Figuring out Mouse DPI?

roz1281

Gawd
Hello! I have been using a CM Storm Xornet mouse for a couple years. The website says it can switch between 500, 1000, 2000 DPI. In the specs it lists a 1000hz polling rate.

Now, I never installed the software and opted for the default microsoft driver when I plug the mouse in. Does this mean that my mouse's DPI is 1000 by default (the polling rate)? The buttons to swap DPI don't work without software installed (which is good I don't want to be able to change anyway)

I'm just curious so if i shop for a mouse in the future i can get something similar as I love the feel of it at 6/11 in windows and in games.

According to CM as well as some reviews, there is no software. The only thing available for download from CM is firmware.

Also, polling rate is not the same as DPI.

From what I could find, it looks like if you are not able to change the DPI settings, then there must be something wrong with the mouse.

put a piece of paper under the mouse, move the cursor all the way to the left, an inch below the top, make a mark on the paper by the left side, drag the mouse all the way to the right, staying the same horizontal distance, and make another mark on the paper.

measure the two marks in inches, then divide your screen horizontal resolution by the inches. that is your dpi.

example, on my screen it takes 4 1/4 inches of mouse movement to move from left to right. 3440/4.25 = 809, or 800 dpi considering measurement errors.

@cyclone3d, interesting thanks. How can i tell if the DPI is changing? The mouse doesn't gain or lose any sensitivity, so I assume that means it isn't working?

@jiminator, I will try that right now!

Quick dumb question.. what dpi should I be using runing a screen res of 2560x1440? I have the rate set to 1000.

there is no "should". It depends on what you use your mouse for. The general idea is that if it takes you a long time to get to a target then dpi is too low. If however you frequently overshoot the target then dpi is too high. This becomes more important in twitch shooters. Less in other types of games. Generally you become used to whatever you are using, then have to go through an adjustment if any changes from that

Back