Kabini test @Anandtech

How does one choose an appropriate PSU to go with a 25 watt processor to keep the whole system cool and efficient?

I just got the Biostar A68N-5000 motherboard with 1.5 quad cpu for $70.

It has IOMMU and has memory OC'n.

EDIT: I guess you can adjust the voltage but not the multi. I will spend a little more and get the Asus MB and cpu.

Last edited:
I've got 2 Kabinis one with the Asus AM1-I/5350 for a firewall and another with the MSI AM1I/5150 for an HTPC. Couldn't be happier, especially with the Fry's combo deal on the later for $55 a few months back.

I've got 2 Kabinis one with the Asus AM1-I/5350 for a firewall and another with the MSI AM1I/5150 for an HTPC. Couldn't be happier, especially with the Fry's combo deal on the later for $55 a few months back.

How is the temperature on your 2? I put new TIM on the heatsink and used a little 60mm quiet fan on it. I ran intelburn test and it really never got hot. The software is the one from the Biostar website. It went up real slow to about 32/33 from 26.

How does one choose an appropriate PSU to go with a 25 watt processor to keep the whole system cool and efficient?

ASRock AM1H-ITX mobo takes external DC or standard ATX. Seriously thinking about getting one with AMD Athlon 5350.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AM1H-ITX/index.us.asp

AM1-Dcin-BG.png

There's the ASRock board that mi7chy linked. There's also some options for DC-DC PSUs if you don't go with that board. I was able to pick up a pair of Antec ISK 300-65s on ebay for a 2 node cluster of sorts.

I bought the Athlon 5350 and the Asus AM1i-A (ITX) board a couple months back mostly to play around with. The BCLK on this board can be modified. Got it up to around 2.5Ghz before the PCI-E or iGPU started to freak.

Would be fun if AMD released a K version of this CPU just for giggles. Actually even overclocked power usage didn't rise much and it bumped it's performance up nicely.

How is the firewall setup running for you? I've been thinking about building an AM1 pfsense box with an Intel dual NIC. Since the onboard is realtek crap. Just worried about the throughput, since I have a 150mbps connection, and thinking about upgrading to a 300mbps connection.

I bought the Athlon 5350 and the Asus AM1i-A (ITX) board a couple months back mostly to play around with. The BCLK on this board can be modified. Got it up to around 2.5Ghz before the PCI-E or iGPU started to freak.

Would be fun if AMD released a K version of this CPU just for giggles. Actually even overclocked power usage didn't rise much and it bumped it's performance up nicely.

Post benches!

How is the firewall setup running for you? I've been thinking about building an AM1 pfsense box with an Intel dual NIC. Since the onboard is realtek crap. Just worried about the throughput, since I have a 150mbps connection, and thinking about upgrading to a 300mbps connection.

It's been running ClearOS with 8gb of ram, a 64gb Sandisk SSD and an Intel NIC for 5 months now - never crashed and can handle my excessive home network pretty well (~8 PCs and 4 servers). Hadn't noticed any slow downs - beats the heck out of the Intel D510 (Atom) ITX setup I used years back also running ClearOS.

It's been running ClearOS with 8gb of ram, a 64gb Sandisk SSD and an Intel NIC for 5 months now - never crashed and can handle my excessive home network pretty well (~8 PCs and 4 servers). Hadn't noticed any slow downs - beats the heck out of the Intel D510 (Atom) ITX setup I used years back also running ClearOS.

Good to know, looks like I might be building a new toy soon.

Back