Strange issue in chrome, trying to open local html files

merc141

Limp Gawd
Real strange problem just started happening today, haven't been able to fix it yet. I am taking a web development class and am using chrome for it, the problem is when using notepad++ and selecting Launch in Chrome or when right-clicking on the html file and selecting open with chrome, instead of my web page, I get a page that looks like my desktop directory. The url of this page looks like this:

file:///C:/Users/Matt/Desktop/##UDEMY##\JS\lec75.html

Now, replacing each of the # symbols with %23 will solve this problem (even with the backslashes all funky like that.) I should note that right-clicking and then opening in IE and Firefox works perfectly fine. When doing ctrl+O in chrome the html file opens perfectly. Again, this is an issue that came out of nowhere. I have been using this same directory perfectly fine for a while now until today.

The only change I have made to my system lately is uninstalling Kaspersky and installing bitdefender in its place. So far I have tried:

- disabling all the chrome extensions
- ran ccleaner to clean up junk
- removed and then added chrome as a trusted app in bitdefender
- uninstalled and reinstalled chrome
- I did scans in bitdefender, Ad-ware, and did the online ESET scanner

So far nothing has helped. This is just an odd problem, a quick googling hasn't turned up anything similar to my problem. I was hoping someone had an idea for a next step to try. Thanks for any help.

Back