X99 is coming. Which board, MFR!?

Bluesun311

2[H]4U
I want this.
Capture_zpsd53a1d2f.png~original

I'm definitely jumping on X99, but I'll be waiting a few weeks past the actual launch so I get a chance to read a bunch of reviews, check out different boards from different manufacturers, and see what people are saying about them on the forums. Dis shiznit looks tight though. Based on this pic, I guess Intel will be sticking with quad-channel, which is fine with me. Damn, I can't wait until Haswell-E and X99. A new system is long overdue for me.

Based on this pic, I guess Intel will be sticking with quad-channel, which is fine with me

Actually 8 slots confuses me. I thought DDR4 was 1 dimm per channel max unless you used a switched memory banks with switching circuitry on the motherboard.

I want this.
Capture_zpsd53a1d2f.png~original

Nice board, but I prefer a different slot layout. I don't normally run Tri-SLI so I want 2 slots between the GPUs so they get a little more breathing room.

I do like the that board though...I think 7 of the last 8 boards I bought were MSI

If it is anything like X79 was I would only look towards Asus for a board maker. Though there's plenty of time for more x99 boards to show up so I wouldn't choose just yet. I'm curious for EVGA's x99's boards even though I won't give x99 a try.

I want go x99, but honestly I don't need six cores, or 64gb memory. I'm sitting on 32gb right now and only using about 12gb.

Actually 8 slots confuses me. I thought DDR4 was 1 dimm per channel max unless you used a switched memory banks with switching circuitry on the motherboard.

It is 1 DIMM per channel, but I wouldn't be surprised to see switched memory banks make its way onto x99 boards, as they are enthusiast/HEDT platforms.

I will be looking forward to test the X99 SLI Plus this next month - as I wil review it soon :)... I do like the looks of it and the blackout theme :)

The price will go down eventually as production ramps up and DDR4 hits the OEMs and the consumer market.

Once DDR4 is mainstream prices should fall settling cheaper then DDR3, unless there is another "fire" and everyone decides to price gouge.

I remember buying 2x4gb DDR3 for $44 those were the days! Now its $83 for the same kit!

$600 (?), for a 2,400MHz 4x8GB kit is still expensive though :eek: . I would think these would be cheaper to make than the last generation memory.

The cheapest 2133mHz 32GB set on NewEgg are $324.99. £329.99 ($556.45) for DDR4 equals a 41.6% price increase. £359.99 ($607) is a 47.5% increase.

Crucial is charging £479.99 ($809.38) for their 2666mHz 32GB set and with the cheapest DDR 2666mHz at $384.99 there's a 52.5% increase.

With boards and the processors being about just as expensive, I think this will be the most expensive enthusiast launch yet or at least in the past 20 years.

The cheapest 2133mHz 32GB set on NewEgg are $324.99. £329.99 ($556.45) for DDR4 equals a 41.6% price increase. £359.99 ($607) is a 47.5% increase.

Crucial is charging £479.99 ($809.38) for their 2666mHz 32GB set and with the cheapest DDR 2666mHz at $384.99 there's a 52.5% increase.

With boards and the processors being about just as expensive, I think this will be the most expensive enthusiast launch yet or at least in the past 20 years.

DAMN!

You know, I have been reading about the X99 stuff, but shit, at these prices I think I will stick with Z97 and a 4790k. I have seen some people mention that X99 is going to be good for people running 3 or more video cards, but that doesn't really make sense to me since I have seen the benchmarks for 3 x SLI on older platforms and it was kicking some ass. I think I'm just going to build a 4790k based beast and wait for Skylake.

DAMN!

You know, I have been reading about the X99 stuff, but shit, at these prices I think I will stick with Z97 and a 4790k. I have seen some people mention that X99 is going to be good for people running 3 or more video cards, but that doesn't really make sense to me since I have seen the benchmarks for 3 x SLI on older platforms and it was kicking some ass. I think I'm just going to build a 4790k based beast and wait for Skylake.

Yes, but I think for those that just want the latest to play games you will only need the 16GB kits which are £169.99 ($286.91) (44.3% increase). That saves you a couple hundred bucks. Still quite expensive though.

Yes, but I think for those that just want the latest to play games you will only need the 16GB kits which are £169.99 ($286.91) (44.3% increase). That saves you a couple hundred bucks. Still quite expensive though.

Hmmm...well, it is something to consider.

I have a MSI x79a-gd45 plus and I am very happy with it. I would expect that the x99 would have the same quality if not better.

Aaaand price conversion from European prices to USD doesn't work that way.

Sure, £329.99 directly converted to USD is $557. But the price in GBP includes 20% VAT, so if you want to compare it to Newegg prices which are without taxes, you need to subtract the 20% VAT.

So £329.99 with 20% VAT is £275 without VAT, which translates to $464.24 (and not yours $556.45) . £359.99 without 20% VAT is £300, which is $506.51 (not $607). £479.99 -> £399 -> $675.36 (not $809.38).

For content creation - films, photography, design, architecture, etc I think the X99 should be a good investment to carry onto the future. Especially those of us not wanting to jump into the apple sandbox.

I will probably get 32gb ram (4gb x 8) -- fill all memory banks and get the 6 core proc. Running that with an SSD should hold me over for another 5 years or so.

Last edited:
I ended up just caving and getting a 5650 for my 1366. I don't really think it's warranting a purchase at this stage, and x58 is still good enough.

I'm really hoping X99 will be the "next" X58 in terms of long-term viability and power...and hopefully, price! I really, hope that the 5930k is an 8-core as well as the $1000 5960x, in the tradition of at least SB-E and IB-E. I'm really tired of Intel price jacking; I'd like to see the X58 pricing come back, where the "core i7 920" equivalent processor was $350 or so and would also have 8 cores...but I'm not holding my breath. After all this time the very least they could do is move the 5820 to 6 cores, and the 5930k and 5960x both on 8...but I don't figure that's likely, given typical Intel moves. Better yet, if the die is actually 12 cores, I'd much rather see the EE processor have the full assortment, at least. Then again, all this is based on the chip shown with the soldered IHS, which could have very well been a Xeon, instead.

When it comes to motherboards, I'll probably look first to Asus ROG as I've done in the past. As most know here on [H], they've ruled the roost for quite a few generations and personally haven't let me down. All the while, they tend to be more stable and less expensive than some other top-tier boards like EVGA offerings. I'll also take a look at Gigabyte (Their G-series may be worth checking out and comparing it to Asus ROG) and MSI, the latter of which is said to have made some considerable progress from being solidly mid-tier a few years back. I'll at least look at MSI's OC Big Bang and Gaming series to see how they stack up to Asus' offering. My venerable Core i7 920 is still running on an Asus Rampage II Extreme without issue *knock on wood*, but it is certainly time for an upgrade, getting ahold of USB 3.0, SATA6, M.2, PCI-E 3.0 and other new standards. Hopefully X99 will have a solid crop of motherboards that bring the best to the table for a decent value.

I'm really tired of Intel price jacking

With no competition from AMD for the high end Intel is only competing against its own products. I had hoped the 8 core / 16 threaded processor would be at stock like the 150W TDP xeon E5-2687WV2 but at 1/2 the price.

Why hope? They announced the details ages ago. 5930k is a 6 core.

I missed something in the editing - the "next" addition to the 5930k price-point placed-product, I hope to see an 8-core. Much like how Nahalem / Gulftown had the later-coming 970, 975, 980x etc.. processors that expanded the range, for instance, where for the same (admittedly expensive,) price a user could have a hex-core EE instead of the original quad-core 965x EE.

Its frustrating enough that they're launching with the current lineup, where the only 8 core is is $1000 and that after all this time we still need to pay $600+ in order to secure 6 cores. It has been 5 years that 6 cores has been the most available on Intel's enthusiast platforms, from Gulftown to SB-E and IB-E, where 6 cores were available for the middle and/or top/extreme part. I can only hope there will be a refresh or expansion to the product line where 8 cores will be available for at very least the 5930k price point, and that truly "Extreme Edition" chips, will be available with the full assortment of cores manufactured on the particular die, speed-binned for best overclocking. Regardless, without AMD as a threat Intel has been able to rest on their laurels and jack prices on the high end, and restricting 8 cores to only the $1000 part is the most egregious policy yet. Especially when introduced alongside X99. X-series chipset motherboards tend towards the expensive side, but between being quad-channel and implementing DDR4, the platform will likely be more expensive than ever. I remember when Intel was wringing its hands about even keeping an "enthusiast" platform over the past few years, as its niche is much smaller than the mainstream socket/chipset and/or the Xeon market. I don't want them to whine about "not enough people buy X99 / Haswell-E" when it seems they've never turned down an opportunity to jack the prices. We're getting close to the point where I have to wonder if I wouldn't be better to simply have a "workstation Xeon" (unlocked, good OC etc) line instead if they're going to price things like this.

Last edited:
but what is your use case for the extra 2 core / 4 threads? Will you see that much of a difference?

Looks nice, but I am sticking with the Asus Sabertooth X99 board when it comes out.

Im looking forward to everyone dumping their X79 boards! Pick me up a RIVE BE for a good price!

I may try to sell my Sandy-E setup and jump to X99. If I do, I'll probably go for an Asus ROG board. Hopefully they will have a black color scheme available from the get go.

Almost as important as manufacturer is board size. I want an E-ATX board or a bit bigger. The layouts for many X79 boards on an ATX form factor is just way too crowded.

MSI is= teasing the X99S GAMING 9 AC as well - seems to have a hw based streaming engine feature
UufUtoc.jpg

Before getting too excited, I'm still waiting to hear if the M.2 ports that some companies are including will support NVMe. Right now I get the fealing they will but will just be AHCI on RST. If not I can hold out until Intel 100 series to upgrade.

I'm wondering if MSI is going to have different X99 boards available? I dislike wireless and don't want a board with it built in, but would still like some of the other features (and a lower price) of this top end board.

The 5960X will have 8 cores but seems to be 3.0-3.3 with boost, I am curious to see the OC on the 8 core. As right now the 3930K can easily do 4.5ghz all day long with godo temps even under air. Let alone if you put it under water. I want to jump onto X99 but I will wait to see what features actually come out to see if it is worth going from X79 to X99. :)

Can't wait to start seeing some reviews for these. Hopefully soon!

Cost is definitely a concern with DDR4, along with latency. I hope we're not taking a step back in performance from DDR3. Dollar for dollar at least I'd say that's very likely.

I need it to glow
It should - I think you might see some led lights on the board, or under the heatsinks ;)

I'm wondering if MSI is going to have different X99 boards available? I dislike wireless and don't want a board with it built in, but would still like some of the other features (and a lower price) of this top end board.
They should have a couple - 2 that we know of now, but I would think that there are one or two that will have a delayed release ( like a Big Bang mobo)

It should - I think you might see some led lights on the board, or under the heatsinks ;)

They should have a couple - 2 that we know of now, but I would think that there are one or two that will have a delayed release ( like a Big Bang mobo)

Hope there isn't much delay, I will have a pretty good wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket and a burning desire to get my first new computer in forever up and running so I can go kill shit at a respectable frame rate. :)

EDIT: I forgot how to word right.

Last edited:
I too hope the "best'/top end X99 motherboards are not delayed. Its always frustrating when motherboards (or anything, really) launch with a selection they market as their newest and best, and then it takes a few more months before a couple of previously unannounced products join; often one or more of them is competitive with existing items on some terms. At very least, if something is delayed for an in-store launch, at least launch it on paper with the rest of the selection.

I hope that the full Asus ROG / TUF , MSI OC / Gaming, and Gigabyte G series will be announced at the same time.

Back