PSA: KB3004394 issues

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
This evening, my 360 Media Center Extender kept disconnecting from my trusty Windows 7 VM. I could not figure out what was causing it until I started looking into the event log. Kept getting errors in the event log like this:

Code:
Log Name:      Media Center
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Media Center Extender
Date:          12/10/2014 8:45:24 PM
Event ID:      107
Task Category: Session Enforcement
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      
User:          [redacted]
Computer:      [redacted]
Description:
An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center, 'Windows Media Center', with file name 'C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe'.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Media Center Extender" Guid="{7B7838A3-6562-4269-BB7A-97B0D9593882}" />
    <EventID>107</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>1</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-12-11T01:45:24.692700000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>303</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="952" ThreadID="2960" />
    <Channel>Media Center</Channel>
    <Computer>[redacted]</Computer>
    <Security UserID="[redacted]" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="Title">Windows Media Center</Data>
    <Data Name="File">C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Fortunately for my investigation, Windows Defender was also failing to start. Googling the error led me to this article, with people describing a host of problems caused by the update:

All MMC functions (Event Viewer, etc.) now require Administrator action, although in an Administrator account.

Windows Defender service will not start. The Windows Defender Service Terminated with the following error %%-2147023113

After I install it, I can't install any other Windows Updates. I get an error message on Windows Update. I have already did some advanced troubleshooting and narrowed the problem down to KB3004394.

The update itself installs fine, but after a reboot, no other Windows Updates will install. As soon as I clicked Install Updates on other updates, it goes right to a red X and error message.

Removing the update and rebooting allows all other updates to complete as usual.

Sure enough uninstalling the update fixed my issue and Windows defender started again. I had automatic updates enabled, since the intention is for this VM to be mostly headless, but now they're turned off so this doesn't happen again.

I know my particular issue won't necessarily be experienced by many here, but I thought I might share my experience in case anyone else who recently got this update was getting wonky behavior from their PC and wasn't sure why.

Yep, I was having issues with my work computer all day because of that update.

This update also killed VirtualBox yesterday. Forum overload. It was determined that KB3004394 apparently lacks a "catalog" causing several issues. Specifically I get that crypt32.dll is rejected.

After uninstalling it, rebooting, and scanning for updates, it isn't offered any longer it seems. And Vbox works again.

This should be on the front page of [H] news.

Last edited:
Wow millions of people will be in trouble now. And tech support companies got their christmas bonus.

huh... no issues on any of my work boxes that have this update installed.

But I do see that it has been pulled from Windows Update for at least Win7 and Server 2008R2.

It actually breaks something in Windows, even if you're not actively tripping over it.

It actually breaks something in Windows, even if you're not actively tripping over it.

none of my machines have the errant UAC prompt when opening up an MMC console.
none of my machines fail to start Windows Defender.
none of my machines log any errant/unusual events in any of the event logs.
everything is working as usual on all the machines I installed the patch on.

So... I experience ZERO of the reported issues. Well, I can't verify VirtualBox.
Co-worker has also had zero issues no 2 different machines.
Actually I believe no IT staff has reported any issues yet.
There are also numerous reports online of users that have no issues with the patch.

So it doesn't seem to fuck up 100% of the machines it installs on.

So... I experience ZERO of the reported issues. Well, I can't verify VirtualBox.
There are also numerous reports online of users that have no issues with the patch.

Yep, and yet, so far, I have had it occur in my Virtual Box Win7 install, a customers HP laptop and a brand new Dell machine with Windows 7 Pro. That is all before we caught the problem on my work. Have seen other machines from customers who may have been affected as well.

Guess the question I have is, are you upset and the post you quoted or are you upset at Microsoft? :confused:

We had it happen on pretty much every client machine we touched on Wednesday. Ranging from Dell's to HP's, Lenovo's, etc.

it sure fucks the new AMD driver install, I can tell you that

Today, Microsoft has pushed KB3024777 to Windows Update:

"The KB 3004394 update that was dated December 10, 2014 can cause additional problems on computers that are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This includes the inability to install future updates. This new update is available to remove KB 3004394 from your computer.

Since Windows Update might be broken by this update, the KB article includes download links from the Microsoft Download Center which will solve the problem. Here's the link again in case you missed it:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3024777

We had some crystal reports viewer corruptions oversea coinciding with this patch, currently investigating if there is a link or just coincidence.

Few months late but I still have KB3004394 on my system without issue.
KB3024777 was never offered or installed.
Going to MS site this patch cannot even be downloaded directly so it must have been pulled as well?

MS states to manually uninstall KB30004394.
Since I don't have issues I should probably just leave it be.

That's like not spraying for termites even though you know they're there, just because the house hasn't fallen down yet ...

Alright, but that fails to explain why the KB to fix the issue was not even offered with updates on two different 7 machines nor the fact after 3 months there have not been a single issue.

already tried 3024777

We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.

MS pulled the download.

3004394 is installed but more odd it was installed 2-10-15.
This KB was released last December.

I just downloaded it using that link above.

If you need the patch, PM me your email address. I'll zip it up and send it your way.

Therein lies the question, do I need the patch? Two machines, no problems, no BSOD's so I've left it alone.
MS says to manually uninstall 3004394 or apparently 3024777 will do it for you.

Therein lies the question, do I need the patch? Two machines, no problems, no BSOD's so I've left it alone.
MS says to manually uninstall 3004394 or apparently 3024777 will do it for you.

If windows update says you don't need it, and you're getting other regular updates, then no.

For the hell of it I did get the direct download, had to use IE as FF would not redirect. Tried to install and it did nothing so I guess I'll just leave shit alone.
I have quite a few updates that are optional, mostly dealing with remote stuff I don't use.

Back