17.3" IPS, sane kb trackpad, 860M/965M+, chunky okay

xorbe

Supreme [H]ardness
update: went with the ASUS G751JT-CH71 + installed extra ssd.

4710HQ / 4720HQ cpus are fine. 860M+ is fine. Win7 is a bonus, but I've given up on that now. Non-TN screen is a hard requirement. Will be used for photoshop, audio, and some gaming. Hence, IPS, decent sound, and okay gfx horsepower. The individual is on the go, but weight is not a problem. Often used with external kb / mouse.

1) ASUS ROG 17? full size arrow keys, IPS, but everyone dings the sound output. =/ Ah, but user uses headphones (plus usb sound card) for audio work. $1499 970M is overkill, but hey.

2) Acer Nitro 17 - lousy trackpad and integrated buttons, lousy mini arrow keys, lousy serviceability, 860M, has IPS, thin. $1399

3) MSI GT / GE / GS - normal arrow keys, 965 / 970 / 980M but impossible to get IPS without a really, really high price ($3900). OMG, because they ship 4x256 ssd in raid in the IPS machines. How lame.

4) AW - pretty sure the 17 is only TN (and no optical drive at that price?)

5) Dell Inspiron 17 7000 ... mini arrow keys, only 845M

6) HP - nothing

What else is there? There's the Clevo / Sager but impossible to find TN vs IPS specs meaning it's all TN probably.

Last edited:
Actually the Aliewnare is an IPS screen. I have the 15 and its gorgeous!

What else is there?

The Lenovo Y70 has an 860M and a 4710HQ CPU. No idea if it's IPS though.

A 17" Dell Precision with the Quadro K4100M should be around 860M performance IIRC. Beast of a machine too. You'll pay for it though. I'd be shocked it it wasn't an IPS screen.

They both are IPS screens.

AnandTech definitely called out the AW17 as TN. Not interested in the AW17 R2 after reading up on it (big laptop with no optical drive?)

Gonna spin the wheel of fortune on the Asus, since thickness/weight is not a concern. $200 more than the Acer, but the gfx are 106% faster. Standard sized arrow keys and track pad buttons.

It's too bad that there's no reasonable way to get an MSI 17.3" with IPS. In other news, dat MSI GT80 Titan laptop. :eek:

Some of those gigabyte laptops have IPS I'm pretty sure.

What about the HP omen 15? looks pretty snazzy and say a deal on techbargains for 1140$ shipped with tax

We got the 17.3" ASUS G751JT-CH71 and jammed an addition 1TB SSD into it (as the main drive). The ips screen is pretty nice. We left Win8.1 on it instead of fighting with Win7 drivers. The SSD and HDD were exactly the same byte size, which made cloning a breeze.

Back