Will Razer Surround work well with a DAC?

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Just wondering if Razer Surround would work well with a DAC. If anyone has experience with this setup feel free to chime in. Does it work in all games old and new? Did it sound good? How well did it work in games with large amounts of mood setting ambience and how was First Person Shooters positioning?

Grabbing something to replace this POS Asus Phoebus in the next week unless there is something coming soon that I should wait for.

Thanks!
:)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Actually it doesn't look like it. It sets up a second audio device in software in order to interpolate the 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound channels for the software to function correctly. That ASUS will have its very own hardware based offering that will probably not interface with the software since its being run from a virtual audio device.

Consult : http://www.razersupport.com/software/surround/

Just get a soundblaster z series card if you want the best gaming sound. I just use a SB Zx in stereo and it does an excellent job.

I'm used to just stereo sound in games since the Asus Phoebus surround modes rarely work. Even that is broken in many games. I have some bookshelf speakers that I use at night for ambiance and my headphones I use for everything important.

Is there a difference in the headphone amp section of the Zx and the ZxR? Is it enough to warrant spending $100 extra on the ZxR? I'll only use the L/R RCA out to bookshelf speakers and the headphone amp section.

Thanks!

I use Razer Surround for gaming through my Schiit Bifrost and it works just fine. Just set the Razer Virtual Surround device as yoru default in Windows, set it to 7.1 and then in the Razer software choose your DAC as your output device. It's not amazing but it's markedly better than stereo. Just make sure to turn off all their junky "enhancers".

I just wish I could justify a Smyth Realiser to myself.

Back