Yahoo Turns 20

HardOCP News

[H] News
Yahoo co-founder David Filo made a blog post today announcing that Yahoo has turned 20 years old.

In 1995, Jerry and I started Yahoo to help people more easily navigate the web. We wanted to build a guide. When we came up with the idea, it wasn’t designed to be a business, it was simply something we found useful. When we realized other people found it useful, we were motivated to work on it even more. Twenty years later, the core of Yahoo is still the same. We are driven by the same purpose - to be your guide around the web. You may not know how much you motivate us every day by using our products and sharing your ideas, but you do. Thank you.

It still looks like it's 20. A cluttered shit show of useless fucking information. Hey, here are 10 articles on Kim Kardashians giant ass-tits. Oh look, is it a black/blue dress or a white/gold one, a question for the ages!!! FUCK YOU!!!

They should have kept it simply like Google. If they did, they would still be on top. Look at Bing and Google, very minimalistic. Look at Yahoo, clusterfuck of pictures, auto playing videos and sometimes if you're luck, full page Flash ads.

The thing is, quite a few people want to be greeted with all that crap when the launch their browser. Mostly women I think.

They should have kept it simply like Google. If they did, they would still be on top. Look at Bing and Google, very minimalistic. Look at Yahoo, clusterfuck of pictures, auto playing videos and sometimes if you're luck, full page Flash ads.
Google beat them on phonetics and ads. The ads lured more investors which enabled free Gmail and the purchase of youtube. Google also wasn't public until after the dotcom crash so they managed to sidestep wallstreet looking over their shoulder demanding monetization now!

It still looks like it's 20. A cluttered shit show of useless fucking information. Hey, here are 10 articles on Kim Kardashians giant ass-tits. Oh look, is it a black/blue dress or a white/gold one, a question for the ages!!! FUCK YOU!!!

Unlike Google and Bing, Yahoo's current products/services and business model revolves around the illusion of providing information while actually providing nothing of value.

With the exception of one or two legacy products and recent acquisitions, Yahoo is a content farm that generates tons of useless content targeting clueless people.

A lot of Yahoo "news" articles are just rehashed AP articles or filler with no real content. So much drivel

I don't use Yahoo, but I now like co-founder David Filo for his seemingly genuine candor. Now if they only made a product that didn't make me feel like I was completely out of touch with what these hip youngsters are up to these days.

Google, like Band-aid, has become synonymous with they thing they do. Using Yahoo is like using a non-Band-aid bandage. I guarantee not one person on these forums can name another bandage brand without...ahem... Googling it.

when i first got on the internet 20 years ago, Yahoo was a piece of shit

Was it? I remember all the search engines being about the same back then. Yahoo was the easiest name to remember of the bunch.

I don't frequent Yahoo much, but I still do have an email there for crap accounts. Thanks Yahoo.

I use Yahoo mail for junk accounts that I need and non-important things. Does what it should and has a great spam filter. The front page news is alright for keeping up on the biggest articles around the world, obviously not a #1 reliable news source for news junkies, but that isn't what it is trying to accomplish. All the other dozens of tabs don't get touched so I can't comment on them.

Long live Yahoo! All you haters can keep crying because they are still in business and helping prevent the inevitable Googlopoly.

Yahoo Finance has been and still is pretty good. I've always been appalled at, and puzzled by, how bad Google Finance continues to be to this very day.

Those news are there because they attract many readers, regardless of how useful they may be. Yahoo never claimed to be a productive or educational site.

Yahoo has lost most of its top brass engineering talent so I wouldn't expect any major technical innovations from them.

There was definitely a time when they had some of the top technical minds in the field.

Yahoo's news page is just like the rest imo.. They all have similar or the same garbage articles from what I've seen. Go to yahoo and view their latest news storiesa nd you will see them every where else also.

Back