MSI GS60 Ghost/GhostPro Owners' Lounge

Fleat

Gawd
Hello all. I figured I would start an owners' lounge for this laptop. Those of you who are not owners, feel free to ask questions that you would like answered.

When you post, make sure you specify which laptop you are talking about. (Ghost-860m, GhostPro-870m, GhostPro-870m-3k)

Also posting my mini review cross posted from notebookreviews.

Mini Review
I have had my GS60 GhostPro-052 (870m model) for 2 days now, and I figured I would post a quick mini review. I will provide additional detail after I have used it for a longer period of time.

Fit and Finish: The packaging was well done, and gave a nice impression when first opening the laptop. It has that premium feel to it. The build quality is quite good aside from the flex in the screen to keep it light. The materials feel high quality and nice to the touch. The chassis itself is solid and has very little flex to it. The in your face gamer design is truly at a minimum with this laptop, and even the wife thought it was a "really nice looking laptop".

Keyboard: The keyboard is quite good, and easily my favorite thing on the laptop. I am incredibly picky when it comes to keyboards, and this is very close in quality to some of the older Thinkpad keyboards. It has very little flex, and seems quite solid. The back-lighting is relatively even, and the colors can be set to something not so atrocious. I do have some dimness around the F9-F10 keys, but this really doesn't bother me at all.

Touchpad: I am sure this will get me flamed, but it is worth mentioning it anyways. As someone who frequently uses Mac's, this is one of the most disappointing aspects for me. In comparison, it feels like you are moving your finger through mud instead of smooth glass on the Mac touchpads. The difference is night and day even after spending 30 minutes or so tweaking the settings in the touchpad control panel. On the plus side, most of the multi-touch mouse actions seem to work okay. With that said, this isn't a laptop I can see myself using without a bluetooth or usb mouse.

Speakers: The speakers are fairly standard fare, and provide decent sound up to the 80% mark. After that, they start to distort. They do not get very loud at all, and I would consider them only slightly louder than my Note 3's (a cell phone) speaker overall. For example, I don't think you could watch a movie in the car using the speakers and realistically have more than one person hear it well enough unless you are in a luxury vehicle. For a laptop, it is passable but not a selling point. I did expect a bit more from it considering the price point and I would just recommend that you never leave your headphones behind.

Screen: I am a screen snob so this was a biggy for me. For a TN panel, this is a fantastic offering and truly shows the leaps and bounds TN has made in recent years. It has very little if any motion blur, and the colors pop quite nicely. The viewing angles are great and very un-tn like. I will calibrate with my i1 Display Pro this weekend to give you guys more details on the screen. Needless to say, I don't think you will be too disappointed even if you are coming from an IPS panel.

Noise: This computer is noisy - no other way to say it. It will always be making some noise. Even at idle, the fan has a noticeable hum to it around 2800 rpm. Once you increase the workload, it quickly increases to a very noticeable pitch. This is loud enough to be disruptive in a meeting or classroom, but not loud enough to cause any issues with someone watching a show in the same room with you. My wife said that she noticed it, but didn't consider it bothersome as she had no problem hearing the TV. I won't be using this in any setting where the noise may be a problem so I don't think this is a deal breaker for me. With that said, this is the largest negative that this laptop has. Unfortunately, I don't have a Razer Blade to compare the noise profile to as I imagine that would be better.

Heat: I was honestly expecting heat to be an issue going into this. I have had some laptop mini nuclear furnaces before, and was expecting similar results. During gaming, I actually found it reasonably tolerable. The noise ramps up, but the laptop never felt uncomfortable to use. The chassis doesn't get nearly as warm as some of the previous generation Macbook Pro 15 inch models. Some examples:
  • Guild Wars 2: Fan ramped up to max - 72C on the GPU - 71C on the CPU
  • BF4: Fan ramped up to max and the GPU got to 84C (not sure on CPU)
I monitored GPU usage and clocks in MSI Afterburner and didn't notice any throttling, but I didn't game for more than 30 minutes at a time. I will have more information once I have had the chance to game on it more.

Battery: I only have two cycles through the battery, but I can tell you that the performance is not great. You can expect less than 45 minutes while gaming and 2.5-3 hours in regular usage. I would just expect to always have to carry the AC Adapter with you. I anticipated this unfortunately, and hopefully I will have some better news once I get into the 20-30 cycle range.

Conclusion: This laptop is a good step forward for MSI in the thin and light gaming sector. The build quality, materials, screen, keyboard, and cooling system are quite good and provide a compelling reason to purchase this laptop. The touchpad is poor compared to Macs, but acceptable quality when compared to other Windows offerings. The speakers - well they put out sound but don't expect to be blown away. The battery and noise are the big concerns for me. These two things have me considering the extra money towards the Blade. If the Blade was 15" I would absolutely pay the extra money without question. I think this laptop is actually a pretty good value, but those two things are fairly important to me. I plan to extensively use this for the next 30 days during my return window before I decide if I am keeping it or returning it.

Hello all. I figured I would start an owners' lounge for this laptop. Those of you who are not owners, feel free to ask questions that you would like answered.

When you post, make sure you specify which laptop you are talking about. (Ghost-860m, GhostPro-870m, GhostPro-870m-3k)

Also posting my mini review cross posted from notebookreviews.

Mini Review

Damn, very disappointed to hear about the battery life and noise. The trackpad I could probably deal with but 2.5 hours for regular usage is just abysmal. I wonder how it compares to the Blade. Thank you for the review.

EDIT: Just found a battery life chart on Engaget's GS60 review.

Code:
MSI GS60 Ghost - 3:13

Razer Blade 14" - 6:24

MSI GT70 Dragon - 4:34

Razer Edge Pro - 3:40

Razer Blade 2.0 - 3:29

Last edited:
Yea, the battery life is unfortunate. I did two full rundowns of the battery via gaming and averaged around 45 minutes. I did one full rundown while configuring everything, browsing the web, watching some online content, and transferring some files where it lasted 2 hours and 35 minutes. As you can see, I have not had many cycles against the battery so this is really just first impressions. I can take some pictures tonight if you guys would like.

Fleat,

So how is the MSI GS60 Ghost after a few days of use.

Were you able to get the fan noise lowered?
How are the temps when gaming?
Battery life while browsing and general use?
Battery life while gaming?

Any good or bad comments?

I like the write up :) - I really want a Ghost but I like my GT60 2OD 3K IPS a lot, I just love the looks of the ghost - slim, light, powerful, and easy to maneuver with from place to place. I can't wait until we get to the point where I can have my specs in that chassis :). I am thinking about getting a Ghost for my sister's birthday, or helping her get one... She needs to dump Apple and have something easy to handle like this.

thanks for the write up. I have been bouncing around between the gs70, gs60, razer blade, and lenovo y50.

If I went the gs60 route, i would want the pro (870m) like you have. I just have a few questions:

If you don't have the time, then just ignore the following.

1) Could you describe more about the fans? This really is a big issue for me. I want something that is basically inaudible when im surfing the web and typing. I don't game a whole bunch and would need to be able to use it in an office setting. I got rid of my last computer because of the noise it made. Also have you thought about trying out modifying the voltage or fan curve? Seems like there have been some good results lowering noise that way.

2) Did you have to repaste your cpu/gpu? I see the a lot of people have had to do it.

3) How is the screen after calibration? I really want a vivid screen with good blacks and great color.

4)How is the build quality? I've seen a few reviewers mention that it feels cheap and I've seen some praise it. Im not expecting the aluminum feel like the mac book or razer blade, but I would like it to feel sturdy and not cheap.

5) Is the main source of heat the gpu or cpu? Im wondering if downclocking both with a reduced fan profile would be feasible.

Thanks a bunch! No place around here for me to test drive either the razer blade of the gs line.

Thanks for the review! Looking for a desktop replacement and this helps a lot.

I ordered a GS60 Pro. The Razer 14 just doesn't add up in my opinion. It looks nice but looks aren't everything when it comes to a laptop.

I've read that the temps are under control with the Ghost and that the fans can be controlled with software mods to make it a bit quieter when at idle.

I'll post up my thoughts.

I've had the Ghost GS60 Pro for two days now.

Great Laptop.

Build quality is top notch, it's not unibody design but great.

Screen is very nice, IPS screen at 1080p

Temps have not been an issue at all under gaming on BF4 or CSGO

870M gpu rocks in a laptop

Fan noise is not as big of an issue as I thought it would be. It does have fan noise but it's not annoying for the power this thing puts out.

Comes with Windows 8.1 installed

It comes with a 128Gb SSD and a 1TB hdd. It's not hard to switch out drives and it is raid capable.

Overall very pleased

Mini Review

Are you sure about that "TN" panel? Everything I've read for the past month or two says it's a Samsung PLS display, which means IPS in every way except the name. It's the GS70 that has a crappy panel, not the GS60 Ghost.

What about the build quality over the Razer Blade? I currently have the Razer Blade 14 but I've been looking at the GS60 Ghost - Does it feel cheap?

Guys, has there been a mistake made on the battery life being reported? Why is the Blade with 3k and 870M getting double the battery life of the bigger MSi offering?

Are you sure about that "TN" panel? Everything I've read for the past month or two says it's a Samsung PLS display, which means IPS in every way except the name. It's the GS70 that has a crappy panel, not the GS60 Ghost.
No he is not sure about the panel type.

The Panel on the GS60 is as you have said,IPS quality. Fantastic quality,truly excellent viewing angles. I have a 2013 GS70 as well as a GS60 Pro,which does(GS70) have a TN panel,but a pretty good one.

No he is not sure about the panel type.

The Panel on the GS60 is as you have said,IPS quality. Fantastic quality,truly excellent viewing angles. I have a 2013 GS70 as well as a GS60 Pro,which does(GS70) have a TN panel,but a pretty good one.

Sorry for the slow follow up guys. Yea, I was incorrect in my screen assessment. As stated, it is actually a PLS panel and it shows. As I stated in my mini-review, it was very un-tn like in all of its qualities which would explain that.

I've had the Ghost GS60 Pro for two days now.

Great Laptop.

Build quality is top notch, it's not unibody design but great.

Screen is very nice, IPS screen at 1080p

Temps have not been an issue at all under gaming on BF4 or CSGO

870M gpu rocks in a laptop

Fan noise is not as big of an issue as I thought it would be. It does have fan noise but it's not annoying for the power this thing puts out.

Comes with Windows 8.1 installed

It comes with a 128Gb SSD and a 1TB hdd. It's not hard to switch out drives and it is raid capable.

Overall very pleased

Sorry I didn't get back to you to respond to your questions, but I am really glad that you like yours!

thanks for the write up. I have been bouncing around between the gs70, gs60, razer blade, and lenovo y50.

If I went the gs60 route, i would want the pro (870m) like you have. I just have a few questions:

If you don't have the time, then just ignore the following.

1) Could you describe more about the fans? This really is a big issue for me. I want something that is basically inaudible when im surfing the web and typing. I don't game a whole bunch and would need to be able to use it in an office setting. I got rid of my last computer because of the noise it made. Also have you thought about trying out modifying the voltage or fan curve? Seems like there have been some good results lowering noise that way.

2) Did you have to repaste your cpu/gpu? I see the a lot of people have had to do it.

3) How is the screen after calibration? I really want a vivid screen with good blacks and great color.

4)How is the build quality? I've seen a few reviewers mention that it feels cheap and I've seen some praise it. Im not expecting the aluminum feel like the mac book or razer blade, but I would like it to feel sturdy and not cheap.

5) Is the main source of heat the gpu or cpu? Im wondering if downclocking both with a reduced fan profile would be feasible.

Thanks a bunch! No place around here for me to test drive either the razer blade of the gs line.

1. The fan noise is always audible, and the fan curve is not very adjustable. Some people on Notebookreviews had luck with lower it by a few %, but it is either completely off or fairly audible. You can tweak the CPU voltage in XTU which will help temperatures, but the noise is fairly consistent.

2. I didn't repaste, and I have had good results. I have plenty of different types of paste on hand if I decide to do that but have not felt the need yet.

3. I will provide further information when I take the time to use my i1 Display Pro on it. Xentar712 posted this on Notebookreviews - "They looked even better after calibrating using my Spyder4Pro. Screen analysis shows I was able to get 99% coverage of sRGB, 72% of NTSC and 77% of AdobeRGB"

4. The build quality is decent, but not exceptional. The base is quite solid and the materials feel like good quality but the screen is flimsy and doesn't feel like it could take a beating at all.

5. It depends on the games you play really. In my experience, the GPU is heating up a lot more than the CPU but they both get hot in extended gaming sessions.

Here is a great comparison review between the Blade 2014 and the Ghost Pro by Xentar712 on NBR forums:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/raz...zer-blade-2014-msi-ghost-pro-gs60-non-3k.html

Question

There is roughly a $300 difference between the GS60 and GS60 Pro. Obviously the Pro has the faster GPU do you think its worth the extra 3 C-bills for a SECONDARY PC. How big if the performance difference?

Question

There is roughly a $300 difference between the GS60 and GS60 Pro. Obviously the Pro has the faster GPU do you think its worth the extra 3 C-bills for a SECONDARY PC. How big if the performance difference?

When I purchased my GS60 Pro, it was only $100 more than this model which has the same hard drive space but slightly more memory than the Pro. At that time, the $100 was well worth the GPU bump you get in my opinion.

Unfortunately, it seems that Newegg has raised the price on it since I purchased. I would recommend looking into some of the other vendors who have not raised the price such as XoticPC, Gentech, and ProStar. With that said, it heavily depends on what your primary intended use for the laptop is. If you are looking for a gaming laptop (Even as a secondary PC), I think that 870 is worth the premium as it will stay relevant longer. I would probably hold out for somewhere that has it at $1799 instead of the MSRP though.

OK, GentechPC has it for $1799. Now compare this with the other elephant in the room the Lenovo Y50 at $1250.

Y50 slightly faster CPU I7 4710 vs GS60Pro I7 4700 (Minor diff)
GS60Pro has more RAM (12 vs 8 Gigs) (No big deal for my uses)
GS60Pro has better GPU (870M vs 860M) (very important)
GS60 slightly lighter 4.26lbs vs 5.36lbs (cant decide if saving an extra pound is worth it for travel, weight is important).

Y50 Better Battery Life/Build quality (not important, don't plan to use battery much)
Y50 MUCH less expensive. (very important)

The regular GS60 is not worth it, I'll spend the extra $100 for the Pro. But $600 between MSI and Lenovo is huge difference though. As this is NOT my main, but again if you think its worth it I'll spend the extra and get the GS60Pro

What do you think?

OK, GentechPC has it for $1799. Now compare this with the other elephant in the room the Lenovo Y50 at $1250.

Y50 slightly faster CPU I7 4710 vs GS60Pro I7 4700 (Minor diff)
GS60Pro has more RAM (12 vs 8 Gigs) (No big deal for my uses)
GS60Pro has better GPU (870M vs 860M) (very important)
GS60 slightly lighter 4.26lbs vs 5.36lbs (cant decide if saving an extra pound is worth it for travel, weight is important).

Y50 Better Battery Life/Build quality (not important, don't plan to use battery much)
Y50 MUCH less expensive. (very important)

The regular GS60 is not worth it, I'll spend the extra $100 for the Pro. But $600 between MSI and Lenovo is huge difference though. As this is NOT my main, but again if you think its worth it I'll spend the extra and get the GS60Pro

What do you think?

Personally, I pay extra these days for weight savings. I carried around a 5.5lb laptop for work for several years while traveling, and I just don't have a desire to do that anymore. For me, that extra 1.5lbs made a large difference in the feel of portability. You will have to decide if it is worth the premium for some weight savings and quite a bit more GPU power. For me, it was.

You really can't compare build quality to an unreleased, unreviewed laptop. Given the price difference, I'd be shocked if the Y50 didn't seem to have noticeably cheaper build quality.

I am about to buy a gs60 and I am wondering about the temperatures and fan noise

If I have it on to take notes in a meeting or class is it loud enough to disrupt the class/meeting?

After an hour or two of use on the lap people say that it gets hot. Is it hot enough to be very uncomfortable or distracting if I am gaming or writing?

The Y50 looks great, but it looks like it is plastic around the keyboard, a quality that I don't want, since over time it will get the nasty discoloration and sheen that plastic gets over time.

If I have it on to take notes in a meeting or class is it loud enough to disrupt the class/meeting?
I don't think it is loud enough to disrupt a class or meeting, but it is noticeable. If the room gets quiet, you will hear most certainly hear the laptop's fan.

After an hour or two of use on the lap people say that it gets hot. Is it hot enough to be very uncomfortable or distracting if I am gaming or writing?
If you are gaming, the laptop will likely get too hot to comfortably keep on your lap. You should be fine if you are just writing and not doing anything that requires the discrete GPU or 100% CPU power.
For example: I used my laptop for around four hours straight a few days ago on my lap while doing some programming and it never got uncomfortable.

The Y50 looks great, but it looks like it is plastic around the keyboard, a quality that I don't want, since over time it will get the nasty discoloration and sheen that plastic gets over time.
I think the Y50 is interesting at its price point, but the extra weight is a total bummer.

so far it sounds perfect, I only have two more questions:

Since the air intake is above the keyboard, would a cooling pad even work with it? I don't see any intakes on the bottom at all.

My friend has a Lenovo with black aluminum, and where his wrists rest when he is typing has turned completely white and worn down, like the black finish has rubbed off. Does that mean that his laptop was plastic underneath? or is this something that happens with black aluminum laptops? I do a lot of typing and I don't want my laptop to look like junk after a year.

so far it sounds perfect, I only have two more questions:

Since the air intake is above the keyboard, would a cooling pad even work with it? I don't see any intakes on the bottom at all.

My friend has a Lenovo with black aluminum, and where his wrists rest when he is typing has turned completely white and worn down, like the black finish has rubbed off. Does that mean that his laptop was plastic underneath? or is this something that happens with black aluminum laptops? I do a lot of typing and I don't want my laptop to look like junk after a year.

The base of the laptop still gets warm, so it is possible that a cooling pad could help some. I have never personally used one with it so hopefully someone else with more personal experience can respond.

It is possible that the Lenovo is actually aluminum, and the anodizing could be wearing off. Hard to say if that will be a problem with this laptop.

One caution on the GS60 870M, some games will run so hot that it will throttle with out of the box settings. I'd only get the 870M version if you're ok with flashing the bios to undervolt it.

I was wondering if and one has tried to cover up the logo on the back?

If so, what did you use?

If so, what did you use?

No I haven't. I haven't really noticed it actually. Are you worried about it being bright? Or just obnoxious lol. It isn't bright, so that isn't the problem for me. The dragon may be, if I went to work. But for now, I just left it. Just find a sticker or two. Or wide electrical tape and precision knife.

No I haven't. I haven't really noticed it actually. Are you worried about it being bright? Or just obnoxious lol. It isn't bright, so that isn't the problem for me. The dragon may be, if I went to work. But for now, I just left it. Just find a sticker or two. Or wide electrical tape and precision knife.

Its going to double as a work laptop. In a professional setting, I don't need anyone getting any preconceived notions as I start my career.

I think I will use electrical tape and precision knife to block it, than add a very classy sticker. Maybe our state seal? lol

Also, how is the fan noise at idle? I hear some complaints, but i'm interested to see what you think.

Its going to double as a work laptop. In a professional setting, I don't need anyone getting any preconceived notions as I start my career.

I think I will use electrical tape and precision knife to block it, than add a very classy sticker. Maybe our state seal? lol

Also, how is the fan noise at idle? I hear some complaints, but i'm interested to see what you think.

Haha yeah I definitely know what you mean. That's a good choice. Except you might be getting a little too patriotic with that sticker haha. I guess unless you're working for the state.

Anyway, I honestly don't know what people complain about with the idle fan noise. People need to chill out. It really isn't that bad. Even when I am running Adobe Premiere or After Effects, it doesn't get that loud. At idle, it's barely anything. Not to mention it's a super high-end laptop. I can guarantee you that at idle, it is so quiet. May not DEAD silent as my old laptop, but there is just a little wisp of air coming out that you can hear if you concentrate on it. I don't know what people need to concentrate on so badly that they're bothered by this fan noise. You're definitely not going to get a "SHUT THE HELL UP" reaction in the office by any means lol.

Hey guys!

So I got my gs60 in last night. I played around with it and here are my inital impressions about a lot of the things people have been talking about:

The GOOD:

860m/i7: wow, a powerful little combo. I really wasnt expecting to run games like GW2 maxed out, but this thing handles it with ease!

Screen: beautiful. You can tell that it is high quality.

Keyboard: Such a pleasure to type on!! I will go out on a limb and say its the best laptop keyboard i've ever used. Way better than the MBPr that I just sold! The led lighting is a bit lacking and is missing behind some of the F keys, but that is minor. The typing experience is really important to me.

Touch-pad: I heard a lot of people complain about this, but I actually really like it! The mult-touch gesture perform nicely. Is it as good as a MPBr touch-pad, well no, but nothing is.

Weight: This is really a light laptop. I am surprised every time I pick it up with how light it is!

THE BAD:

THE Noise, the fans never dip below 2800 rpms, which is still very audible. Such a shame because the CPU is in the low 40s while idle and the fans really dont need to be that high.

Huge power adapater. While they made it thin, this sucker is still huge. Makes me very envious of the razer blade power adapter.

Size: This laptop is a lot bigger than I expected. While it is very light, it looks and feel a lot bigger than a MBPr, albeit lighter.

Last edited:
Anyway, I honestly don't know what people complain about with the idle fan noise. People need to chill out. It really isn't that bad. Even when I am running Adobe Premiere or After Effects, it doesn't get that loud. At idle, it's barely anything. Not to mention it's a super high-end laptop. I can guarantee you that at idle, it is so quiet. May not DEAD silent as my old laptop, but there is just a little wisp of air coming out that you can hear if you concentrate on it. I don't know what people need to concentrate on so badly that they're bothered by this fan noise. You're definitely not going to get a "SHUT THE HELL UP" reaction in the office by any means lol.

What are your rpms at idle?

Just typing on this webpage im idling at 42C and 2890rpm. In a quiet room, the fans are definitely audible. I guess since im coming from a MBPr, which is completely inaudible at idle, that this is a hard adjustment.

Size: This laptop is a lot bigger than I expected. While it is very light, it looks and feel a lot bigger than a MBPr, albeit lighter.

15.6in Windows laptops are 16:9 and are half an inch wider than the 16:10 used on the Macbook 15. Manufacturers also tend to want to stick in a numpad at that size as well (which is arguable as a pro/con). Both of these basically add to the width which is the dimension you notice relative changes the most, followed by height and then depth.

Just picked up a Ghost Pro-052 from newegg. There's a 7% email coupon + $100 rebate card from MSI + Some random games. So in total including rebate it'll be $1575. I can't wait for it to come in... :D

Just picked up a Ghost Pro-052 from newegg. There's a 7% email coupon + $100 rebate card from MSI + Some random games. So in total including rebate it'll be $1575. I can't wait for it to come in... :D

That's a hot price. If you get lucky, you can snag an open box from newegg for insane prices.

Also,

has anyone found out a way to lower the fan idle rpm on the non 870m version?

Where is the 7% email code from (i.e. is it user specific or broad audience)?

It was part of an email that was sent out to newsletter subscribers. Subject was "Coupon Craze: 15% off SSDs, 20% off HDDs, 10% off Windows Operating Systems & More"
The code I used was EMCPAPE43. Not sure if it'll work for you.

Last edited:

If so, what did you use?

That's going to be quite difficult, short of covering the entire lid.

Just picked up a gs60! Thing is awesome, and I havent had a decent system set up for years so I'm really psyched. Mine has the 860m but it has the 4710 @ 2.5ghz according to my system properties. Thing is sweet, boots up to desktop in a couple seconds....that ssd is great! Love it.

I was going to buy an Asus model the had an 860m, but the more I read, the more I realized that I would be gaming on low settings with most of my games.

Back