Need feedback from chromebook owners

Seeing that android apps are coming to chromebooks I was wondering if its worth investing in a chromebook. What are some of the pros/cons, regrets/likes? Do the cpu's lack speed on chrome OS. I was particularly looking at the samsung or acer c720 but seeing that acer has an i3 out I wonder if its worth the extra $ or the celeron will suffice. I'm trying to be around 200 max but I see quite a few used ones going for 100-150. Just like to have a backup and something to keep around the house for guests. Or would I be better off with a cheap ultrabook or android based laptop/tablet.

I pre-ordered the first Samsung Chromebook in 2011 and have found it indispensable ever since. That Atom chip was a little sluggish at times but I never felt it was too under-powered. If I were to choose a model right now based on the processor alone, I would go for a low-watt Bay Trail chip.
Edit: Regarding the new model you mentioned, I think adding the Intel Core brand to the Chromebook selections is little more than a marketing gimmick for the speed-obsessed.

Last edited:
i had an acer c710 chromebook with the celeron, and it is VERY snappy. It is much faster than the bay trail atom n2850 in the 8.1 laptop that i have as well.

flash the chromebook bios, and put ubuntu, its a great laptop

thanks for the feedback. after reading up i was going to buy the bay trail acer c720 and found out the older c720 with the haswell benchmarked better even though its clocked lower so I may end up getting the haswell or spend a little more and get the i3. just wish all the android apps on google play were compatible. would be a no brainer.

I hope whatever you get works for you. I think the truth is a Chromebook is a Chromebook. Just stay away from ARM or old Atom processors and you probably can't go wrong.

I, for one, am not exactly excited about allowing Android to creep into Chrome OS. I am not convinced it's a good idea from a security perspective.

Why the hell is it impossible to find a Dell Chromebook 11. Did schools buy 500 of these each or something.

I have the Acer 720, which I got from Best Buy for $75 after turning in 2 windows XP laptops during a promotion they had.

I bought it only to serve as a backup computer since the batteries on the 2 old ones were shot anyways. I was not a fan going in, but I do like to try different operating systems just so I can at least have quality opinions.

I only use it for web surfing and the battery life is fantastic. It displays we pages fine and plays YouTube without issue. But outside of that I can not find much use. I did get to use one of the vouchers that came with it to use free wi-fi on a plane trip. It's also very snappy and responsive.

Since I have gotten into the Apple ecosystem, the Google ecosystem just doesn't make sense to me. But the Apple ecosystem is also not to the same level of dependency that the Google one is.

I did like the idea of getting the Samsung Chromebook that has LTE and you get 250MB per month of free data. That could be real useful. But the reviews for the performance of that model were not very good.

I find my Surface RT to be more useful, in my lifestyle, then the Chromebook. I was actually really surprised that Android apps didn't work on Chtomebook. I did not know that until after purchase. Seemed like a no brainer, especially is Android is most peoples introduction to Google services.

For $100 or even $200 I would easily look at the 8" & 10" tablets that Microcenter sells that run full Windows 8 (not RT) and also have Intel processors. You even get Microsoft Office. Fully functional operating system that will work with everything else. And small form factor.

I'm glad I got it and got to experience the operating system, but it is the least useful computer I have used.

Chromebooks need print driver support before I consider them. That alone would make them so much more successful.

Back