Looking for a MP3 player that plays FOLDERS, not albums..

Bigolac

Limp Gawd
I've been fighting this for a while, but for some stupid reason, I sort my music by folder, not artist/album, etc... meaning I put certain tracks in certain folders... I can pay this perfectly through Windows Media Player just fine - I just hid the 'Play All' button, and away it goes. BUT - is there an mp3 player out there that can play a folder? Or some eaaaasy way to create a playlist from a folder....

TIA - Adam

Foobar2000

no nonsense audio player with plenty of plugins available for just about any audio format you want.

I have the Sandisk Sansa Clip Plus(2 tone OLED dispay, simple tactile interface) which does folder play, can take a 32GB(64GB reported) micro SD card.
Only issue I have with it is that the stock firmware has a limited database size limiting number of songs loaded to around 5000-6000. It can be flashed to Rockbox which does away with the limit.
They also have a full color LCD version called the Clip Zip.
http://anythingbutipod.com/2009/08/sandisk-sansa-clip-plus-review/
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64913
If you have a android device you can use EZ Folder Player.

The old Creative Zen Xtra mp3 players can do that.

It is kinda a pain to update the firmware on them though since you need an XP based machine to do so.

The updated firmware does add some nice things though.. such as being able to see the mp3 player as a storage device in Windows so you don't have to use the old software to do so.

It can also play high bitrate mp3s. Not sure if that was added in the newer firmware, but it does work.

Under Windows:

You can use good old Winamp to do that. Under the playlist window, click on the + Button and select Add Folder from the options (or use the Shift-L shortcut).

Portable player:

Sansa Clip+ supports playback of music by-folder. Just select Music->Folder, and navigate to the folder you want to play.

Last edited:
++ for foobar2000 and the Sandisk Sansa Clip Plus. I use both.

Great advice - I'm going to be looking for a Sansa Clip plus.

Thanks!

Sansa Clip Plus in the house tonight - this thing punches above its weight for the price.

Appreciate the advice - thanks!

Yup, A Sansa Clip+ that has been Rockbox'ed is to me the ultimate MP3 player. The versatility, functionality, performance, and portability are second to none. Rockbox really opens it up and turns it into the ultimate MP3/FLAC player that you can customize the hell out of.

I can recommend the Transcend MP 870. You can get it with 8GB for around $60. And you can add a Micro SD card up to 16 GB. I don´t have problems, it runs great.

Quick update - the sansa clip has been a blessing - I've put some velcro on the back so it can be mounted on my dash during the commute.

Also found out that android version of the 'poweramp' app also adds folder capability, if you should choose to go that route.

Android actually has a folder player app in general. It's a music app that JUST plays folders. Thing is I think it rescans every folder open so it's a bit sluggish starting up but it works okay.

I have the Sandisk Sansa Clip Plus(2 tone OLED dispay, simple tactile interface) which does folder play, can take a 32GB(64GB reported) micro SD card.
Only issue I have with it is that the stock firmware has a limited database size limiting number of songs loaded to around 5000-6000. It can be flashed to Rockbox which does away with the limit.
They also have a full color LCD version called the Clip Zip.
http://anythingbutipod.com/2009/08/sandisk-sansa-clip-plus-review/
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64913
If you have a android device you can use EZ Folder Player.

It can even handle 128GB microSD if you use Rockbox firmware. Technically the stock firmware can too, but 128GB of mp3s will put you way over the database track limit that the stock firmware has.

It can even handle 128GB microSD if you use Rockbox firmware. Technically the stock firmware can too, but 128GB of mp3s will put you way over the database track limit that the stock firmware has.

Ya, I already hit that limit(6000ish) with a 32GB so I gave RB another try.

The Sansa Clip+ as recommended earlier in this thread is a MUCH better choice due to its lower cost (by half) and its much smaller form factor. I'd recommend just using your phone over the Fuze if you want something that large with a color screen. Also note that the Fuze has been discontinued by SanDisk.

The Sansa Clip+ as recommended earlier in this thread is a MUCH better choice due to its lower cost (by half) and its much smaller form factor. I'd recommend just using your phone over the Fuze if you want something that large with a color screen. Also note that the Fuze has been discontinued by SanDisk.

Heard the Fuze + sucks balls compared to the Fuze.
Miss my 2GB Fuze. Some punk kids stole it years ago.

Back