Bluescreens While Gaming

Maleix

n00b
Recently I purchased Battlefield 2142 and installed it. I loaded it up only to discover that I would blue screen after 1-5 minutes into a game. This is like deja vu all over again, because the 'exact' same blue screen error occured when I played Battlefield 2 which prevented me from play that as well.

I am full aware that EA sucks and it is pretty bad that only 2 games out of my last 30 I bought do this and both are from the same company.

At first I believed it had to do with just their games, but now I found that I can reproduce it when I run system diagnostic software like Sandra Lite 2007 and Belarc Advisor.

The blue screen message states:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - The picture below gives the exact blue screen message.

Bluescreen

Updated Drivers for:
Video Card
Sound Card
Motherboard Drivers
NForce3 Drivers
Bios
Silicon Image Raid Drivers
DirectX 9.0c

My system specs are:

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce3 150, AMD Hammer
System Memory 1536 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (07/30/04)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6800
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (PJK0512A0439)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB0350 Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card

Storage:
IDE Controller NVIDIA NForce 3(tm) SPP Parallel ATA Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATARaid Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive SiI RAID 0 Set 0 SCSI Disk Device (138 GB)
Optical Drive JLMS XJ-HD166S (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 141808 MB (17763 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Logitech PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2

Network:
Network Adapter Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

Peripherals:
Printer hp officejet 4200 series
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller nVIDIA MCP2 - OHCI USB 1.1 Controller
USB1 Controller nVIDIA MCP2 - OHCI USB 1.1 Controller
USB2 Controller nVIDIA MCP2 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller

Adittional info:
- I have ran several different memtest programs and have found zero errors on 5+ passes
- I am using two 10,000 rpm WD Raptor drives in Raid 0
- Have ran windows repair
- Have reinstalled windows from scratch mutiple times

I have spent a couple months off and on trying to research and fix this problem, the only thing I can think of is that there is an IRQ conflict with my video card or my wireless adapter. I also notice now that the file mentioned at the bottom of the blue screen is si3112r.sys which now looks like something having to do with my Silicon Image raid control driver. *shrug*

If you have any tips to point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it :)

- Maleix

A quick google of that .sys file leads me to believe you should do simple troubleshooting, such as removing your hard drives and raid controller, throw in an old IDE drive with a quick windows install and see if that fixes it. If that doesn't work, change out one piece of hardware at a time and see if your problem is fixed.

haha, blue screens arent funny but it is when i'm havein the same issue (blue screen about driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. i just started a thread about it the other day here
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1112243

I also posted this on an asus forum and as i stated in my above thread it may be an issue with the 6800 video card and nvidia forceware drivers. i've been having issue with blue screens for a while but its been gettin worse

at least your bsod gives you a file at the bottom to help start your search on what could be the issue

Well nevermind, after lots and lots of troubleshooting I got it working.

All I had to do was force load the newest drivers from silicon image. I noticed last night that when I tried to load those drivers previously it wasn't installing the files I directed it to. So i booted into safe mod, uninstalled the old drivers then reinstalled the latest drivers. I have also seen a nice performance boost as well.

These were the correct drivers that worked for me.

http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3112r_x86_10561_logo.zip

Thanks all.

Back