Introducing Dell Monitor Price Alerter v0.5

gamefreak1450

Weaksauce
In light of the recent Dell monitor blowout , many of us (including I) have wished there was some automated program for monitoring Dell monitors for price changes.

Well, I decided it would benefit humanity to quicky conjure up a program to check prices of Dell Monitors (almost all of them) every minute, and dispach e-mail notifications when a price change occurs. Just select a monitor and put in your e-mail address, and you will be alerted within one minute of a price change.

Since it only was developed today, it's only a Beta, and new features will be added based on global usage. So, make me feel popular and check it out.

Dell Monitor Price Alterter v0.71:
http://dell.myt0.com <- NEW URL!

New in v0.7 -----------------------------------------------
* SMS & AIM notifications (not totally implemented yet)
* Very new UI... I think it's pretty sweet if you ask me.
* More options for selecting when you receive notifications.
* Donation link. Drop me a few bucks if you wish :)

New in v0.6 ------------------------------------------------
* Slightly better support for lower resolutions
* Login System
* Customized URL watching
* Customized URL alerts
* Decreased update speed to 3 minutes, still plenty often enough.

Kudos to my cousin, JaYp146 for rounding up the URLs... a tedious and unrewarding but nontheless important part. If you feel he missed any monitors, you can e-mail or PM them to me.

Cheeers,
Tom D.

yevaud said:
Cool. Any chance of adding procs to the list? I have a feeling they will be flushing some in the next week.

I'm playing around with the possibility of letting users add their own URLs to monitor... give me a day or so to toy around with ideas on how to not strain my Internet connection too much.

Maybe if I increased the time to once every 5 minutes? Is 5 min. too long?

gamefreak1450 said:
I'm playing around with the possibility of letting users add their own URLs to monitor... give me a day or so to toy around with ideas on how to not strain my Internet connection too much.

Maybe if I increased the time to once every 5 minutes? Is 5 min. too long?

5 minutes may be the difference betweengettting the deal and not getting it :p

i appreciate you helping out. Maybe try out 2.5 minutes?

clickclickw00t said:
5 minutes may be the difference betweengettting the deal and not getting it :p

i appreciate you helping out. Maybe try out 2.5 minutes?

I don't think Crontab can do half-minutes. Can we settle on 3 minutes?

its your program and your bandwidth hahhaha

i bet you can get one of these [H] guys with like 10 folding machines to run that prog for you 24/7....

clickclickw00t said:
its your program and your bandwidth hahhaha

i bet you can get one of these [H] guys with like 10 folding machines to run that prog for you 24/7....

Heh. I don't know about that, but I can make the time 3 minutes and then consider how to do more products...

See... I built the HTML scraper special for monitors, I don't know if it'll work for anything else. I presume it will, but it may not. If it doesn't work, I'm not going to try and make it work.

-Tom

Hey, this is the OP's cousin. We've been working on this together for the better part of this afternoon / evening with great success. He's a superb coder, but if you guys have any suggestions, feel free to give suggestions. Hopefully those of us who didn't land the Dell 20.1" LCD deal can at least redeem our frugal selves and find an awesome buy.

Note: We're also working on compiling URL's / info pertaining to other items, including laptops and digital cameras. :p

would be cool if you were able to integrate the system into sending H-PM's or AIM/MSN messages also, since most of us don't refresh out http email inbox every few minutes.

Lukeman said:
would be cool if you were able to integrate the system into sending H-PM's or AIM/MSN messages also, since most of us don't refresh out http email inbox every few minutes.

Yes, I will consider the possibility of sending AIM messages. Unfortunately that means I have to get perl working.

Check back later to see how it turns out.

Lukeman said:

Or you could set up a url monitor to alert you when the price alerter webpage changes- or would this cause too much traffic? Or you could put your pager address in there (if you have a pager that can be set off in this fashion) sleep with it under the pillow..HEH

NOTE TO DELL: Please temporarily adjust the price of the 2407WFP to $200 so we can test this system.

yevaud said:
NOTE TO DELL: Please temporarily adjust the price of the 2407WFP to $200 so we can test this system.

I second this request. :D

Wow. It seems that there is a large request for customizable URLs. I will get on that, right after I get Instant Messaging alerts down.

-Tom

Zero82z said:
Awesome... Any way to monitor Dell.ca too? :)

I wouldn't get your hopes up unless it has the exact same HTML structure as Dell.com. Can't you just order from Dell.com and have it shipped to Canada?

Cool deal. If needed I have a decent amount of BW to share. I have 1,287 GIGS of BW available before I run over my monthly limit and am only currently using 2 gigs of it. Send me a PM and I have a user and login available that I share for another forum I frequent.

First of all, awesome work and thanks alot!

Will I get an email if the price changes to higher than the current price? Just wondering if a 2007wfp goes from $367 to $499 will I get an email.

HarvInSTL said:
First of all, awesome work and thanks alot!

Will I get an email if the price changes to higher than the current price? Just wondering if a 2007wfp goes from $367 to $499 will I get an email.

Hmm... yes you will. That's an important oversight I made... thanks for bringing it to my attention.

hity645 said:
Very nice, though Im having problems displayin in firefox.
That's funny. I use Firefox 1.5.0.4 and it works fine for me. Any additional details you would like to give?

Thanks,
Tom

gamefreak1450 said:
That's funny. I use Firefox 1.5.0.4 and it works fine for me. Any additional details you would like to give?

Thanks,
Tom

the text on the left column is overlapping. I have the same version as you as well.

Anyways thanks for the site!

gamefreak1450 said:

Thanks,
Tom

Hmm I jumped the gun too quick, I have my browser on the lower half of my monitor, so its effectivly cut in half horizontally. The notes and prices get squished together. When I go full screen its fine.

Ah yes... the application is made for 1280x1024 resolution and anything less will have text overlapping. Sorry, but this is a way to be lazy for me... and all geeks like lazy :)

-Tom

No problem, the monitors Im concerned about are on the top of the page.

Hello, and greetings.

Verison 0.6 has been released as of 12:12 EST.

New in this version is:

* Slightly better support for lower resolutions
* Login System
* Customized URL watching
* Customized URL alerts
* Decreased update speed to 3 minutes, still plenty often enough.

Thanks to the 150+ people who have already signed up for alerts, and keep them coming!

Back