ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

Raja@ASUS

ASUS Community Support
This thread is for posting and sharing tips, tricks and results relating to ASUS X99 motherboards.

5960X OC tips PDF:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VRRbLPrZnMXpJY3k5Vk8zSVU/edit?usp=sharing

Easy 4.2 GHz OC guide:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VRRbLPrZnYjlVR2kzYkVvMFE/edit?usp=sharing

5-Way Optimization Manual:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VRRbLPrZnbExqRlQ2NzdzREU/edit?usp=sharing

Latest UEFI build 1002 for the X99-Deluxe (Recommended Build):

X99-Deluxe 1002 UEFI
Mirror

Latest 0606 UEFI build for the X99-E WS:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VRRbLPrZnY2xGYk9CMUdXYXM/edit?usp=sharing

Mirror:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3E8613852BC739B!6060

Latest UEFI Build for R5E:
RAMPAGE V EXTREME UEFI 0801
0801 Download Mirror

-Raja

Last edited:
Hi all, hope that Raja from asus can help me.
I'm reading the manual of Asus X99 Deluxe and I finded that asus suggest to use SLOT 1 and SLOT3 for a SLI configuration when on 40lanes and SLOT1 and SLOT 4 when on 28 lanes.

Why this difference?
And why if on 40 lanes I need to use slot 1 and 3, in this way the cards are too near, there is no headroom for airflow.
Why this?

Can I use SLOT1 and SLOT4 on a 40 lanes CPU too?
If yes, will it be 16x/16x?

Hi all, hope that Raja from asus can help me.
I'm reading the manual of Asus X99 Deluxe and I finded that asus suggest to use SLOT 1 and SLOT3 for a SLI configuration when on 40lanes and SLOT1 and SLOT 4 when on 28 lanes.

Why this difference?
And why if on 40 lanes I need to use slot 1 and 3, in this way the cards are too near, there is no headroom for airflow.
Why this?

Can I use SLOT1 and SLOT4 on a 40 lanes CPU too?
If yes, will it be 16x/16x?

since this an official support thread I hope that official reps answer to a thread that is not crowded :D
In this hopes I add some questions.

What are the USB powered by the intel chip and what are the USB powered by the ASMEDIA chip?
Is there a two way sli connector in the box of the Asus X99 Deluxe?

thanks for any help you can give.

since this an official support thread I hope that official reps answer to a thread that is not crowded :D
In this hopes I add some questions.

What are the USB powered by the intel chip and what are the USB powered by the ASMEDIA chip?
Is there a two way sli connector in the box of the Asus X99 Deluxe?

thanks for any help you can give.
Hello

Most all this info can be found in the motherboard manual. For 40 lane CPUs PCIeX16_1 and PCIeX16_3 are specified when using two video cards as each slot will run at x16 speed. PCIeX16_3 is not useable with 28 lane CPUs so PCIeX16_4 is recommended instead to keep optimal spacing between the video cards.

I don't understand the part about the cards being to near when using PCIeX16_1 and PCIeX16_3. This configuration results in 2 PCIe slots between the video cards.

SLI bridges are included but not Crossfire. All USB 3.0 ports at the rear panel are ASMedia.

Raja,

Do you have any info regarding a future rampage gene board? All info seems to point to no micro atx love for x99 this time around.

Hello

Most all this info can be found in the motherboard manual. For 40 lane CPUs PCIeX16_1 and PCIeX16_3 are specified when using two video cards as each slot will run at x16 speed. PCIeX16_3 is not useable with 28 lane CPUs so PCIeX16_4 is recommended instead to keep optimal spacing between the video cards.

I don't understand the part about the cards being to near when using PCIeX16_1 and PCIeX16_3. This configuration results in 2 PCIe slots between the video cards.

SLI bridges are included but not Crossfire. All USB 3.0 ports at the rear panel are ASMedia.

In this photo you can count the PCI Express.
asus_x99deluxe.jpg

The PCI Express nearer to the CPU is the slot 1.
There is a total of 6 slot.

Now count, 1, 2, 3.
As far as I see, slot 3 is the nearest slot to a "double slot card". So there is no headroom from a card to another.

PS: From here:
http://hardocp.com/article/2014/09/04/asus_x99_deluxe_lga_2011v3_motherboard_review#.VAijwWP_kgk
I don't see any Two Way SLI connector.

Last edited:
Raja,

Any chance we see an MATX X99 board come out form Asus anytime soon?

I will be buying Asus X99-E WS workstation motherboard when it comes (hopefully soon). My intention is to build an ultra high-end graphics and computation rig and this board satisfies my requirements to biggest extent since it has seven PCIe slots which is the highest number available in workstation motherboards.

But one related question popping in my mind is why the number of PCIe slots is limited to seven. This of course is no complain with seven being highest available but 8 would be more ideal from my point of view (things happen to be in multiples of 4, like 4-way SLI:). There is of course no lack of available PCIe links since this motherboard uses PLX chips. In motherboards using the PLX chip, slots are usually paired and are either x16 if one is used and backing down to 2x8 if both are occupied. But in the motherboard like X99-E WS slot 1 is not paired, it is x16. Making this slot paired by adding one more PCIe slot would seem to be trivial and financially viable for the motherboard of such caliber and price. So, is the decision to keep the number of slots at seven dictated by the size of the motherboard or some technical issues? Is it possible to use a riser to split the slot 1x16 into two 2x8 slots?

Having an issue with my X99 Deluxe.

When entering the BIOS it sometimes freezes up, then either hangs or shuts down the PC.

No stability issues so far in Windows...

i7 5930k
Asus X99 Deluxe
Corsair 1200W
32 GB RAM
Radeon 290 CF

Is the BIOS update on the ASUS site newer? Wondering if I should try applying that if so. Found another post here, this guy is having the same exact issues

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/209711-many-issues-since-moving-to-the-5960x/

Edit: I see a new BIOS was released today, going to try it

Last edited:
I am a new X99-Deluxe owner and will put my machine together this weekend.

I'm happy this thread exists but I'll be even more happy to not need the support. Hopefully everything will just work.

Just a heads-up, the BIOS update dated 9/4 seems to have fixed my issue. Tried rebooting and entering the BIOS several times just now and each attempt was a success. I'll post back if it occurs again, but so far so good :)

In this photo you can count the PCI Express.

The PCI Express nearer to the CPU is the slot 1.
There is a total of 6 slot.

Now count, 1, 2, 3.
As far as I see, slot 3 is the nearest slot to a "double slot card". So there is no headroom from a card to another.

PS: From here:
http://hardocp.com/article/2014/09/04/asus_x99_deluxe_lga_2011v3_motherboard_review#.VAijwWP_kgk
I don't see any Two Way SLI connector.
Hello

Again I suggest you review the motherboard's manual and specifications. The manual states PCIeX16_3 is the third PCIe x16 slot or if counting all PCIe slots it is the fourth PCIe slot from the CPU. Both the posted specifications and the manual state that one 2-way and one 3-way SLI bridge is included.

I will be buying Asus X99-E WS workstation motherboard when it comes (hopefully soon). My intention is to build an ultra high-end graphics and computation rig and this board satisfies my requirements to biggest extent since it has seven PCIe slots which is the highest number available in workstation motherboards.

But one related question popping in my mind is why the number of PCIe slots is limited to seven. This of course is no complain with seven being highest available but 8 would be more ideal from my point of view (things happen to be in multiples of 4, like 4-way SLI:). There is of course no lack of available PCIe links since this motherboard uses PLX chips. In motherboards using the PLX chip, slots are usually paired and are either x16 if one is used and backing down to 2x8 if both are occupied. But in the motherboard like X99-E WS slot 1 is not paired, it is x16. Making this slot paired by adding one more PCIe slot would seem to be trivial and financially viable for the motherboard of such caliber and price. So, is the decision to keep the number of slots at seven dictated by the size of the motherboard or some technical issues? Is it possible to use a riser to split the slot 1x16 into two 2x8 slots?

1) Having one native X16 slot is good as users with a single GPU don't incur PLX latency penalty.

2) Size, performance and market requirements determine how many slots we will use on a motherboard.

I am not sure how well a riser will work. Gen 3 via risers can be tricky, and I have not tried it - so cannot help.

-Raja

^ Thank you Raja for the explanation. I read in several reviews that PLX latency is not relevant practically. Then, do the riser card in slot 1 would need special support in BIOS? But anyway, I see the point.

Another question which came to me concerns the M.2 slot which in fact is PCIEx4. Is this slot only suitable for the SSD memory or can it be used as a universal PCIE slot? For example if I have fast PCIE SSD card or even graphics card and connect them via flat cable converting M.2 into PCIE socket. Would these cards be recognized correctly and operate via the M.2 slot?

Last edited:
Raja, can you shed any light on the ROG line-up for the X99 chipset?

Will there be anything besides an X99 ROG Extreme board?

Just curious about the PLX chip. With 40 PCI-e lanes available for the 59X0, why have a PLX chip at all?

Does this then give the 5820k more than 28 PCI-e lanes? Even with the PLX chip, why not have 2 native x16 slots so 2 way SLI does not incur PLX latency?

^ Thank you Raja for the explanation. I read in several reviews that PLX latency is not relevant practically. Then, do the riser card in slot 1 would need special support in BIOS? But anyway, I see the point.

Another question which came to me concerns the M.2 slot which in fact is PCIEx4. Is this slot only suitable for the SSD memory or can it be used as a universal PCIE slot? For example if I have fast PCIE SSD card or even graphics card and connect them via flat cable converting M.2 into PCIE socket. Would these cards be recognized correctly and operate via the M.2 slot?

Not sure - I have not played with such cables here. These types of interconnect can give rise to signaling issues so you'd only know if you tried.

Raja - Running a X99 Deluxe, when I enable fast boot+initialize boot drive only with Windows 2012 R2, the system freezes on every boot during the circling dots phase. BIOS 801 btw.

Hard to say what the cause is. GOP enabled GPU? Full parts and config list is probably a good place to start.

Last edited:
Hard to say what the cause is. GOP enabled GPU? Full parts and config list is probably a good place to start.

Parts:
16GB Crucial 4x4GBs 2133mhz RAM
Asus x99 deluxe
GTX 780 - worked in my 3930 with fast boot.
Samsung Pro 256GB
Corsair 1000 HXi

System works with CSM disabled + secureboot enabled, it's just the fast boot.

Parts:
16GB Crucial 4x4GBs 2133mhz RAM
Asus x99 deluxe
GTX 780 - worked in my 3930 with fast boot.
Samsung Pro 256GB
Corsair 1000 HXi

System works with CSM disabled + secureboot enabled, it's just the fast boot.

Check if that card has a GOP enabled BIOS installed or the latest build (it should have otherwise UEFI will issue an error). Not much else I can suggest - I can only try and get a replication from HQ on Windows 8, not 2012 R2. Any differences in the OS and there's nothing I can do about it from here. Support is for Windows 7/8.1, one would hope all else is the same when going over to server OSes, but for all I know it is not.

Last edited:
I can't understand why 5 way optimizations does not provide a way to select the maximum desired voltage.
I don't want to OC to 1.3, so I will not use this optimizations at all.

I got my X99 Deluxe yesterday and a 5930K.

After the installing the hardware and Windows 8, the first thing I did was install the LAN drivers and the Ai Suite 3. Next I downloaded the new bios (0801) since the board came with 04xx. Using Asus utility on Ai Suite, I installed the bios.

It rebooted a few times, and after that, it kept booting to the bios over and over again, in a loop. I cleared the CMOS and removed the battery but it still kept looping on the bios.

Right now I'm reinstalling Windows 8, but I worry that something might have gone wrong - it did boot from the CD, so I don't think so.

I'll let you know how it goes.

After the installing the hardware and Windows 8, the first thing I did was install the LAN drivers and the Ai Suite 3. Next I downloaded the new bios (0801) since the board came with 04xx. Using Asus utility on Ai Suite, I installed the bios.

It rebooted a few times, and after that, it kept booting to the bios over and over again, in a loop. I cleared the CMOS and removed the battery but it still kept looping on the bios.

Right now I'm reinstalling Windows 8, but I worry that something might have gone wrong - it did boot from the CD, so I don't think so.

Set the BOOT order to put the drive with the OS at the top.

I upgraded to the same CPU and MB. I tried flashing us the EZ Flash in the bios a few times. Each time it completes, but after restarting, no video and 60 error. Thank goodness, with the PC off, each time the Bios USB Flashback button works. It seems like the only reliable option.

And, are you able to use XMP? Every time, I enable it the PC will hang on reboot or crash.

I upgraded to the same CPU and MB. I tried flashing us the EZ Flash in the bios a few times. Each time it completes, but after restarting, no video and 60 error. Thank goodness, with the PC off, each time the Bios USB Flashback button works. It seems like the only reliable option.

And, are you able to use XMP? Every time, I enable it the PC will hang on reboot or crash.

what ram are you using and what mobo?

It is now happily downloading all the Windows updates. It seems that when I updated the bios it maybe... disliked Windows? I've read somewhere on the Interwebs that it happens from time to time. Also, I was able to install all the software from Asus X99-Deluxe support site - which requires quite a few restarts.

No, I haven't enabled XMP yet, nor tried any sort of overclocking. I do remember seeing in some of the review - [H]'s included - that with the original bios it moves the boot strap to 125MHz.

By the way, I have 16GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 (4 x 4GB); like I said, haven't enabled XMP so they're running at 2133 right now.

Once I get everything properly updated in Windows, I will make an image of the drive and then start playing with the OC ;)

Hi Raja...

Does the X99 Deluxe support booting from a M.2 SSD drive like the Samsung XP941? I'm taking about booting into Windows 8.1.

As far as I understand it from the SSD Review site, the Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 has been one of the very select few to offer this "feature".

Hi Raja...

Does the X99 Deluxe support booting from a M.2 SSD drive like the Samsung XP941? I'm taking about booting into Windows 8.1.

As far as I understand it from the SSD Review site, the Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 has been one of the very select few to offer this "feature".

as far as I know all X99 motherboard are able to boot M.2 drives.
am I wrong?

Hi Raja...

Yes it does. Just select the UEFI prefix for your ODD as the install device when making the install to the drive.

Here in Denmark you can buy ASUS X99-S that looks very similar to the Deluxe. I know it is missing dual LAN and Wi-Fi (maybe also bluetooth?). But there's no info to be found about this board whatsoever. Can you shed any light on this?

Back