Making Chromecast work on a Non-HDMI TV?

ziballer

n00b
Hello,:D

I've got this old Sony bravia LCD TV which has one HDMI port and its busted, so I bought a "HDMI to Component" converter from eBay hoping that Chromecast would work by simply plugging it into the converter box and outputting it on the TV in component mode. But that didn't work....
$_12.JPG

When I plug in the Ccast into the converter, I see the Chromecast logo in the center bottom and then I get this - red/green digital noise followed by a scrambled image on the screen.

Made a youtube video of the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pnm_62yC9o&list=UUTdlg1HKChdFJsxtHzhA_Tg

I can play a video and hear the sound quite well through the converter but the display is completely garbled, I'm not sure what is causing this issue, some people have pointed out that the hdcp protection might be causing problems and such.

So my question is can I make it work with a HDMI splitter like this one.
-
1309329526_500x500_sa.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108204-Mini-Splitter-Support/dp/B008CR10K2

It apparently strips the HDCP and my theory is that I can plug the Chromecast ---> HDMI splitter --->Hdmi Component converter--->LCD

Do you guys think this will work?:confused:

Thanks!:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sure-fire way of getting what you want working is the HDFury2.

I can personally confirm that the HDFury2 works with the Chromecast, and can adapt it to 1080p over VGA (or 1080i over component) without a hitch. All HDCP protected content plays perfectly.

You're looking at using a $179 adapter to make a $35 stick work, though... That said, it might be worth it in the long-run if it extends the life of your TV, and allows you to use HDMI devices with it again.

It'll make more sense economically to replace the TV.

Its not an HDCP issue, its a EDID issue. The box you have is not able to tell what resolution the TV is able to display. So instead it has several preset modes programmed into it that it sends to the chromecast. Problem is those resolutions are not supported by the chromecast so you get a garbled image. If it was HDCP you would have no image at all.

All these boxes that covert digital to analog are a hit or miss except for the ones that were sold by mono price, not sold anymore for obvious reason. I had one that did HDMI to VGA and it was glorious. No longer made. I bought it for 50 sold it for 100. If I had known I would have bought a pallet of them.

If you post a picture of what your TV looks like I can tell you with even more certainty if that is the cause.

Last edited:
What's wrong with the HDMI port, is it a physical connector issue you can fix/jerry rig or it's completely blown?

Anyhow, if your TV has a VGA port you can try one of these Ebay $10 HDMI-to-VGA dongle including shipping from China. I use it mainly for HDMI-to-audio jack to turn dumb speakers into smart WIFI enabled with Chromecast. Also, briefly tested the HDMI-to-VGA on some old CRT monitors and while it displays a picture the edges might get chopped off due to displaying 16:9 content on non-16:9 display. You might have better luck with a LCD TV.

Search Ebay for "hdmi to vga dongle" and select the cheapest which is about $8-9.

$_12.JPG

All these boxes that covert digital to analog are a hit or miss except for the ones that were sold by mono price, not sold anymore for obvious reason. I had one that did HDMI to VGA and it was glorious. No longer made. I bought it for 50 sold it for 100. If I had known I would have bought a pallet of them.
Look into the HDFury II. Nothing hit-or-miss about it ;)

Converts HDMI to VGA or Component, option of RGB or YPbPr color space conversion, full 1080p support, Internal DAC for analog audio output, integrated optical SPDIF-out for audio pass-through, and it even auto-corrects for that off-center display issue a lot of HDMI-to-component adapters have.

And, yeah, it also defeats HDCP, so you can use normal unmodified BluRay players and PC's with older VGA / Component displays (one very popular use is bringing old high-end projectors up-to-date).

Back