have you ever seen this celeron?

vFX

n00b
740123292_2_Big.jpg

looks like a Slot1 Celeron with some kind of clip to keep it in the socket (?)
I never seen nothing like that. Could be a prototype?

edit: ok should be just a normal slot 1 celeron like that:

S_Intel-BX80523R300000%20(box%20front).jpg

I must correct: I never seen a slot 1 heatsink like that :D

Last edited:
Compaq OEM processor. I used to build a lot of those back in the day.

I looked it up on ark.intel.com. 19.7W TDP. Look at that inefficient heatsink.

edited

I looked it up on ark.intel.com. 19.7W TDP. Look at that inefficient heatsink.

edited

Lol.

My 286 and 486 didn't have a heatsink at all. :p

Was able to overclock my 486 sx from 25mhz to 50mhz by just adding a tiny hsf :D

You don't get overclocks like that anymore... :(

I'm surprised you could get a 25MHz bump on a 486SX-25. It must have been a down-binned P24 DX2-50 chip because the P23 models didn't work reliably above ~33MHz, even with a heatsink and fan. I tried.

I'm surprised you could get a 25MHz bump on a 486SX-25. It must have been a down-binned P24 DX2-50 chip because the P23 models didn't work reliably above ~33MHz, even with a heatsink and fan. I tried.

I'm actually not sure which it was. I was young and inexperienced at the time :p It was rock solid though! :) (Well in everything I tested, there was no Prime95 back then :p )

Tie Fighter went from just playable, to buttery smooth! :)

I wish I had tried it sooner though. I didn't get around to overclocking it until I had had it for a few years and I wasn't too far from getting my first Pentium. (a Pentium 90Mhz P54c, of notorious floating point bug fame)

Later I had a Pentium 150 (pre MMX) which reliably hit 200Mhz. I had that thing for WAAY too long. It survived as my main rig with a Canopus Pure 3d (6mb Voodoo1) until fall of 2000 when I got a Duron 650 (which reliably hit 950Mhz).

Funny thing about the Pentium 150@200 with the Voodoo1 freshman year (fall 1999/spring 2000) was that even though it was an older computer, it was the envy of everyone in the dorms as it killed at Quake2, where their (new store bought) computers kinda sucked at it :p

Last edited:
If you had a good board you could knock that funky cooler off and bolt on something decent. If you bumped the FSB speed up to 100 MHz instead of 66 MHz, you could be running at 450 MHz instead of 300 MHz.

It brings back memories of my first PC motherboard. The Asus P3B was a beast for slot 1 CPUs. :D

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p3b-f.html#sect2

Agreed...the P3B-F was one of the best damn boards ever. Ran everything from my Celeron 300A up to my Coppermine P3-700@933. Rock solid and DIP switches!! :D

Zarathustra[H];1041053600 said:
I'm actually not sure which it was. I was young and inexperienced at the time :p It was rock solid though! :) (Well in everything I tested, there was no Prime95 back then :p )

Tie Fighter went from just playable, to buttery smooth! :)

I wish I had tried it sooner though. I didn't get around to overclocking it until I had had it for a few years and I wasn't too far from getting my first Pentium. (a Pentium 90Mhz P54c, of notorious floating point bug fame)

Later I had a Pentium 150 (pre MMX) which reliably hit 200Mhz. I had that thing for WAAY too long. It survived as my main rig with a Canopus Pure 3d (6mb Voodoo1) until fall of 2000 when I got a Duron 650 (which reliably hit 950Mhz).

Funny thing about the Pentium 150@200 with the Voodoo1 freshman year (fall 1999/spring 2000) was that even though it was an older computer, it was the envy of everyone in the dorms as it killed at Quake2, where their (new store bought) computers kinda sucked at it :p
Lucky bastage, the setup I had for too long was a DX4 100 that with one DIP switch ran at 120 which was fast enough for the "Pentium only" Diablo. I was hooked on OC ever since. Only ran Q1 at 320 res and on a 33.6k modem it was cool at the time. My first foray into Pentium bliss was the 200MMX at 250. Q2 ran wonderfully with a Monster 2. And then the 300A came along...

I have no idea why but I miss dip switches on mobos.

Bring back dip switches!

Haha, I have a Gemlight mobo a few years back and was setting the dip switches for a Pentium 166mmx and accidentally set it up to run at 250MHz! The freaking thing ran hot but great. It slaughtered the K6-2 chip I had on it originally in games and overall performance. I wish I had done that way back when I got the 166mmx when it was new. Could of stopped me for a few upgrades.

Also had the ABIT BE6-II and a socket 370 366mhz that ran at 550 back then. Was great till the board died. well maybe it was just the caps that went.

Lucky bastage, the setup I had for too long was a DX4 100 that with one DIP switch ran at 120 which was fast enough for the "Pentium only" Diablo. I was hooked on OC ever since. Only ran Q1 at 320 res and on a 33.6k modem it was cool at the time. My first foray into Pentium bliss was the 200MMX at 250. Q2 ran wonderfully with a Monster 2. And then the 300A came along...

I miss that era!

It was a lot of fun, and everything was still exciting. Then the K7 Duron/Athlon era came along and was the most fun I ever had with computers.

It's still a fun hobby, but nothing really compares to that time.

Hopefully its an actual 300A and not one of the early Covingtons which were just P2s without any cache and pretty awful.

I had a week 18 SL36C Celeron 366 back in the day on an Abit BP6 that overclocked like a monster. It ran at 616MHz at 2.3v with just an alpha heatsink and at 682MHz at 2.4v with a Swiftech 50w peltier setup. The chip cost £50 here in the UK and beat pretty much every CPU out at the time. It was a massive upgrade from a K6-2 350MHz that wouldn't even overclock to 380MHz.

300A's were a beautiful overclocker. I remember getting so pissed at my buddy for paying $180 for his Celeron while I blew $650 for my Pentium II 400MHz

BP6, dual voodoo 3d accelerator wicked cards, dual celery 366's. Overclock away. Good times.

This thread is pushing some motive for me get off my ass and overclock some of the ancient shit I still have that I use do pin mods to get bumped up voltages and FSB jumps. 100-133mhz on the fsb gave a good performance jump on the old Coppermines. Tualatin's just wiped anything P4 from it's time.

Back