PA160 in a P180

Erasmus354

[H]F Junkie
I finally got some batteries for my digital camera so I can show what I accomplished over my spring break. I was finally able to get the PA160 I had been wanting for awhile, and move my components into my P180. I also got some 3/8" tubing and the adapters needed for me to test the Cuplex XT against my TDX. However, this is probably going to have to wait awhile. First of all time is an issue for me right now, and second of all at this time of year my ambient temperatures vary wildly, causing my temps to fluctuate by more than 5C. This makes any decent comparison near impossible. Hopefully it will get hot enough soon for me to turn on the AC.

Anyways, the pictures.

Here is a shot of the entire setup
watercooling 001.jpg

Here you can see a closeup of the PA160. It really is a tight fit with maybe 1 or 2 mm of clearance. It is however a perfect fit. The thing bolts perfectly into the existing front fan mount. The modifications made to the case were the removal of the 3.5" bay which needed the removal of 8 rivets, 4 of which were difficult because I couldn't get a drill at them. The bottom 5.5" bay also needs to be removed. That takes the removal of 4 rivets, and then I had to cut away 6 tabs holding the bay to the bays above it.
watercooling 002.jpg

CPU Area
watercooling 003.jpg

PSU/HDD Area
watercooling 004.jpg

Fillport
watercooling 005.jpg

Entire Setup
watercooling 006.jpg

very nice job E354! nicely done with the fillport and part locations.... now its time to see the new block in there! :p

It is surprising how perfectly the rad fits in there. Nicely done, should be some pretty good cooling for a single CPU. :D

What is the noise like? Does the P180's multi-layer construction really help in this aspect?

MonoDestro said:
It is surprising how perfectly the rad fits in there. Nicely done, should be some pretty good cooling for a single CPU. :D

What is the noise like? Does the P180's multi-layer construction really help in this aspect?

The multilayer construction helps a lot. It completely blanks out the quiet drone the D5 makes. When the fans are at full blast there is a bit of noise from the front fan, probably caused by the grill right in front of it. If I turn the fans to 7V or lower the thing is pretty close to silent.

Sounds good, definitely considering getting this case with water in mind later.

Can't wait for some temps and the block comparison!

just curious as i have about the same setup what your temps are at idle and load did'nt see them in your sig
very nice clean set up wish mine looked that good
tom

Back