Folding Protiens

kerbos5

n00b
Anybody ever give this folding thing a try?.....I have 15 750ti mining and for what 2 buck, might as well do something good with them right?;) until I can get them sold.

Hey thanks I have never really scanned the B/B section, I just thought since there were several coins like CureCoin and F@H with foldingcoin.net (FLDC) that there would be talk in here about it. :) I said what the hell and pointed my 15 750ti's to folding coin using 226728 team number for awhile, I have read all the devs posts around the forums and he seems pretty honest and straight forward, but its only been a month or so since its been around....but figured the minening of 3 dollas a day of btc wasn't worth it....maybe my health in 30 years is. :)

Last edited:
thank you kerbos5 for your kind words :) I think bringing folding@home to the mining community could potentially triple the current FAH network (and i also feel that is a big under exaggeration). Most people never heard of FAH because they couldnt make money, but when BTC started to explode, lots of people went out to buy mining rigs.

One big argument that i get from the FAH community since we started this coin is "We dont want to make money on FAH, we do it because we beleive in it." I respect this but lets talk business:

-The mining community is far superior in computational power. If we are to bring them on Stanford could accomplish so much more than it already is

-So what the miners want an incentive to fold, its not like this new currency FoldingCoin is costing anybody any money.

-This FLDC could be used as a MeetUp.com group internal currency to help spread awareness of FAH and BTC. Most people have PCs and millions attend these MeetUp groups for various reasons. Giving them an internal currency that they will want to earn now helps MeetUp.com participants become more involved in FAH and their MeetUp groups.

We feel only good things can come from this currency made out of thin air. So much energy is wasted on these alternative cryptocurrencies. Lets harness that power :) Please read a blog i wrote for the front page of lets talk bitcoin http://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/foldingcoiu

-So what the miners want an incentive to fold, its not like this new currency FoldingCoin is costing anybody any money.

That's the part of crypto currency I still not get: someone has to pump money into the circle. If not: no one can sell any of those coins for real ¥€$. I have folded a bit for CC but now they sit in the wallet and spinning on my disk (ok, not really, it's a SSD). No one really buy CC. I'm fine, I'm one of those not folding for money and watch crypto out of curiosity. If once there is value in my wallet i will not be unhappy, but not expecting it either.

With a lot of these altcoins, the developers work on the code with almost all of their time. Since we are built ontop of Bitcoin, we do not have a code to work on. As Bitcoin evolves we also evolve. So our time is focused on aggressively finding uses for this coin. If you read the above atricle it gives a great plan on what direction we are heading in. But the beautiful thing is you can come up with your own idea on what to do with these FLDC coins, why not give them to other FAH members for good forum responses? Since we all Fold why not tip each other with our earnings of FLDC.

I know that doesnt seem like much now, but everything needs a start. We have to begin to find uses for the coin in order for it to be valuable. Bitcoin started very slow, and started by being a forum tipping system as well. Then of course the famous 10,000 BTC pizza was sold and the rest is history.

Look bottom line BTC had to start some where, if it aint broke don't fix it, now that its getting established.....might I remind you there were lots of nay sayers on bitcoin as well.....so you have some tokens that aren't worth anything.....yet. I just got tired of the 3 dollars a day for what, it was costing me money to run the rigs at one point, would rather have a cure for my forgetful memory in 30 years...cuz my memory isn't getting any better. :) And if this "token"/coin is worth something some day so be it, I just don't see a downside, other than electricity but that I just consider a donation to science, its better than my machines sitting idle. I could go the US Politics route and argue.... the old montra "but its for your children, and your grandchildren" routine if you want. :)

I agree that BTC is the preferred system, i personally do not keep USD anymore, after paying my bills i transfer all my remaining paychecks to BTC through coinbase and use services like Overstock.com, gyft, egifter, bitcoinstore, ext... This token however is something i think can be used side by side with btc since it remains on the BTC blcokcahin and doesnt depend on its own. Other altcoin are trying to be that BTC replacement which i do not see happening. Other coins have an erratic difficulty fluctuation that never stays stable, as for BTC difficulty goes up up up. This coin cannot have a difficulty fluctuation like the rest since it has no blockchain. Also if your gonna Fold, why not get a token that represents your work, the diseases get cured at the same rate :)

We more or less want a community coin that unlike BTC (which is a sound investment) can be used generously among different MeetUp groups and or charitable events for contributing time into your preferred social groups that better your local or nation environment.

Hey thanks I have never really scanned the B/B section, I just thought since there were several coins like CureCoin and F@H with foldingcoin.net (FLDC) that there would be talk in here about it. :)

kerbos5, don't take this negative or as an attack because what you say does have some truth to it. First, it is bad etiquette to go to a teams forums and promote switching teams or recruiting them to switch. Since all of these altcoins project (Ripple Labs, Gridcoin, FLDC, CC, and the failed before launching SETIcoin) all require switching to their teams, there just isn't any reason for the members here to even talk about them unless it is to say, "hey, we need to ramp things up to hold them off" or "we are about to get mowed". Hyping these coins is the same as recruiting people to switch teams because it is a requirement to mine/acquire them. None of those teams have generated a realistically profitable coin as far as I have heard. So, creating yet another unnecessary coin is just a gimmick. I hate to sound negative against these guys because they really have brought some positive resources to the projects. But the biggest issue is that they also steal a lot of heavy hitters away from solid established teams. They rely on the project rankings to get momentum in hopes that they will float long enough for businesses to maybe consider using their currency instead of the pioneer BitCoin.

Second, if there were an altcoin that did not require turning your back on your team in hopes of hitting it big gambling, then there would most certainly be a lot more talk and support from the DC team here. You will find that the members of [H]ard|OCP do have many miners in their ranks. It was certainly a way to offset their expenses. You will find most of them did not switch teams because the coins they generated mostly went back into the DC addiction rather than a profit generator. It goes to show that the system can work if the coin project supports the teams rather than the teams support the coin.

-The mining community is far superior in computational power. If we are to bring them on Stanford could accomplish so much more than it already is

I wish their was some kind of crypto that had F@H built in. CureCoin does not count. I'm talking actual algo like sha256, scrypt, x11, etc. Because then the network itself would become very secure (where as CureCoin is not) and an actual store of value, which is the biggest reason why LTC is still #2 today. CureCoin is like being awarded tokens an arcade.

If crypto survives in the long run, I can see BTC remaining as the crypto of real world transaction, with other coins just being around generating real value in the form of folding proteins, SETI, etc. Right now alts waste energy. The alts that will have any real value in the long long long run are those that actually don't while having a very secure mining network to back it up. (which again CureCoin lacks the latter completely). The closest crypto has come to this right now is PrimeCoin, which is kind of sad.

The thing with crypto is nobody has to pay anyone anything, other than up front development time. It's not like Stanford would have to pay the miners. Coins would be generated, and users would determine value.

Last edited:
Gilthanis, no offense taken, I just figured that since this is related to Crypto mining, or possibly the evolution thereof, that it should be brought to the forfront especially with everybody including yourself grumbling about cryptos lately.... granted this project is new, and it was never my intent to "steal" away anything, although I'm not really sure what it matters since its just kind of a bragging right/ego thing. But if this brings back to folding those that transitioned over to mining.....I just don't see a down side. So let me clarify I am not trying to persuade anybody to hop teams, I did however state what I did with my machines, and how cool it would be if we could just get this in the sight of all miners, we could help humanity, and have fun playing with our gadgets longer without forgetting where we put the screwdriver. With that all said it has been stated in other forums by Pooktwo that they are working on figuring a way to integrate the coin without having to leave your team, but for now that's not been implemented. Frankly with HOCP reputation and experience with folding I'm a little surprised that this hasn't been attempted or worked on here. Maybe because of this post somebody might. :)

@kerbos5 He has it exactly right, we do not want to break up these communities. The biggest hurdle we have is verifying that someone is who they say they are, with our team we verify it by BTC address. One way (which this is jerry rigged way) we have discussed verifying a user is by doing something called "proof of idle" where the user tells us their FAH user name, shuts down their operation at a specific time (and tells us the time) then we know it was them. This obviuosly is not the preferred method. We are however writing a code which we will be sending to Stanford tomorrow on how it is possible to integrate FLDC right into FAH, hopefully they will be as receptive as we hope, they are at least willing to listen which is good

kerbos5, please don't misunderstand me. I have nothing against the cryptos. In fact you can see that I'm running BitcoinUtopia as we speak. What I have a problem with is cryptos that are unproven taking members away from other teams to justify their existence. I am all for a crypto that pays people to stay where they already are in the DC world. I was just clarifying why you don't see us talking a great deal about these other "options".

@gilthanis but if we found a way to distribute this coin to all donors of all teams, would you be interested in that? And our coin is built ontop BTC so any security and stabiity issues would be covered by the BTC and counterparty team which are much more established than any altcoin that i can think of

PookTwo, that is exactly what I'm saying. Find a way to monetize while allowing members to remain dedicated to the teams they love. It is win win for everyone. I'm more on the BOINC side of the fence, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't run FAH work too.

@gilthanis the reason why we didnt choose BOINC is related to the Altcoin miners. With mining ATI cards have been known as more efficient to mine with than NVIDIA cards (something to do with the design of the chips) and most BOINC projects are not ATI friendly. Also for the general user, BOINC can be very intimidating, as for FAH is download and go. We WILL find a way to incorporate other FAH users, if we dont, we will fall to the wayside like most other altcoins do. This is a top priority in our organization, and number 2 priority is finding uses for the coins

We are however writing a code which we will be sending to Stanford tomorrow on how it is possible to integrate FLDC right into FAH, hopefully they will be as receptive as we hope, they are at least willing to listen which is good

PG tend to be very team-agnostic plus having enhancements with "scientific value" only. If you can convince them on a neutral setup of your concept they might listen.
But I would be really surprised if they would include your specific code. Because then the team from CC would get very angry (I assume).

So what I can imagine is that PG would create a generic hook all coins could use for identify check and remain neutral.

I think that is what we want, a neutral setup. We are sending out the papers to them tonight so we will see what happens, i got my fingers crossed though, I think introducing a coin to FAH would be great for everone :)

I think you have a better chance if you team-up with CC and make a common proposal working for both, and future other coins.

@ChristianVirtual the reason why we are choosing to create a different route for FLDC than CC is because we feel our design can easily be incorporated to the NonBTC nonFAH community a lot easier. With CC you still have to run a client on your computer that depends on the CC blockchain, Since we build our coin ontop BTC we share the same advantages as BTC such as app development, security updates, and so forth. When a mobile wallet comes to BTC, it is already FLDC compatable. CC would have to develop their own mobile wallet from their devs. Since a web wallet is already included in the current platform of Counterparty, its much easier to access FLDC from anywhere using the CounterParty web wallet than it is to use your CC desktop client for exchanging funds. The general public loves the cloud and online access.

CounterParty is just much easier for the BTC novice to get started with, it takes away all the tech barriers that could prevent a nonBTC person from starting. The 2 ultimate goals are to get all miners on board one coin, and to gain the adoption of the general public through becoming a MeetUp.com currency.

Hey I just wanted to touch base and resurrect this thread, I don't like how the conversation ended. Since the initial discussion first took place I wanted to Highlight two thing the Foldingcoin Development team has accomplished in just 5 Months, that nobody really wanted to tackle or thought possible, and that is Develop a Crypto Currency that would be useful to all folders without leaving there respective teams without an api based Client....Well Foldingcoin has figured it out, so all you folders that also participate in cryptos should check it out, and if you don't want the coins, you can donate to FLDC team as they are researching a Charity to sponsor, so two birds with one stone. They are on several exchanges most notably Poloniex. The second thing I wanted to bring up is that they have also developed a "merge coin" infrastructure allowing you to acquire more than one coin for folding at a time! This development goes live on Feb 5 2015, and has Two Coins already going to participate, Scotcoin 2.0 & POWC. check it out on FLDC's site, I believe they are doing a great job at promoting F@H and making it where it can be profitable at the same time. They have Big plans for 2015, so if you don't fold at least stay tuned and keep and eye out for what they are doing. :) I understand skepticism but so far they have proved lots of skeptics wrong. Foldingcoin.net is there site.

I'm still waiting on a way to stay on my team, without:
1. Changing my FAH name/account
2. Giving them keys to my account (aka my account key)

Last I knew these were the most likely ways to get them to verify. I'm not sure about the stop and start folding routine earlier mentioned. I don't fold much, but I feel these are the things that really prevent many here from caring. Perhaps once this is accomplished I will actually take the time to set up a wallet...

Back