Official CryENGINE 2 specifications

CryENGINE™ 2

Real time editing, bump mapping, static lights, network system, integrated physics system, shaders, shadows and a dynamic music system are just some of the state of-the-art features the CryENGINE™ 2 offers.

The CryENGINE™ 2 comes complete with all of its internal tools and also includes the CryENGINE 2 Sandbox world editing system. Licensees receive full source code and documentation for the engine and tools. Support is provided directly from the R & D Team that continuously develops the engine and can arrange teaching workshops for your team to increase the learning process.

The engine supports all video and hardware currently on the market. New hardware support is constantly added as it becomes available.

* CryENGINE Sandbox: Is a real-time game editor offering "What you see is what you PLAY" feedback.
* Renderer: integrates indoor and outdoor technology seamlessly. Offers rendering support for DirectX 8/9/10, Xbox360, PS3
* Physics System: supports vehicles, rigid bodies, liquid, rag doll, cloth and soft body effects. The system is integrated with the game and tools.
* Animation System: Playback and blending between motion data (captured or key framed) combined with inverse kinematics (using biomechanical hints) and physical simulations. Special attention was applied to realistic human animation (e.g. adapting to uneven terrain, eye tracking, facial animation, leaning when running around corners, natural motion transitions).
* AI System: Enables team based AI and AI behaviors defined by scripts. Ability to create custom enemies and behaviors without touching the C++ code.
* Data-driven Sound System: Complex sounds can be easily created and offer innovative use and impression in studio quality in any available surround configuration. Multi-platform compatibility is guaranteed by FMOD’s sound library.
* Interactive Dynamic Music System: Improved playback of music tracks by an arbitrarily logic that can react on any game events and support the player to experience a movie-like sound track.
* Environmental Audio: Achieve a dense sound impression by accurately reproduce sounds from nature with seamless blending between environments and their effects from interior/exterior locations.
* Network Client and Server System: Manages all network connections for the multiplayer mode. It is a low-latency network system based on client/server architecture. The module was completely rewritten to accomplish the demands of next-generation multiplayer games.
* Shaders: A script system used to combine textures in different ways to produce visual effects. Supports real time per-pixel lighting, bumpy reflections, refractions, volumetric glow effects, animated textures, transparent computer displays, windows, bullet holes, and shinny surfaces.
* Terrain: Uses an advanced heightmap system and polygon reduction to create massive, realistic environments. The view distance can be up to 2km when converted from game units.
* Voxel Object: Allows creating geometry a heightmap system wouldn’t support to create cliffs, caves, canyons and alien shapes. Voxel editing is as easy as heightmap editing and fast in rendering.
* Lighting and Shadows: A combination of precalculated properties with high quality real time shadows to produce a dynamic environment. Includes high-resolution, correct perspective, and volumetric smooth-shadow implementations for dramatic and realistic indoor shadowing. Supports advanced particles technology and any kind of volumetric lighting effects on particles.
* Fog: Includes volumetric, layer and view distance fogging even with non homogeneous media to enhance atmosphere and tension.
* Tools Integration: Objects and buildings created using 3ds max™ or Maya® are integrated within the game and editor.
* Resource Compiler: Assets become compiled in the platform dependent format by the resource compiler. This allows to do global changes (e.g. mipmap computation, mesh stripification) depending on presets and platforms without scarifying loading time.
* Polybump™ 2: Standalone or fully integrated with other tools including 3ds max™. Creates a high quality surface description that allows very quick extraction of surface features normal maps in tangent-space or object-space, displacement maps, unoccluded area direction, accessibility and other properties.
* Scripting system: Based on the popular LUA language. This easy to use system allows the setup and tweaking of weapons/game parameters, playing of sounds and loading of graphics without touching the C++ code.
* Flow graph: The flow graph system allows the designers to code game logic without touching a line of code. Coding basically becomes connecting boxes and defining properties.
* Modularity: Entirely written in modular C++, with comments, documentation and subdivisions into multiple DLLs.
* Multi-threading: Support for multiprocessors improves multiplayer by reducing network latency and speeds up CPU computations in various areas.
* 64Bit: We support 32bit and 64bit OS to allow more memory being utilized.

The videos I've seen blow me away.

Looking forward to this game a lot more than UT2007.

nice.. and my 6800gt just jumped out the window... bye fella :(

Techx said:
nice.. and my 6800gt just jumped out the window... bye fella :(

I have to stick with my 6800GT untill Quad Core / 2cond gen DX 10 cards
:(

I hate this trend to move as much as possible out of the game code and into some stupid scripting language no ones never heard of.

Well i am usually always a early adopter when it comes to hardware but this time im holding off for Quad Cores for Vista, And im also gonna try to hold off for ATIs card just to see what it has up its sleeve.

I'm really excited about the new CryEngine :) It will blow me away just like first one in FarCry. Personally, I'd love to wait for DX10 cards, but i'm going to give in and buy an ATi Radeon X1950 512MB because I don't want to fork out a rediculous amount of money when the DX10 cards are released (more rediculous than the X1950)... and remember guys that just like DX9, you won't see alot of "amazing" effects untill it's matured a little bit. Then, you're looking at another 6 months before the truly powerful DX10 ones come out.

Back