Samsung announces "slim" CRT HDTV

sanitystream

Limp Gawd
"Yes, we know the consumer electronics industry wants us all to upgrade our TVs to brand spanking new LCD jobs - with HDTV dangled before us as bait - but some of us prefer the better picture quality, greater screen longevity and, frankly, lower price benefits of good old CRT technology.

It seems Samsung, for one, has been listening and has been showing off its latest CRT TV this week at CeBIT. The 32in telly has two key features: it's far slimmer than conventional CRTs and - crucially - it's HD Ready."

samsung_hd_crt_2.jpg

Yes, the CTV-32Z30 is ready to show high definition broadcasts - or will be when it ships in a few months' time. It's ready to go with an HDMI connector on the back, and presumably there'll be the usual array of SCART and s-video connectors too. Samsung didn't say what the maximum resolution is, but other HD CRTs it's offered elsewhere go up to 1080i.

The CTV-32Z30 is part of Samsung's SlimFit range. The company says a 30in display will be just 40cm (16in) front to back, compared to 60cm (24in) for a conventional CRT screen.

The screen is expected in the UK in May for around £350."

the article:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/13/samsung_hd_ready_crt_tv/

Yuck, radiation tubes, shiney glass, interlace lines and flickering. I think I'll pass and wait for 50+" 1080p plasmas and rear projection DLPs to come down in price.

dlps wont be coming down in price, unless you talking about the ones that are out now. They will be replacing the light bulb with something different not sure if it was leds? or some sort of light bulb that doesnt suck as much. Also the color wheel will be replaced with color leds.
:)

as for that crt the only thing that would bother me is the res

My guess is this SlimFit fixes some problems with pervious versions. Actually, I myself own a 27" SlimFit. Only problems I have seen is slight discoloration in the corners and low bowing on the left and right sides- due to a crappy transformer. :rolleyes: Aside from that though (you get used to it) it is an EXCELLENT TV. Color is VERY rich. Just make sure to tune the SlimFit's up (whit Avia). The factory values are horrible. Picture is also spectacular on HD channels (but of coruse the 27" uses V-Compression (not a widescreen TV)).

Itll be interesting to see with the new 32 incher anyway. Im curious to see if they changed anything (aside from a larger picture tube). :)

EDIT: Actually looks exactly like mine (aside form the widescreen part of course).

slimfitSetup.JPG

sanitystream said:
Just get a DVI to HDMI adaptor for $10...

http://www.svideo.com/gefendvi.html

I never buy from those kinds of sites (theres just something about them....). With that aside there are some great deals out there for a HDMI-DVI adapter. Ebay has some good auctions, and there are some cheap generic's out there.

So roughly speaking, if it's 800 max. lines of horizontal resolution, this means it's basically a 1440x800 resolution, ja?

And it does bear mentioning, the 30" inch version weighs 132 pounds, so this is not a light-weight piece of equipment. By comparison, the 30" Dell 3007 LCD monitor weighs only 25 pounds.

You have to think in terms of CRT displays ;)

As for the resolution, I am not entirely sure. I never really figured out how to calculate that. :confused:

It was more of a quality display then the resolution, that I was worried about when I bought mine.

ValeX said:
Hmm, maybe im not so excited, thats not a great resolution....i guess i'll wait a bit and see if LCD's improve or something...

ValeX
*Wonder's when SED's will start being manufactured.* Thats then LCD's should start to hit the prices near CRT's. For now the SlimFit is a great "filler" until that LCD price does come down.

PS. I am wondering why some of you are so picky when it comes to resolution? Is it because you will be using a DVI-HDMI adapter to hook your comp up to it? Its not like it really matters with normal TV viewing.

PS^2. Dont even THINK of using that composite connection on the back of the TV. Really butchers the connection up (especially when using it from your video card). S-Video is nice, but for some reason it causes considerable bowing.

DaRkF0g said:
PS. I am wondering why some of you are so picky when it comes to resolution? Is it because you will be using a DVI-HDMI adapter to hook your comp up to it? Its not like it really matters with normal TV viewing.

Yes, exactly.

By chance have you tried a DVI to HDMI connection before?

Is it just me or is 40 cm still too thick? Not a knock but why do people still want CRT tv sets aside from the lower price? I've owned a couple of the trinitrons and checked out the samsungs, panasonics, etc... and even the cheapest plasma is head and shoulders better than the best crts I've observed in terms of colour, clarity, sharpness, weight and sleek factor. Besides the screen burnin issue and cost, I'm surprised there isn't more people migrating to plasma technology now that prices are dropping. Waiting for OLED tv panels I suppose?

sanitystream said:
So roughly speaking, if it's 800 max. lines of horizontal resolution, this means it's basically a 1440x800 resolution, ja?

And it does bear mentioning, the 30" inch version weighs 132 pounds, so this is not a light-weight piece of equipment. By comparison, the 30" Dell 3007 LCD monitor weighs only 25 pounds.

A 30" CRT HDTV at 132 pounds is nothing. Well, at least it seems like nothing compared to my Sony 36" CRT HDTV that weighs around 220 lbs. :p

*EDIT: (dont want to double post)*
minase said:
... and even the cheapest plasma is head and shoulders better than the best crts I've observed in terms of colour, clarity, sharpness, weight and sleek factor.

So you're telling me a cheapo plasma is going to have better color, clarity, and sharpness than a high-end CRT? Do us all a favor and get your eyes checked. ;)

Tried the HDMI, but it was not for my computer. I use it with my Sony HDMI DVD player (pictured above).

The only reason I havent tried a DVI-HDMI is because my box is too far away from the TV set. I know there are distance limitations with HDMI.

As far as my DVD player goes I cant see any real difference between that and Component. I have switched back and forth and they look the same.

I would imagine though, with a DVI to HDMI connection the picture would be NEAR PERFECT! Cant really read text with a S-Video connection all that well (unless it is really big). Good playing games on mostly.

zero002021 said:
A 30" CRT HDTV at 132 pounds is nothing. Well, at least it seems like nothing compared to my Sony 36" CRT HDTV that weighs around 220 lbs. :p
I remeber picking a friends 36" WEGA up. That was not fun at all. Its amazing a cabinet can even support those things! :p

sanitystream said:
The screen is expected in the UK in May for around £350."

Wow -- I just realized if that price held for America, it converts to only $615. Not bad at all.

zero002021 said:
So you're telling me a cheapo plasma is going to have better color, clarity, and sharpness than a high-end CRT? Do us all a favor and get your eyes checked. ;)

I said cheapest and best "OF" the models I've observed. And "cheapest" as in the least expensive model at the showroom floor not the shittiest built plama. Next time think before you speak out your ass.

Thats probably a smart decision. Its better to invest a little more in something if you are going to be happy with it in the long run.

minase said:
I said cheapest and best "OF" the models I've observed. And "cheapest" as in the least expensive model at the showroom floor not the shittiest built plama. Next time think before you speak out your ass.

I always think before speaking out my ass, but obviously you don't. No plasma comes close to the image quality/color production that a high-end CRT provides.

Back