I need help finding something.

Spartan611

Limp Gawd
Ok guys, when I get my computer which will be in about a month or month and a half, I would like to get an HD-PVR. Not an HD-DVR because then you have to buy a box and subscribe to service. I would rather just pay $100-200 for a card then $300 plus service for something I don't really need. But I would like to pick up an HD-PVR in case I do ever want to use it. So it has to be either PCI or PCI-E, and I need to be able to record, play, and rewind and other things on HDTV quality and shows plus regular TV. Just like a normal DVR. So the only thing I have found under the category of HD-PVR is the ATI HDTV Wonder. Is that all there is? Or are there other cards? Thanks guys I really appreciate it. And even though I am not getting my comp for a while, I would still like you guys to reply ASAP please. Thanks.

Also I already have a HDTV with a ATSC tuner and a HDTV Digital Cable Box. So all I really need is the PVR function. If I get a card, will it interfer with the box and tuner inside the TV?

For what you want you should get that DVR instead. The only way you'll get HD it's going to be the over the air (OTA) stuff. You can't do HD with a digital cable box and you won't be able too until Vista ships with support for CableCard.
Spartan611 said:
Ok guys, when I get my computer which will be in about a month or month and a half, I would like to get an HD-PVR. Not an HD-DVR because then you have to buy a box and subscribe to service. I would rather just pay $100-200 for a card then $300 plus service for something I don't really need. But I would like to pick up an HD-PVR in case I do ever want to use it. So it has to be either PCI or PCI-E, and I need to be able to record, play, and rewind and other things on HDTV quality and shows plus regular TV. Just like a normal DVR. So the only thing I have found under the category of HD-PVR is the ATI HDTV Wonder. Is that all there is? Or are there other cards? Thanks guys I really appreciate it. And even though I am not getting my comp for a while, I would still like you guys to reply ASAP please. Thanks.

Also I already have a HDTV with a ATSC tuner and a HDTV Digital Cable Box. So all I really need is the PVR function. If I get a card, will it interfer with the box and tuner inside the TV?

CrimandEvil said:
For what you want you should get that DVR instead. The only way you'll get HD it's going to be the over the air (OTA) stuff. You can't do HD with a digital cable box and you won't be able too until Vista ships with support for CableCard.

No I have a Digital cable box that does HD. That is not my question. I am just wondering if there is an HD-PVR meaning a PVR that records in HD as well as SD.

Spartan611 said:
No I have a Digital cable box that does HD. That is not my question. I am just wondering if there is an HD-PVR meaning a PVR that records in HD as well as SD.
I just told you, the only HD you'll be able to do is OTA.

But I am confused right now. I already have HD channels and can watch them perfectly with the cable box I already have. Are you saying I would only be able to RECORD OTA HD channels?

Spartan611 said:
But I am confused right now. I already have HD channels and can watch them perfectly with the cable box I already have. Are you saying I would only be able to RECORD OTA HD channels?
Yes, you have an STB that does all the HD decoding for you but due to certain reasons (like Hollywood thinking everyone is a pirate) you can't input that HD feed into a PC for PVR work. The only HD you can work with is OTA because it's not encrypted.

Like I said, if you want to do that you need to wait for Vista because it will support CableCard.

CrimandEvil said:
Yes, you have an STB that does all the HD decoding for you but due to certain reasons (like Hollywood thinking everyone is a pirate) you can't input that HD feed into a PC for PVR work. The only HD you can work with is OTA because it's not encrypted.

Like I said, if you want to do that you need to wait for Vista because it will support CableCard.

But what happens if I don't have a cable card slot on my TV?

Cus I know I don't, I have a Samsung LN-S2651D HDTV LCD TV

Spartan611 said:

Cus I know I don't, I have a Samsung LN-S2651D HDTV LCD TV
The set top box you have now takes the signal from your cable company, decodes it and sends it out over component or HDMI to your TV, which just displays the signal. Without a cablecard your TV doesn't do anything but show the input it receives from the cable box. Right now, there's no way to capture the output from the cable box (in HD) on a PC - you can't decode it directly like a cable box, and you can't take the output from the box either.

For free over-the-air channels, you can get a TV Tuner card like the HDTV wonder or Fusion5 and have your PC tune into your local channels (abc, pbs etc) in HD, so you could make a HD PVR for those channels if you wanted using MCE, Sage or BTV.

Spartan611 said:
Why does that matter? You're putting the CableCard into the PC so that you can use it, how else are you going to do PVR stuff with it?

Back