Looking to split my SR2 w/ 5690's

n0risc

n00b
I've just joined the forum, obviously can't post in FS/T. But I'll post my reasoning here, and may have some yell and scream not to do it.

EVGA SR-2 Classified LGA 1366 Mobo
2 X5690 Processors.

I want to create two separate machines entirely, because I'm ready for production and need more entities in the field creating my content.

The Single Socket LGA 1366 boards that will support the 55 and 56 series Xeon's are now rather hard to come by and expensive. 2 separate single socket boards now cost just shy of double for a new SR2 Classified. SMH..

The SR2 is just too big for production, and is a pain in the butt to move around easily.

I could part with all this older stuff and get new, also.

Suggestions?

If you're content with stock clocks there are OEM boards for under $100 that can boot Xeons; look for anything that boots hex-core i7's and you *should* be good to go (I'm not sure whether that is strictly true, but I have had good luck with getting OEM boards to boot D0 Gainestown processors).

What is crazy is that each of these chips is close in performance to an i7 2600k. But if you are looking to make a more portable system you might consider going with a new 4790k ? You could probably get a ton for your config on the fleabay, and if you have a microcenter around get the 4790k for $250 with 50 off a mobo, maybe go itx for making a portable system?

Back