Galaxy Tab S 8.4 vs 10.5 for reading comics?

tybert7

2[H]4U
So marvel unlimited costs 99 cents to sign up for now during comic con week, so I decided to check out the service.

I've always wanted to dive into comics but never did as a kid, so this seems like a good way to check out a lot of the back catalog.

I LOVE amoled displays, so these new tab s models are the only game in town for me.

However, I have NO idea which size is better for reading things like comics.

For those who do read comics on tablets, and have used smaller tablets and larger 10" tablets, what form factor did you prefer?

If you only used 1 size tablet to read things like comics, that's ok too. How was it on the specific tablet size?

I have the 8.4. Comics are readable, and it's easier to hold with one hand.

I also have the 8.4 and the comics are readable for me as well. I wouldn't want to try on my Nexus 7 but 8.4 seems just right for me.

How close do you hold it? I hold it pretty close.

I have the 8.4" Pro and it is fine for viewing a whole page at a time while maintaining readability.

It looks great too.

I wouldn't go with the 10.5 unless you hold it far away.

How close do you hold it? I hold it pretty close.

I have the 8.4" Pro and it is fine for viewing a whole page at a time while maintaining readability.

It looks great too.

I wouldn't go with the 10.5 unless you hold it far away.

Consensus seems to be on the 8.4"

Time to order. I'll use a link so the site gets credit. This is a nice excuse to try out a tablet, I am not a big fan of tablets over computers and laptops in general, but reading this type of content seems best suited to tablet device types.

EDIT:

Also, maybe actually owning and using one will win me over.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned this earlier, but the 10.5" version might be better if you prefer to read comics in two-page view in landscape mode. Going landscape on the 8.4" shrinks the text and makes things harder to read. The Comixology app on Android doesn't even have two-page view in landscape, though, so this is probably moot. But I felt like mentioning it because I just downloaded ComicRack for Windows and really love how comics look on a 27" screen in two-page view, which is how they're meant to be read.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but the 10.5" version might be better if you prefer to read comics in two-page view in landscape mode. Going landscape on the 8.4" shrinks the text and makes things harder to read. The Comixology app on Android doesn't even have two-page view in landscape, though, so this is probably moot. But I felt like mentioning it because I just downloaded ComicRack for Windows and really love how comics look on a 27" screen in two-page view, which is how they're meant to be read.

Well, I still have my 27" achieva shimian at home.

I suspect you've ordered, but I'd go with the 8.4 as well. Samsung designed the 8.4 for portrait mode use, so it makes more sense for comics than... well, most 10-inch Android or Windows tablets, really.

I've owned several 10" tablets and prefer the 8.4" since it's big enough where everything is legible but still comfortable to cup in one hand. 10" is too small for something that requires two hands.

I suspect you've ordered, but I'd go with the 8.4 as well. Samsung designed the 8.4 for portrait mode use, so it makes more sense for comics than... well, most 10-inch Android or Windows tablets, really.

Yeah, it's already ordered. Looking forward to testing it out. My 15" pc notebook gets around 3-4 hours of battery life, definitely looking forward to something less limited in that arena. I just hope the windows notebooks catch up.

Current windows notebooks are commonly available with double that or more in terms of battery life.

Consensus seems to be on the 8.4"

Time to order. I'll use a link so the site gets credit. This is a nice excuse to try out a tablet, I am not a big fan of tablets over computers and laptops in general, but reading this type of content seems best suited to tablet device types.

EDIT:

Also, maybe actually owning and using one will win me over.

It is perfect for comics/magazines and I really like Flipboard (actual App, not Samsungs hacked version they force on you) for a lot of my internet consumption. It turns your internet sites into a magazine.

I mainly go to forums now on my PC because I want the keyboard to comment. But otherwise, it is flipboard for a lot of my net consumption.

Back