Power Conditioning

Silent Fart

Limp Gawd
Is power conditioning really that important? I mean with my home theatre I use a ups with a surge protector. Isn't that the same thing as power conditioning? Why would I want to do power conditioning?

A power conditioner will output steady, clean power i.e. 110v@60Hz with no surges or sags. Since most UPSs come with "insurance guarantees" you can assume they are acting as conditioners.

PS-RagE said:
A power conditioner will output steady, clean power i.e. 110v@60Hz with no surges or sags. Since most UPSs come with "insurance guarantees" you can assume they are acting as conditioners.

Yep, also some people will have issues with distortion on their plasmas and snowing due to dirty power.

This will help eliminate those issues.

PS-RagE said:

False. A power conditioner will only output clean power, with no surges - meaning it will go as high as 120v, never higher, and will go down to about 106 (this only occurs when everything hooked up to it is being turned on). Typically, with everything on, expect your power to be at 116 to 118v

A voltage stabilizer keeps the power at 120v all the time.

Trust me, Monster Power stuffed that in my head when I worked at Best Buy :rolleyes:

Whenever I see someone asking about power conditioning, I just refer them to one of Dan Rutter's several articles on the topic. Good information, and great fun to read.

i used a voltage regulator to clean up my PC audio, (which it did) but there was a lesson learned; get one to match your setup. mine overloaded when i switched to a bigger power supply.

Silent Fart said:
Would you say an APC UPS would be up to snuff for my HT system.
That depends on the size of the UPS. Make sure it can handle the load, and you should be in good shape. It'll help you ride out power dips as well.

Could dirty power cause crackling in speakers like interfernece on the radio when you drive under power lines.

My roomates home theater system will do this sometimes.

It's certainly possible if you have no power conditioning and if his equipment doesn't have high-quality power supplies. Another likely scenario is that there are loose physical connections, and stray vibrations or bumps are causing the noise.

Back