IT Engineering and possible Internship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDubzs

Limp Gawd
So i was looking on Craigslist for a possible small job or internship, and i may have found something great.
First of all, the ad is posted calling for an IT Engineering Intern. When i hear Engineering associated with computers, i subconsciously think of Computer Engineering which is definitely not what i want to work in. I would enjoy working in IT, Networking, Systems Admin., etc. So, what exactly is IT Engineering? Google proves little help, and even wiki doesn't help much. So... yeah, what is it? :confused:

Secondly, they sound like something near perfect for me to try, but looking over the requirements, i would not qualify as a paid intern. Although, I believe i could really be efficient as something like a non paid intern, or just a co-op kind of thing. Kinda like something unofficial like basically an intern, but with no pay, no benefits, just there to learn, get some real experience, etc.
The ad sounds like it is basically user support with basic stuff like Microsoft Office, Windows, and some Routers/Servers :)D) and it says after 30-90 days, you can start handling low level tickets with some help. Seriously, this sounds perfect and like a truly priceless opportunity. I would really love to give this a shot, and even more so, them give me a shot, but i feel like they wouldnt even consider me.
I am thinking of emailing them directly, not via craigslist, and basically asking in a professional way if they would consider having me as a non paid intern or if i could shadow their team or an individual team member to learn and experience industry relevant work, and gain some work experience in the field i plan to build my career in.
Should i even bother, i mean, do you guys think they would really even consider it? I dont want to just mooch off them and goof off, i want to really learn, but also contribute to their business and be worth something to them, and i want them to be aware of that. More likely than not, ill still email them and inquire about this possibility, but what else should i include? What should i say in my email or emphasize? I want to give myself the absolute best chance at getting this opportunity.
Also, im only a HS senior, i have absolutely no real work experience, little extra curricular activity, but i know i would act professional and disciplined in a work environment. Just because i have little experience doesnt mean i wont be worth anything, doesnt mean i cant contribute, work well, or learn a lot. Long story short, i REALLY want this, and i know i can handle it. FYI, ill be going to college this fall for my BS in CIS (Computer Information Systems). Cant drive, but i can get a ride... parents lol.

CL post: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tch/4429595323.html
Their website: http://www.numanetworks.com/

Please help! Leave any feedback, advice and guidance. Sorry for super long post.

Sounds like a "hot" title for IT Helpdesk/Support/Technician

By hot I mean that the word "engineer" is a buzz word in many industries and sub industries so it helps spread attention a little faster than your normal run of the mill "IT Support" job title

Ive seen "Support Engineer" for an IT Help Desk role but never heard of "IT Engineer"

Sounds like a "hot" title for IT Helpdesk/Support/Technician

By hot I mean that the word "engineer" is a buzz word in many industries and sub industries so it helps spread attention a little faster than your normal run of the mill "IT Support" job title

Ive seen "Support Engineer" for an IT Help Desk role but never heard of "IT Engineer"

So are you saying this is something to be avoided or what exactly are you saying? I get what you mean, but is there something deeper im not getting? sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back