xbox 360 vs new 7800 GTX

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
Ok here is my dilema ..i have a xbox 360 core system ..and i haven't really touched it in atleast a few weeks and i enjoy it i really do but .. i have a pretty decent computer

AMD 3000+ 939 OC'd to 2.6ghz
DFI Lanparty UT NF4
gig of corsair 3200CS2 pro (led's)
2x36 gig western digital 10k raptor drives.

here is the kick ..i have a Nvidia 6600GT BFG card and its really starting to show its age ..it can't run anything good over 1024x768 without any AF or AA without serious chuggin in the frame rate .

now i can sell my xbox 360 to a friend for 279 (only about 30 dollars off the cost for me since i got it walmart) and replace the rest of the cost my-self for a 7800GTX ..

What do you guys think? and please be objective don't come in and just shout "ATI pwns nvidia" or some other crap. Thanks

Well I guess it depneds on what games you want to play. I would say go with the video card. Really you cant compare them performance wise. I say you should look at the next year of pc games and the next year of xbox 360 games and make you decision.

Not a good decision. It's a mistake to sell a game machine that plays games that look better than what any high end computer can produce now and will only look better when developers fully utilize the system's capabilities. Even with the 7800gtx, your system will still be vastly inferior to the Xbox360.

Keep the Xbox360 and buy the 7800gtx when it becomes alot cheaper around the time the 7900 series of cards are released.

tacosareveryyummy said:
Well I guess it depneds on what games you want to play. I would say go with the video card. Really you cant compare them performance wise. I say you should look at the next year of pc games and the next year of xbox 360 games and make you decision.
this is really the best answer. there are some 360 games that look better than games on a high end PC, and there are some games that look better on the PC than their 360 counterpart. it's hard to compare the power of 2 completely different architectures, so it all comes down to which games you want to play more.

An XBox 360's entertainment value will only increase with time, as its collection of games expands from launch titles. Conversely, a 7800 gtxs relative power to the best of the best will drop slowly but surely in the coming months.

Personally I would keep the 360 and save up for a new video card, avoiding the folly of instant gratification and ending up with an Xbox and a computer.

Plus, a 360 is a significantly more social gaming system, as it allows for multiple players on the same machine, something a PC can't do in most games.

The 360 is a big catch 22. It is only "better" than the PC if you throw down the $$ for a HDTV. 1080i is not even at the level I currently play some of my FPS, and my PC uses higher levels of AA and AF. I know that the 360's 3 CPU cores are not being used by current games, but how does that work in the favor of keeping the 360?

edit: pc multiplayer over the internet is unsurpassed.

Dude, complete mistake. A 7800GTX is already last gen's technology. The video processor in the XBox 360 smokes it. Also, you can probably sell your used XBox 360 on Ebay for well above retail. Second, if you have a HDTV it is a no brainer b/c the XBox 360 is on par with a PC with a FX dual core and X1900XT. You are being taken for a ride with an inferior video card that will stutter compared to your shiny new console. Your friend will be laughing all the way to the bank.

nicorulez said:
Dude, complete mistake. A 7800GTX is already last gen's technology. The video processor in the XBox 360 smokes it. Also, you can probably sell your used XBox 360 on Ebay for well above retail. Second, if you have a HDTV it is a no brainer b/c the XBox 360 is on par with a PC with a FX dual core and X1900XT. You are being taken for a ride with an inferior video card that will stutter compared to your shiny new console. Your friend will be laughing all the way to the bank.
seriously i would love to see a 360 kill a comp running ANY NEW GAME at 1080i with 8AA and 16AF Vs a FX 60 and 4 gigs of ram and a GTX512 SLI/1900XTX CF at 1080i and 8AA and 16AF. who would win here. not much of a tough decision

Gmeister said:
Not a good decision. It's a mistake to sell a game machine that plays games that look better than what any high end computer can produce now and will only look better when developers fully utilize the system's capabilities. Even with the 7800gtx, your system will still be vastly inferior to the Xbox360.

Keep the Xbox360 and buy the 7800gtx when it becomes alot cheaper around the time the 7900 series of cards are released.

What about when they start using 64bit, duel core and SM 3.0 fully? PC games ~ the 360 right now. You don't know which will pull ahead and when.

Dark_fire said:
seriously i would love to see a 360 kill a comp running ANY NEW GAME at 1080i with 8AA and 16AF Vs a FX 60 and 4 gigs of ram and a GTX512 SLI/1900XTX CF at 1080i and 8AA and 16AF. who would win here. not much of a tough decision

1080i is pretty low resolution. Besides the 360 uses 2/4x aa and no AF.

tacosareveryyummy said:

For the most part i play nearly all kinds of games except sports games. I love RTS's but doesn't seem worth it to upgrade for RTS's alone ..i love first person shooters as well and thats where i notice the choke point for my video card. Love RPG's as well but i know elder scrolls : oblivion is gonna look better on the box cause it won't take a monster of a PC to run it at high rez i mean ... did you see the min system to even run it with a decent frame rate? ..geez

Obi_Kwiet said:
What about when they start using 64bit, duel core and SM 3.0 fully? PC games ~ the 360 right now. You don't know which will pull ahead and when.
of course we know which will pull ahead: the PC. of course, it'll cost you at least 3 times as much to put together a PC that can do the things a 360 can. if money is no object, get both. if you want the best graphics now and 3 years from now, get a PC. if money is tight, get a 360.

Dark_fire said:
yes, but wait 3 years and play the newest games coming out at 4x AA at 1080i and the 360 will smoke that PC. its all judgemental, personally, I would go for the video card.

I've got the 360 and I can't believe you'd actually consider trading it even for a 7800GTX . As much as I would like to get my hands on one or a pair of them, there is no way I would trade my 360 for one. The games aren't the best launch games I've ever played but what the hell they're better than anything else out at the moment(for console games). Keep your 360 and save up for the next generation of video cards, that's what I'm doing.

i think it's a draw. his 3000+ is gonna bottleneck whatever he puts on there. that Xbox 360 doesn't have AA for crap anyway. Sell the 360, save that money for a DX10 card.

Personally, the 360 isn't that impressive to me. I would sell the 360 and get a 7800 GT (to save a some cash mostly) and wait for things on the 360 to mature alittle more (ie: wait to buy another one when some great games for it start coming out).

i have 2 360's and a 7800gt sli rig on my pc. i would never sell my xboxes. since i installed mce2005 on my pcs with media extender i can use the xbox to watch movies(dvd and mpeg, no divx) listen to mp3s, see photos and watch the online tv channels on any tv or hifi in my home. i dont have hdtv yet, but i have a few big screen sony wegas and the xbox looks just as good as my sli rig (except on call of duty). anti aliasing would be nice in all games on the xbox, but the type of games i play i am usually moving too fast to admire the scenery. dont sell your 360!! its a great machine, and will get better. mine have never had a crash or any other issue, and they have been in continuous use since christmas. sell your little brother or sister, or sell your blood to upgrade, but hang on to the 360.

I would certainly choose 360 over a PC videocard, even if PC is more powerful you just cant beat Xbox Live, and you'll have a much wider variety of games to play on 360. I have a pretty powerful PC but havent played it much since getting my 360 on launch day.

cyks said:
The 360 is a big catch 22. It is only "better" than the PC if you throw down the $$ for a HDTV. 1080i is not even at the level I currently play some of my FPS, and my PC uses higher levels of AA and AF. I know that the 360's 3 CPU cores are not being used by current games, but how does that work in the favor of keeping the 360?

edit: pc multiplayer over the internet is unsurpassed.
WTF are you talking about. You can buy a vga adapter for $39.99 and get HDTV on your PC monitor.

My uncle just got an xbox 360 premium and he is running it on a 60" Samsung DLP HDTV in 1080i mode and I can honestly say it did not impress me at all. Jaggies everywhere and just not really clean looking in my opinion. I would say go for a 7800

The 360 is a more worthwhile investment. Assuming that it will last 4 years (pretty much a given), that's an average of $100-150/year for hardware and XBL. On top of that you get to play the latest and greatest games at max quality settings. Granted a super high end computer can have higher resolution, but it's a negligible difference with a steep price tag. Unless you're anal retentive and have to play everything with a keyboard and mouse, you'll get more out of a 360. Who really enjoys using a keyboard anyway? A mouse offers quality control, but a keyboard? :p

I believe my 7800GT running Battle Field 2 @ 1600x1200 with 4xAA 8xAF sure would warrant an Xbox sale. But then again, my PC could use a bitch.

Backslider said:
I believe my 7800GT running Battle Field 2 @ 1600x1200 with 4xAA 8xAF sure would warrant an Xbox sale. But then again, my PC could use a bitch.

Wouldn't that be you? I mean you are spending all of that money on it....just like having a girlfriend... :eek:

StealthyFish said:
i think it's a draw. his 3000+ is gonna bottleneck whatever he puts on there. that Xbox 360 doesn't have AA for crap anyway. Sell the 360, save that money for a DX10 card.
How many times have I seen this theory on this forum in the past month? How is a A64 @ 2.6Ghz going to be the bottle neck of the system? 2.6Ghz will not bottleneck a graphics card. :rolleyes:

The best response the the original post. It all comes down to personal preference and games. Look at the games you want and what systems you can get them for, and which system you like gaming on better. Some people love to play with a controller, others prefer the keyboard and mouse. ( For me its a keyboard and mouse!) You guys are argueing over nothing. It is nearly impossible to make a current or future performace comparision between these two systems. Plus both systems will have good games, great gaming, and look awesome while doing it. Choose one and keep gaming!!

One bit of advice. You already have the 360, and a 6600GT. Why not just save your money and then upgrade your graphics card when you have the money? You can still game on both platforms even if the PC graphics card is a little old. In another couple months $250 bucks will get you a 7800GT, if it can't already.

LunaticPuma said:
Wouldn't that be you? I mean you are spending all of that money on it....just like having a girlfriend... :eek:

I have no use for a girlfriend, not unless my wife changes here position on that situation. And just for your information, I'm her bitch, cause thats the way I like it.

Backslider said:
I have no use for a girlfriend, not unless my wife changes here position on that situation. And just for your information, I'm her bitch, cause thats the way I like it.

:eek:

I too am married. I know how it goes. In the end, aren't we all bitches to the things/people we love... ;)

Keep the 360!! :cool:

I haven't touched my xbox360 in the past month. Just waiting for games like halo3/etc. I think you would regret selling it.

try to save some money and get a 7800gt. You can get one for about 280 shipped

Gmeister said:
WTF are you talking about. You can buy a vga adapter for $39.99 and get HDTV on your PC monitor.

You can do the same with the component cable, also.

keep the 360 (think long term and new games in the future), sell your 6600gt for 100 bux, add 100 bux to that and buy a 6800gs maybe, give you that additional boost you are looking for.

Keep the Xbox, it will pay off later. Save and buy a 7800GT or even a GTX when the new cards come out and the price drops. Its all about waiting game.

Overall.. I think the 360 offers a lot in terms of bang for your buck..

I mean, try and build a pc that can play COD2 (and make it look AMAZING, with fluid +40 fps) for $400

mathesar said:
I would certainly choose 360 over a PC videocard, even if PC is more powerful you just cant beat Xbox Live, and you'll have a much wider variety of games to play on 360. I have a pretty powerful PC but havent played it much since getting my 360 on launch day.

What are you talking about!? The 360 has like 15 games total. The PC has thousands. PC online play is way better than XBL.

Hmm interesting thread....But going through it logically, I don't understand how one could claim a PC could outperform an Xbox 360.

-Games programmed for Xbox are specifically programmed for that system with exact specifications. This differs from PC games which have to be programmed with a large amount of compability in mind for several different configurations of several different systems. This will cause a good amount of overhead which will decrease performance.
-Xbox has the advantage of not being built with 100% gaming in mind. The system is built for the sole purpose of delivering game performance. With a PC, that's a bit different. It's built for much more general purposes and has many more layers of overhead to go through (ie the operating system).

Consider when PS2 was released. It's capabilities were FAR greater than what any PC at the time and it remained so for at least one or two years. I don't see why the Xbox 360 would be an exception.

What you people complaining about Xbox 360's graphic don't realize is that all the games released had minimal time with the final development kits. That means all these games don't even use 50% of the systems capabilities. When Fight Night Round 3 and other games in March come out, you PC only elitists will realize how ignorant your comments were.

BTW, I own an Xbox360 and a very powerful PC rig. I like both platforms.

I have about a machine as good as yours and I bought a 360. If you look at the retail release schedule for the PC for the rest of the year it really doesnt look that there is a lot coming out(thats not coming on the 360). Hopefully E3 this year will bring more PC gaming news.

If you guys know about some games that are coming this year that I dont please share.

In the interests of full disclosure I have a 52" HDTV and a pretty decent 5.1 home theater. CoD2 even at a lower res on the 360 than some of you guys can on your PC is (to me at least) a much better experience than what you can get on a PC regardless of the AA you got going on.

Multiplay is better on a PC IMHO because most games you connect to a server instead of hosting on someones PC like you do with a 360.

Waiting to upgrade my PC does gnaw at me though. I feel like I need to upgrade even though right now I hardly turn mine on cept to browse the web or do other crap that really doesnt need a high end PC to do.

Sure a 360 has its entire system integrated on a single chip, increasing performance, and its multi cores are not yet being used properly (like my X2's dual cores), but with all that in mind-- when I go out and buy one-- there would be, at most, 5 games I would be interested in. Consol games leave much to be desired.

I am glad someone brought up the VGA adapter, because that only reinforces my other claim: the 360 is mearly catching up to the pc's high resolution gaming. Sure it is great-- for consol users-- but I give it a big "Been there, done that." It maxes out at 1080i, and I play on a higher resolution, with more than 4x AA, at with AF.

cyks said:
Sure a 360 has its entire system integrated on a single chip, increasing performance, and its multi cores are not yet being used properly (like my X2's dual cores), but with all that in mind-- when I go out and buy one-- there would be, at most, 5 games I would be interested in. Consol games leave much to be desired..

What is left to be desired?

I own and have beaten my 5 360 games. I do not plan on buying any of the soon to be released titles, but I don't see why that's a deal breaker. The last PC games I bought were Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and Warhammer 40,000.

Back