Choices! 27" Monitor Recommendations

dextr3k

Gawd
Hi Guys,

I am currently living overseas in China, so my monitor choices are limited. But I do have options, so I wanted to ask you guys regarding some monitor choices. I used to have a 27" iMac, no fanboy, but the IPS screen was amazing to me. So for my pc I decided to go 27" as well. I don't game anymore (occasional game maybe), this is just for movies, word processing, web browsing, and that "wow" factor.

Choices:
Dell Ultrasharp 2713HM - Read a lot of reviews about this monitor, everyone raves about it, but I have heard there could be backlight bleed, and it has certain problems (treated as TV) when connecting to a rMBP, which I need to do as well. Connections and screen seem to make this my top choice as well. No speakers are a bit of a downer, and pricey for me.

Phillips 272P4QPJKES - Not much reviews regarding this, but seems to be a great compromise for a 27" 1440p IPS monitor. Looks sleek, and only 2/3 of the price of the Dell.

Samsung U28D590D - 28"! 4k!" Exact same prices as the Phillips, but a TN panel. I don't game anymore, so the refresh rate is wasted. But the size and 4k really attract me.

HKC T7000plus - 1440p AH-IPS screen, no DP input, but man, the price is just 1/3 of the Dell, WTF! I could buy 3 of these and line them up! I risk some dead pixels and stuff, but for the price, I could just buy 3 x 2k pixels and have 4k more pixels than the dell. LOL. And it doesnt look too bad either.

So any comments about these monitors? I know the dell should be on top, but the price really is making me hesitate. Asus PB287Q is available too, but pricier than the Dell, so thats not a consideration anymore.

Last edited:
i recently replaced my Dell U3011. I wanted a second monitor, but i wanted matching monitors. I was considering going 4K, but what killed it for me was the afforable ones were TN, and the nicer ones with the IPS/IGZO screens, had TCONs that did the tiled display thing. On top of that, windows didnt handle higher DPI screens to my liking. lots of blurry text because programs didnt handle dpi scaling well.

I decided to go 2560x1440, i liked it on my imac, and the loss of 160pixels from 2560x1600 wasant that noticable. I ended up with 3 Asus PB278Q monitors. they were alot less than the Dell 2713, and the Benq BL2710. I was concerned about the PWM dimming on the LED, but i've been running at 50% brightness for a few weeks now, and i just dont see the flicker, that people say might happen. Maybe im just not sensitive to it. I had Frys price match an online price for $467 each.

Overall, im happy with the move. Once Windows and programs running on windows handles the High DPI associated with 4k better, i'll move into a 28 ~ 32 sized 4k monitor down the road.

Yeah, so a friend has the PB287Q. He says it is great, but the Dell ends up being cheaper, which is why the asus was not included in my considerations.

Yeah, so a friend has the PB287Q. He says it is great, but the Dell ends up being cheaper, which is why the asus was not included in my considerations.

What prices are you seeing? Over here in the states, the asus is cheaper. and just to clarify, i got the PB278Q (1440p) not the PB287Q (4k res)

I have the 2713HM and like it quite alot!
The only downside that I have is the colors don't pop like they do on my 2407WFP-HC. However that's not a fair comparo since the HC monitor has high color gamut where the 2713 is standard gamut.

That said I like the 2713 much more for gaming! Viewing angles are better as well since it's IPS and not contrast shifting when you get a touch off center.

In RMB>

DELL is 4300
ASUS is 5000
PHILIPS is 3000
HKC is 1600

I don't know why the asus is more than the dell, but it is the 1440p one, PB278Q. I think I have a typo in my original post (287)

The HKC looks like a Crossover 2735AMG re-brand which will have the best colors and clarity, but the worst black level since it uses Plasma Deposition Coating. The Dell is better than the Asus and Philips, but the AOC Q2770QPU is better than both and usually similarly priced.

Read this thread for all the 1440p monitor info one will ever need.

The AOC Q2770QPU is available for the same price, so I might add that to my considerations over the Asus and the Philips, its 100RMB cheaper too! thanks!

I have the 2713HM and like it quite alot!
The only downside that I have is the colors don't pop like they do on my 2407WFP-HC. However that's not a fair comparo since the HC monitor has high color gamut where the 2713 is standard gamut.

That said I like the 2713 much more for gaming! Viewing angles are better as well since it's IPS and not contrast shifting when you get a touch off center.

Currenly owning a 2407-HC since it launhed, what is the differenses between that one and the one you have now?

Currenly owning a 2407-HC since it launhed, what is the differenses between that one and the one you have now?

I still have both.
There's a difference in colors being more vibrant with the 2407WFP-HC when directly comparing to the 2713.
For a general use monitor I prefer the 2713. Mainly because it has much more real-estate in screen resolution, uses much less power and therefor puts out much less heat.

The bit issue that I have with the 2407WFP-HC is ghosting and contrast shifting when moving my head from one side of the screen to the other, Both of those issues are non existent with the 2713.

The AOC Q2770QPU is available for the same price, so I might add that to my considerations over the Asus and the Philips, its 100RMB cheaper too! thanks!

The AOC is considerably better than both the Asus and Philips, also, Asus's warranty can be extremely shady.

Back