Wii: Component vs Composite comparison pics (bandwidth warning!)

kumquat

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, so I decided to take some comparison pictures of component and composite output on the Wii.

These were all taken with a Canon A530. The display is a 50" plasma with a resolution of 1366x768.

Most of the images are cropped "detail" comparisons, but I included two full-screen Zelda shots at the end.

Zelda_Title_Screen_Detail.jpg

Here we see a detail of the title screen from Zelda.

Zelda_Wolf_Detail.jpg

This is an image of Link-wolf at the exact same place. Forgive me capturing the cursor fairy in the composite image. The difference in detail is still obvious.

Zelda_Saved_Games_detail.jpg

This is a cropped shot of the saved games list.

Zelda_Midna_detail.jpg

This is a detail shot of Midna at the "up" D-pad location.

Wii_Sports_Golf_Tree_Detail.jpg

These are different trees from Wii Golf. I accidentally took the shot of the wrong title screen for the composite shot, but the trees are about the same size and distance away.

Wii_Sports_Bowling_Mii_Detail.jpg

This is a crop of the closeup from Bowling.

Wii_Sports_Bowling_Frame_Detail.jpg

This is a crop of the score header from Bowling.

Here is the Zelda title screen:

IMG_4417_resize.jpg

IMG_4427_resize.jpg

Here is the Zelda game screen:

IMG_4419_resize.jpg

IMG_4429_resize.jpg

I didn't include many full screens because the differences are too difficult to see when the images are shrunk so much.

Gonna assume the left and top ones are the components with the rights and bottoms being the rca craps.

Awesome thread man. So, you are of course playing on an HDTV right? Would these differences be so apparent on my large 40 inch normal TV? I know on your HDTV it would still be 480i, but its worth asking...

i just wouldn't be waiting for those inferior aftermarket cables, $30 is a deal if the Nintendo branded cables are decent, too bad they couldn't have bundled them with the systems, it would not have cost them anything appreciably more, a few bucks, but they are already making money off of each console, so it's not like they would have went further in the hole doing it, like M$ did

nobody_here said:
i just wouldn't be waiting for those inferior aftermarket cables, $30 is a deal if the Nintendo branded cables are decent, too bad they couldn't have bundled them with the systems, it would not have cost them anything appreciably more, a few bucks, but they are already making money off of each console, so it's not like they would have went further in the hole doing it, like M$ did

Due to the fact that a small minority of the country owns an HDTV in their homes (about 15% from the last figures I have seen), most would be FORCED to pay more for something they have no use for were the cables to be bundled. In addition, Nintendo is first and foremost a business, their goal is of course to make money (nothing wrong with this). By selling the cables separately, they create a profit-making product as an add-on for the small number of Wii buyers who want a component video input cable set. For those with an HDTV, they see it as a worthy UPGRADE. For those without, they are thankful to not have had to have paid for them without an option. For Nintendo, they make more money. Win-win everywhere, basically.

HighwayAssassins said:
Awesome thread man. So, you are of course playing on an HDTV right? Would these differences be so apparent on my large 40 inch normal TV? I know on your HDTV it would still be 480i, but its worth asking...
If your TV has component inputs, it will definitely look much better.

poison123 said:
Gonna assume the left and top ones are the components with the rights and bottoms being the rca craps.
Yes, except I accidentally put the composite shot on the left in the wolf picture.

Also note that the component signals are being carried by 22-gauge wire attached to alligator clips and paper clips. Totally unshielded.. certainly not high quality connections here. I'm sure the quality won't be noticeably different with the "real" cables, though.

These look outstanding, when i got components for my Ps2 i noticed a slight improvement.

With my regular old sdtv will component make the wii look a lot better, or eh?

DaRat said:
These look outstanding, when i got components for my Ps2 i noticed a slight improvement.

It should look significantly better.

If it has the ports it can make the color separation and clarity a bit better. But its still going to be interlaced. I have found that DVDs look much better just running those cables over the single component on my 27" sdtv that has composite ports. (no progressive scan support though :( )

DaRat said:

Judging from my experience with my 50" SDTV w/ PS2 on Svid and Component, I saw no 480i diff from Svideo to Component, but I did see a jump from composite to Svid.

GoldenTiger said:
Yep, for those who have a component input on their TV's, it's a great $30 investment :D.

Yes, if you could find them for $30 it would be a great investment.

from nintendo's storeOrders entered on or after Wednesday November 22, 2006 will ship when our new quantities arrive (week of December 18, 2006).

Please note: The Component Video Cable will also be available at select retail outlets (GameStop, Best Buy, Circuit City) starting in mid-December.

nobody_here said:

Nintendo cables aren't available, aftermarket cables aren't available. There is no difference between either them im sure. They are all made in china by slave labor for 5 cents, then they charge $30 for that crap.

Devnull said:
Yes, if you could find them for $30 it would be a great investment.

Nintendo cables aren't available, aftermarket cables aren't available. There is no difference between either them im sure. They are all made in china by slave labor for 5 cents, then they charge $30 for that crap.

regardless, i can honestly say that the aftermarket component cables made by MadCatz and the like for the 360 are piss poor compared to the OEM cables, many people have mentioned noticing this as well, i wouldn't expect any different from the Wii cables, the OEM cables should be best in quality, they are not all the same

nobody_here said:
regardless, i can honestly say that the aftermarket component cables made by MadCatz and the like for the 360 are piss poor compared to the OEM cables, many people have mentioned noticing this as well, i wouldn't expect any different from the Wii cables, the OEM cables should be best in quality, they are not all the same

Best in quality? I took the composite cable for the wii apart. There is nothing remarkable about it. Best in quality is not made by slave labor :rolleyes:

Devnull said:
Best in quality? I took the composite cable for the wii apart. There is nothing remarkable about it. Best in quality is not made by slave labor :rolleyes:

are you not listening?

this thread has nothing to do with slave labor or what you think about it

fact is, the trend is that the OEM cables, like the ones that come with the Xbox 360 are of higher quality than the ones you buy aftermarket made by MadCatz or Pelican, etc......

that's my point, at $30, the Wii component cables should be an excellent bargain, at $20 the aftermarket cables are likely not worth it, better off spending another $10 to get the better quality cables

GoldenTiger said:
Due to the fact that a small minority of the country owns an HDTV in their homes (about 15% from the last figures I have seen), most would be FORCED to pay more for something they have no use for were the cables to be bundled. In addition, Nintendo is first and foremost a business, their goal is of course to make money (nothing wrong with this). By selling the cables separately, they create a profit-making product as an add-on for the small number of Wii buyers who want a component video input cable set. For those with an HDTV, they see it as a worthy UPGRADE. For those without, they are thankful to not have had to have paid for them without an option. For Nintendo, they make more money. Win-win everywhere, basically.

Component cables make the game look a hell of a lot better on non HDTV's as well. Component != HD, it's just a further differentiation of signals that leads to clearer images.

The point of this isnt that nintendo should have bundled them its that they were clearly surprised that *gasp* people want higher quality av cables. Putting these (or even svideo cables...) in stores is way down on their priority list and frankly a little insulting to me as an early adopter. Aren't we usually the ones who are more tech savvy?

Spaceman_Spiff said:
The point of this isnt that nintendo should have bundled them its that they were clearly surprised that *gasp* people want higher quality av cables. Putting these (or even svideo cables...) in stores is way down on their priority list and frankly a little insulting to me as an early adopter. Aren't we usually the ones who are more tech savvy?

i don't care about the cable.. I won't have an HDTV till after college...

RancidWAnnaRIot said:

Not only does this comment in no way refute mine about nintendo underestimating demand for them, its also misinformation. You don't even need an hdtv to benefit from component cables, any tv that costs more than like $200 has the inputs. I bought a 27" tv 6-7 years ago for about $250 that has component inputs.

That's what kinda pissed me off about Nintendo. They assume that people aren't interested in HD gaming, and removed the port from the Cube and stopped producing the cable. Again with the Wii, they under-produced the cables... and now they are trying to fill orders.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:

Wildfire said:
LOL - QFT

LOL - QFUT

component cables have nothing to do with HDTV, the Wii isn't even capable of outputting HDTV resolutions even with the component cables, do your homework, component only makes 480p possible, with composite you get 480i, none of which has anything to do with HDTV

I'm saving judgment on the Wii until I get my component cables. After looking at those pictures I think it's going to make a huge difference on a large tv. The composite cable makes everything look out of focus and is really distracting. Sucks that N didn't do better market research to establish demand for the product. They can't feign production limitations like Sony can with the PS3. Oh well, I ordered them a week ago and they still haven't shipped but hopefully I'll get them early December.

As far as "aftermarket" cables go and the quality of them compared to first party manufacturers.....

I doubt you would be able to tell the difference.

That said, needs to step up and bring some more damn cables to market! I honestly dont know why we couldnt have picked these up on launch day..If Nintendo can make 4 million + Wii's before 2007 they should be able to supply consumers with an adequate number of cheap ass cables.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Not only does this comment in no way refute mine about nintendo underestimating demand for them, its also misinformation. You don't even need an hdtv to benefit from component cables, any tv that costs more than like $200 has the inputs. I bought a 27" tv 6-7 years ago for about $250 that has component inputs.

I was merely joking about the fact that no college student can afford an HDTV, jeez can't we all just get along around here :D

Wow, but I'm guessing your TV is partly at fault, probably using a technique of de-interlacing that is throwing away %50 of the 480i resolution via composite.

The color/brightness/contrast is different for your RCA vs Component as well as detail different, you should adjust it some.

todlerix said:
The color/brightness/contrast is different for your RCA vs Component as well as detail different, you should adjust it some.
Yeah I definitely noticed that. I didn't calibrate the composite input, and I hoped it wouldn't be overly obvious. Turned out it was, and I couldn't fix it well in Photoshop, so I just left it. I thought the detail differences were so dramatic it ultimately didn't matter that much.

kumquat said:
Yeah I definitely noticed that. I didn't calibrate the composite input, and I hoped it wouldn't be overly obvious. Turned out it was, and I couldn't fix it well in Photoshop, so I just left it. I thought the detail differences were so dramatic it ultimately didn't matter that much.

It throws me off alot, not sure why ^_^

ok, this may be against the rules since im technically changing the subject... but you have gotten me really interested in component cables for the wii now and i cannot find any specs on if my tv has 480p or just i (it does have component input) 27ms4504 is the model and its made by philips magnovox

your pictures just make it look insanely different between composite and component. could you post pictures of 480i on component vs 480p?

Back