Anyone in the twin cities using Linux

I am trying to setup linux on one of my computers so I can start learning how to use it better and eventually host my website off of it. I was wondering if there was anyone in the twin cities area that would be willing to get together for a evening and show me some of the stuff I am missing. My biggest problem right now has been getting the network to work correctly. I feel like I am going back in time to when I didnt know shit about MsDos and am trying to learn it all over again.

whatsisname - I live in Watertown, MN but would be willing to bring my computer to someones house if they are willing to help me out with this.

deuce - Thats exactly what I was looking for. Too bad the next new install thing is in april. Hopefully I can find someone on that site to help me out though.

I am in MN, but you are further along than I am.

I can't even get past an install.

Any suggestions on one that installs like WINXP, and after it installs it boots to a desktop?

HyperSlacker said:
whatsisname - I live in Watertown, MN but would be willing to bring my computer to someones house if they are willing to help me out with this.

deuce - Thats exactly what I was looking for. Too bad the next new install thing is in april. Hopefully I can find someone on that site to help me out though.

Yea, join the mailing list and go to a meeting. You'd be suprised how helpful some of them can be. You shouldn't have any trouble getting someone to help you install and setup before/after a meeting for a couple of beers.

I am in Bloomington. I would be glad to lend you a hand some weekend. That said, what type of network problem could you be having that can't be solved here? What distro, kernel version, and device are you using?

Tiny said:
I am in MN, but you are further along than I am.

I can't even get past an install.

Any suggestions on one that installs like WINXP, and after it installs it boots to a desktop?
Off the top of my head.. K/Ubuntu, OpenSuSE, Mandriva, Fedora, Xandros, and Linspire. Linspire being something of a 'windows clone.' All of them have easy graphical installers and end with you being in a Gnome or KDE desktop environment

I am not 100% sure its not a network card issue here. I dont even get a connected light on my router when I turn it on. Gonna try a new card and see if that helps any.

If I do get it working I am still going to visit a couple of those meetings and see if I cant learn some more of the basics of this os.

Back