ASUS GTX 680 Pricing Information

EPOQ

[H]ard|Gawd
With all of the crap circulating with pricing and rumors, I thought I'd try to at least clear up the smaller aspects I could help with. I work for a hardware reseller....here's the info on the ASUS 680 on arrival and MSRP.
PS - they have been correct on their ship dates for pretty much all releases, including the 7970's (I got one).

20thrva.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure there will be 4GB versions, just gonna have to wait a while for them. Just as some are waiting for 6GB 7970s

I think AMD will stay firm on pricing with a $549 MSRP for the 680. If the Tom's leaks are true, 1600p is looking like it will favor the AMD cards in some of the most intensive titles out there (Metro 2033, Crysis). Definitely interested in seeing a fully OC'ed 7970 vs a fully OC'ed 680, and the temps the 680's run at.

Well more than that is mostly for MultiScreen gaming.. witch is a Niche in a niche... anyway the future is FXAA, TXAA etc.. witch use almost no memory or ram compared to traditional AA..

Memory will come into play @ 3x monitor resolutions, on a single 7970, BF3 maxxed out at 1820mb of mem used for 3600x1920 with no MSAA applied, no HBAO. just FXAA.

in the future I can see it becoming limiting, but for now it's more than enough even at 3600x1920, maybe not 3x 27 or 3x30" screens though.

Well more than that is mostly for MultiScreen gaming.. witch is a Niche in a niche... anyway the future is FXAA, TXAA etc.. witch use almost no memory or ram compared to traditional AA..

MOAR IS BETTAR. Common knowledge. Now, gimme my 7990 6GB card so I can waste it gaming in 1080p.

NO WAY the future is FXAA...

They blur the textures and gives out horrible results compare to MSAA.

FXAA will only be used under some circumstances where hardware performance is limited or VRAM.

FXAA will only be used under some circumstances where hardware performance is limited or VRAM.

In that case, maybe it's the future for mobile device gaming!

No when using Sharpness setting. But it's up to the developper to use that, otherwise you need an injector to force it.

Weren't the Asus cards about $50 more than the others when the 7970 launched as well?

Weren't the Asus cards about $50 more than the others when the 7970 launched as well?

This doesn't appear to be a DCII so I doubt this is the case. Every AIB has non-reference cards higher than MSRP, few that are $50 more than MSRP.

This is the SKU for the reference card, pretty sure ASUS wouldn't hike it's ref design card $50 unless they want to sell to purist ASUS fanboys and no one else.

Forceman is correct; reference ASUS 7970's launched $40 higher at $589.99 on newegg and then lowered down to $569.99 (iirc) about a week later.

Forceman is correct; reference ASUS 7970's launched $40 higher at $589.99 on newegg and then lowered down to $569.99 (iirc) about a week later.

Was that Newegg only, or all retailers? I'd have to compare it to other sites to see if that was just a mistake or if Newegg was price gouging or it was the legitimate ASUS MSRP. Either way, it SOUNDS like they changed their mind pretty quick, I'm going to assume they won't do that again HOWEVER our vendors don't have the pricing and availability from the other 680 manufacturers, so I can't say for sure. I will know shortly, though.

Was that Newegg only, or all retailers? I'd have to compare it to other sites to see if that was just a mistake or if Newegg was price gouging or it was the legitimate ASUS MSRP. Either way, it SOUNDS like they changed their mind pretty quick, I'm going to assume they won't do that again HOWEVER our vendors don't have the pricing and availability from the other 680 manufacturers, so I can't say for sure. I will know shortly, though.

the first week or so of the 7970 launch the only choices were Newegg's prices or Amazon for about $100 over MSRP. i imagine the shortage in supply helped fuel the ASUS markup but they were the highest markup of all the reference cards. that's the point i think Forceman is making. it's guaranteed that the same thing will happen with the 680 launch, just something to keep in mind.

the first week or so of the 7970 launch the only choices were Newegg's prices or Amazon for about $100 over MSRP. i imagine the shortage in supply helped fuel the ASUS markup but they were the highest markup of all the reference cards. that's the point i think Forceman is making. it's guaranteed that the same thing will happen with the 680 launch, just something to keep in mind.

The picture I listed is not subject to price gouging. Unfortunately this does not apply to the general public as it's only available to hardware resellers (my price on the ASUS card is actually $535). But $549 is the LISTED MSRP, meaning this is what it *should* be, to be line with the other 680 reference cards. Once the others are listed I will definitely compare and post prices to reflect this.

good info, looking forward to updates on the other vendors. you going to jump ship EPOQ?

I'm actually holding out for a 7990/whatever the next Nvidia card is. I'm not partial to either, in fact, prior to my 7970 I've been green since my Radeon 9800. With an upcoming Eyefinity setup, I can already see the 2GB 680 probably won't work for the framerate I'm looking for.

Synnex is always overpriced on most things compared to other distributors, so for me it's still a wait and see.

kinda glad you posted that screenie tho... since most people don't believe just how tiny the markup is on computer parts, and wonder why mom & pop B&M stores can't compete with web-shops.

Back