem with the video memory.

Blue Falcon said:
This is a classic sign of faulty or failing memory modules on the video card. They are either defective or overheating but it's definately a problem with the video memory.

Thanks! At least now I know it's definitely a video card problem so I don't have to keep swapping parts.

EDIT: For clarification, 45C isn't hot, right?

45C is just fine for a video card. I would say most 7800s and 7900s idle between 45-50 (mine have, anyway). I would say that about 70C is the maximum you want to see.

Blue Falcon said:

I concur.

Cool. Looks like they returned the same card, because I threw in an old GeForce4 and didn't get any dots. I'm gonna return this and get a 7600GT.

drdeutsch said:
45C is just fine for a video card. I would say most 7800s and 7900s idle between 45-50 (mine have, anyway). I would say that about 70C is the maximum you want to see.

GPU's can handle upwards of 120c, 70c isnt the max you want to see, as most stock 7900's hit 80-85c at full load.

Who was it that send you back the same card? I would raise hell if I was in your place.

Blue Falcon said:

Concur +3

I had this same exact problem with 2 completely different 6800GS's. Might have been a bad batch.

I always write down the s/n of what I'm RMA'ing just incase.

I don't buy the S/N stuff.

I've sent cards in for repair, marked with a few spots of whiteout, that were RETURNED to me with DIFFERENT serial numbers!!

The stickers on them were REPLACED, but the card had MY MARKINGS...

Mark the cards!

Hi!

I was having this problem. I was stupid enough to use a DVI extention cable. I removed the cable and the problem resolve itself!

dont forget to check your power supply... if you keep getting rma'd stuff and it still has the problem i would be checking to make sure your psu isn't going out... i know that right before mine went out, i was getting video card failure symptoms and error codes... just figure u ought to keep that option open.

I agree that looks like just bad ram.

My 360 has similar issues, without a doubt my console would have RROD if I hadn't replaced the thermal paste with AS5. Now, if I play for a while and restart the console it will have massive display glitches like that, but I can leave it on all day without any issue as long as i dont restart it. Thinking about getting or making some ramsinks and possibly replacing the fans to prolong the life of it. In your case, 45C is fine and you should definately RMA the card.

Where did you buy it from anyway? And the brand? Sometimes I start to wonder if some stores send out RMA'd products until it has been RMA'd twice instead of doing inhouse testing, to pass the cost on to the consumer.

it may be the DVI cable itself, if that is in-fact the way your hooking your monitor up to your computer.

Sounds like the memory on the vid card is either bad, or overheating.

Back