3d on a 60hz monitor... wait what?

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
I saw a video the other day of someone able to watch 3d movies on a 60hz monitor. Can anyone explain this? I thought that was not possible and we needed shutter glasses / Nvidia 3d on a 120-144hz monitor for this to work.

The screen is likely using polarised 3D.
Each line going across the screen is one polarisation, the next down is the other polarisation...
Each one goes to a different eye, you wear polarised glasses to view in 3D.

When viewing 3D, the left eye is sent to say the odd lines and the right eye is sent to the even lines.
This reduces the resolution to each eye by 1/2 but allows 60Hz to each eye with a max screen refresh of 60Hz.
This type of screen cannot do full res to each eye in 3D but works fine with standard HDMI 1.3x, it doesnt need Dual DVI or HDMI 2.0 to do 60Hz 3D.

I have one of these screens, it works pretty well for movies.
Games with small text in can be a bit harder to read.

ah I got excited here thinking I could view 3d on my 30" 60hz monitors sadly no then?

Is there any solution?

3D Blu Ray playback programs: True Media Theatre and PowerDVD, can play to anaglyph (red/blue) glasses.

Wanted to touch back with this, I ended up buying anaglyph glasses and used KM player which is able to switsh SBS to anaglyph. I have to admit its not perfect but the poor mans way of 3d is not too shabby

Its a lot less hassle than full res 3D for sure.
Glad you got a solution you are happy with.

Wanted to touch back with this, I ended up buying anaglyph glasses and used KM player which is able to switsh SBS to anaglyph. I have to admit its not perfect but the poor mans way of 3d is not too shabby

The color quality and resolution take a major dive, but it isn't too terrible if you get the colors calibrated to match the glasses. It is fun just to mess around with.

The screen is likely using polarised 3D.
Each line going across the screen is one polarisation, the next down is the other polarisation...
Each one goes to a different eye, you wear polarised glasses to view in 3D.

When viewing 3D, the left eye is sent to say the odd lines and the right eye is sent to the even lines.
This reduces the resolution to each eye by 1/2 but allows 60Hz to each eye with a max screen refresh of 60Hz.
This type of screen cannot do full res to each eye in 3D but works fine with standard HDMI 1.3x, it doesnt need Dual DVI or HDMI 2.0 to do 60Hz 3D.

I have one of these screens, it works pretty well for movies.
Games with small text in can be a bit harder to read.

out of curiosity, is it as bad as 3d tvs, and can you tolerate it? i was blown away by how shitty 3d tvs look after first seeing one at best buy. i mean i could actually see the horizontal lines of pixels, not even close to HD when you are using 3d. i cant believe people actually pay for that feature.

Some polarised 3D TVs look crap, some look good.
Mine is as good as I could hope for given that it is half res, no complaints about anything else, in fact its rather good when used with the right glasses.
(The glasses shipped with it were for a different TV. It uses circular polarisation and the starting angle was incorrect making the screen look a bit purple or green. The correct glasses are very good)

The quality of the polarisers and glasses can make a big difference to brightness, colour quality and cross imaging. There should non perceivable to practically no cross imaging.
But you cant influence that hardly so be very choosy.
Try to test a TV in living room conditions, not on a bright shop floor.
When the display is turned up to very high brightness like in a showroom, you can get ghosting/cross imaging which you wouldnt ever get at home.

Note that there is a certain height at which a polarised 3D TV looks best.
If you view above or below that height it can ruin the 3D and image quality so check different heights as well.

Another thing to be aware of.
Some 3D isnt full HD or 1/2 res and playing SBS 3D (Side By Side 1/2 res) on a polarised TV will not be 1/2 HD as expected, it will be 1/4 HD, worse than 720p 3D.
This is because polarised 3D uses full res on the horizontal and 1/2 res on the vertical.
SBS 3D uses 1/2 res on the horizontal and full res on the vertical.
Any limitations from the 3D type used and the 3D TV will result in the lowest res on each axis.

The 3D type used by polarised TVs is OU 3D (Over Under) which is already half res vertically.
This is what you should feed to the TV for best results, even if the TV has a SBS option.

Yet another thing to be careful of is that many TVs or their video feeds have an auto 3D function.
Some lazy shops stick normal 2D TV or films on and convert to 3D.
This can sometimes be really crap, especially when its non HD material.

Last edited:
The color quality and resolution take a major dive, but it isn't too terrible if you get the colors calibrated to match the glasses. It is fun just to mess around with.
Yeah I set the monitors to Srgb mode not sure what else to fool around with to make it even better. My eyes got used to it but I streamed it to a friends tv and it looked better than all 4 monitors. I wonder if that has to do with height.

Some polarised 3D TVs look crap, some look good.
Mine is as good as I could hope for given that it is half res, no complaints about anything else, in fact its rather good when used with the right glasses.
(The glasses shipped with it were for a different TV. It uses circular polarisation and the starting angle was incorrect making the screen look a bit purple or green. The correct glasses are very good)

The quality of the polarisers and glasses can make a big difference to brightness, colour quality and cross imaging. There should non perceivable to practically no cross imaging.
But you cant influence that hardly so be very choosy.
Try to test a TV in living room conditions, not on a bright shop floor.
When the display is turned up to very high brightness like in a showroom, you can get ghosting/cross imaging which you wouldnt ever get at home.

Note that there is a certain height at which a polarised 3D TV looks best.
If you view above or below that height it can ruin the 3D and image quality so check different heights as well.

Another thing to be aware of.
Some 3D isnt full HD or 1/2 res and playing SBS 3D (Side By Side 1/2 res) on a polarised TV will not be 1/2 HD as expected, it will be 1/4 HD, worse than 720p 3D.
This is because polarised 3D uses full res on the horizontal and 1/2 res on the vertical.
SBS 3D uses 1/2 res on the horizontal and full res on the vertical.
Any limitations from the 3D type used and the 3D TV will result in the lowest res on each axis.

The 3D type used by polarised TVs is OU 3D (Over Under) which is already half res vertically.
This is what you should feed to the TV for best results, even if the TV has a SBS option.

Yet another thing to be careful of is that many TVs or their video feeds have an auto 3D function.
Some lazy shops stick normal 2D TV or films on and convert to 3D.
This can sometimes be really crap, especially when its non HD material.

What would be the case for the new ROS PG278Q 144hz monitor? Or for my u3014 anything you should use / not use? Seems most videos are SBS

Quite a few things were mentioned, which aspect are you asking about?
If it was video resolution, you are using a full HD 3D screen with shutter glasses.
Whatever 3D type you feed it, it can do the full res of the actual video.
SBS and OU will look exactly as intended.
The u3014 2D screen will perform as explained to the op, you can do Red/Blue glasses 3D only and will need a player that will convert to that.

Your 3D screen is even fast enough to do frame doubling with full res 3D video.
ie you can have the 30Hz per eye doubled to 60Hz per eye, as long as the video player can co-exist with a frame doubler.

I havent been able to test this on a 120Hz+ screen so cant tell you if it is possible to double up full res 3D.
I can only frame double 1/2 res 3D or full res 2D because of my screen, but it makes 1/2 res 3D and 2D look pretty neat such that I always use it now.
There is one tweak on it that is a must, set "Artifacts masking" to strongest to get rid of the halo round moving objects. It needs quite a strong CPU.
(I cant use it for interlaced 2D video because that is already around 60Hz, but you might be able to frame double that too)

The tool I use is Smooth Video Project.
http://www.svp-team.com/

Last edited:
It seems to me that most monitors should be able to do active 3D just fine, regardless of being 60/120/ec Hz, you just need the proper software and hardware (namely, glasses and emitter.... and drivers/software).

Long as you can get the glasses to sync up to 30fps per eye, then there is no real technical reason why it won't work with just about any monitor. With that said, It wont likely be ideal... and I'm not even sure if such software/hardware exists, but in theory there is nothing stopping it.

Quite a few things were mentioned, which aspect are you asking about?
If it was video resolution, you are using a full HD 3D screen with shutter glasses.
Whatever 3D type you feed it, it can do the full res of the actual video.
SBS and OU will look exactly as intended.
The u3014 2D screen will perform as explained to the op, you can do Red/Blue glasses 3D only and will need a player that will convert to that.

Your 3D screen is even fast enough to do frame doubling with full res 3D video.
ie you can have the 30Hz per eye doubled to 60Hz per eye, as long as the video player can co-exist with a frame doubler.

I havent been able to test this on a 120Hz+ screen so cant tell you if it is possible to double up full res 3D.
I can only frame double 1/2 res 3D or full res 2D because of my screen, but it makes 1/2 res 3D and 2D look pretty neat such that I always use it now.
There is one tweak on it that is a must, set "Artifacts masking" to strongest to get rid of the halo round moving objects. It needs quite a strong CPU.
(I cant use it for interlaced 2D video because that is already around 60Hz, but you might be able to frame double that too)

The tool I use is Smooth Video Project.
http://www.svp-team.com/
I am using SVP as well coupled with MPC HC / KM player it works like a charm. I have to say that in most movies I find SVP too distracting, in fast action movies its perfect. Plus SVP has the 3d option set. When I used the Red / Cyan glasses with KM player it does tend to look better on the 1080p screen.

Now I agree 3d on my monitors should definitely be possible. Most movies are at 23.97 FPS so technically 3d should not be an issue. With that being said there is 0 software that I have been able to find that supports it. I am quite satisfied with Red / Cyan anaglyph with the Pro-Ana 3d glasses.

I would like to point out though in movies with heavy reds (opening sequence of Star Trek) that colors are def messed up.

It seems to me that most monitors should be able to do active 3D just fine, regardless of being 60/120/ec Hz, you just need the proper software and hardware (namely, glasses and emitter.... and drivers/software).

Long as you can get the glasses to sync up to 30fps per eye, then there is no real technical reason why it won't work with just about any monitor. With that said, It wont likely be ideal... and I'm not even sure if such software/hardware exists, but in theory there is nothing stopping it.

Too bad there is no software to make it work at 30 FPS per eye. I personally dont see why it wouldnt though.

Its possible the calibration of your 2D screen doesnt suit the anaglyph glasses or you have a pair of anaglyph glasses that dont suit your monitor very well, or possibly the anaglyph renderer.
There is a surprisingly large array of red/blue and red/green glasses, it might be worth trying some varying shades or try another anaglyph render.

No my Red/Cyan Pro-ana glasses work with KM player, was reffering to non anaglyph.

The issues with the Red/cyan is that the viewing angle with my glasses sometimes dont look as clear. It takes some getting used to

Back