BGInfo and Group policy

sirusarai

n00b
I was wondering if anyone here uses both BGInfo and group policy together successfully...

I have been trying to solve an issue where BGinfo wont copy wallpaper settings for regular users, just gives me a black background with all the correct information on screen.

Are there any other, free, applications out there maybe that work better that will allow me to define a wallpaper image and it will display PC name, IP address and all that over the top?

Any help is good help :cool::cool::cool:

thanks!!!!

Is the wallpaper you are setting present on the local disk of the machine?

Is the wallpaper you are setting present on the local disk of the machine?

yup, just points to one of the default win7 wallpapers in C:\windows\web\etc...

its strange since it works fine for any of our "desktop support" users which have a different set of permissions that are higher than the regular users permissions. but i have set the user as a local admin on the box and it still doesnt work.

very baffling :confused:

We just implemented this for our users and ran into the same issue. We were able to fix it and still utilize GPOs to get it working without any extra 3rd party programs. How exactly are you deploying BGInfo via a batch or vbs script? Are you doing the copying of the imagines and registry changes with the built-in GP Preferences? Need some more info on your setup to better assist.

At my place we have a guy that wrote a .kix (basically batch file) script to enable the PC name on a blue blank background.

You sure you're not running into a licensing issue?

BGINFO (and all other sysinternals apps) require you to agree to the license before it will actually work. It could be sitting at a hidden licensing prompt. When you put it in the startup, make sure you use the /nolicprompt switch.

right now i have it running a batch script at startup

looks like this:

del C:\Deploy\BGInfo.bmp
c:\Deploy\BGinfo_4.20\BGinfo.exe c:\Deploy\BGinfo_4.20\Win7_new.bgi /accepteula /timer:00

everything except setting the default wallpaper is done locally. wallpaper is set with GPO

Ours is installed via a CMD file which contains :>
REGEDIT /s "C:\Packages\NAME BGInfo 1.0\Run_Key.reg"

the Run_Key.reg contains :>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"BGINFO"="\"C:\\Packages\\NAME BGInfo 1.0\\Bginfo.exe\" \"C:\\Packages\\NAME BGInfo 1.0\\bginfo.bgi\" /timer:0 /NOLICPROMPT /SILENT"

I checked the BGI file and it has the wallpaper set to a blank blue....it doesnt save the current wallpaper (we also use this to differentiate the corp/email/browser machines to the on air graphic machines.
Ours works with standard user accounts with no admin rights, but it looks like BGInfo saves the BMP file into C:\Packages\bginfo

Edit - I also use Microsoft BackInfo on some machines.....forget if that saves the wallpaper....

so i have definitely never seen it run that way before :p

how exactly does that work? is that CMD file running every time someone logs in?

Nope, just installed via the CMD file

Its runs at logon via the reg entry

oh ok, so what parts of that do i need to change to make it work with my own setup. sorry, i've never really messed with the registry that much :eek:

can i pretty much copy that as you've written it?

thanks for your help :D

I launched a vbs script via GPO which called bginfo for both admin and non-admin users. It works fine.

Back