OC AMD A10 6800K

DJ Big T

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's what I'm working with:
Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout Silent ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM on a Enermax ETS-T40-TB CPU Cooler With T.B.SILENCE PWM Twister Bearing Fan Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1150 and AMD FM2/FM1/AM3+

running on a 6800k,

now when I use "OC Genie" it says "only 65watt supported" , so I guess the next purchase that is best for 65watt would be the AMD A10-7800 Kaveri Quad-Core 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Socket FM2+ 65W Desktop Processor Radeon R7 series AD7800YBJABOX (which apparently is recent because I did not see this processor available two weeks ago)

Most research I read said to reach 4.6ghz, what voltages should I use, I have fans at high and it idles very low but sometimes reaches 51C?

What are temp ranges and settings I can use without damaging my computer. All parts are new and I use this mostly for gaming and graphics design.

Most importantly, what motherboard are you using?

Unfortunately I am using: MSI A58M-E33 FM2+ / FM2 AMD A58 (Bolton D2) HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

I can upgrade this soon via return to Newegg...

You should definitely get a better motherboard if you want to overclock. At the very least choose one that has heatsinks on the VRMs.

i would switch to at least an a75x chipset board to get the most out of that a10. a board that allows you to use 2133 or higher speed memory will provide you with more useable performance than just overclocking the the cpu past 4ghz. a 4.5ghz 6800k paired with just 1600mhz ram leaves a ton of potential performance untapped. peruse my thread history for my a10 6800k write-up. it should have the voltage i used to get to 4.5ghz with a good speed bump on the embedded gpu, too.

Well I play mostly SC2 and it runs like trash on my new computer, I can play most steam games at high res (FPS, etc) but to overclock budget is about $200 for new motherboard and CPU.

Do you have a discrete GPU, or are you using the 6800k alone for gaming?

I would imagine that a dedicated graphics card will help you a lot more than wasting money on overclocks. Herre is a good one for around $100:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121898&cm_re=r7_260x-_-14-121-898-_-Product

Also, if you play a lot of SC2, you'll find that the 4 cores of your processor are not being used, because SC2 runs on only one thread. So if you do have a dedicated GPU and you still have framerate problems, stop by Microcenter and pick up the Pentium Anniversary Edition + z97 motherboard combo for $100:

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/G3258Bundle.aspx

This is faster in 2-threaded apps out-of-the-box, and can be easily overclocked to 4.3-4.6 GHz wit the supplied motherboard, which makes it faster than your 6800k even in 4-threaded applications.

See here where 4 cores match or massively beat 4 AMD cores when gaming on a dedicated graphics card:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-b81-cheap-overclocking,3888-3.html:

Last edited:
I'm using a GTX 760.

It's running SC2 fine at low settings, apparently it's an NVidia issue which Blizzard is aware of, I would rather go with a decent i3 combo from Newegg.

Last edited:
I'm using a GTX 760...

Well then, you're likely CPU-limited.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-frame-rate-performance,3427-8.html

Performance of your core should be similar to the A10 5800k. As you can see, there's a SMALL benefit going from 2 to 4 cores, but adding 6 or 8 cores makes no difference, and even the low-clocked dual-core Pentium 860 hangs with the other AMD processors.

The only way to get high framerates (60fps) in SC2 is to buy an Intel quad-core with turbo-boost enabled, a fast-clocked Core i3, or else buy the Pentium Anniversary Edition and overclock it like a champ.

Last edited:
Well then, you're likely CPU-limited.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-frame-rate-performance,3427-8.html

Performance of your core should be similar to the A10 5800k. As you can see, there's a SMALL benefit going from 2 to 4 cores, but adding 6 or 8 cores makes no difference, and even the low-clocked dual-core Pentium 860 hangs with the other AMD processors.

The only way to get high framerates (60fps) in SC2 is to buy an Intel quad-core with turbo-boost enabled, a fast-clocked Core i3, or else buy the Pentium Anniversary Edition and overclock it like a champ.

That's what I was afraid of. I game at 1080p on a 27" IPS monitor.

For ~ $300 can I do any better than:
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with Intel Core i5-4570 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54570

? I already have a good heatsink that should work Enermax ETS-T40-TB CPU Cooler With T.B.SILENCE PWM Twister Bearing Fan Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1150 and AMD FM2/FM1/AM3+

I just want to make sure I am making the right decision so I don't have to upgrade for a while.

If you don't want to upgrade for a while:

Stretch your budget and go for the 4670k/4690k. Pick a budget Z97 board if need be, there are plenty in the $110-130 range. For ~$350, it will last you a long time, especially with overclocking (you cannot overclock non-K processors).

Your CPU cooler should be just fine.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1280-page6.html

The temps you are seeing may not be real. I have an Athlon 760K so I know. Core Temp and HW Monitor both show very high temps, as in 90 C or so at full load with good case cooling. Then I found AIDA64 and it shows around 50C at load. I would bet that is much more in line with reality.
AMD temp sensors are not linear either. AIDA64 shows either single digits or 0 at idle. I think it's pretty accurate at load though which is what matters.

To be honest, I would just leave that at stock and see how it performs for you. The 6800K has some pretty high stock clock speeds as it is. If it performs fine for what you need that's all that matters. It's a good budget cpu.

The temps you are seeing may not be real. I have an Athlon 760K so I know. Core Temp and HW Monitor both show very high temps, as in 90 C or so at full load with good case cooling. Then I found AIDA64 and it shows around 50C at load. I would bet that is much more in line with reality.
AMD temp sensors are not linear either. AIDA64 shows either single digits or 0 at idle. I think it's pretty accurate at load though which is what matters.

To be honest, I would just leave that at stock and see how it performs for you. The 6800K has some pretty high stock clock speeds as it is. If it performs fine for what you need that's all that matters. It's a good budget cpu.

Okay, what voltages should I use?

What about this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132149

or this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138409 ?

Here's what I'm working with:
Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout Silent ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM on a Enermax ETS-T40-TB CPU Cooler With T.B.SILENCE PWM Twister Bearing Fan Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1150 and AMD FM2/FM1/AM3+

running on a 6800k,

now when I use "OC Genie" it says "only 65watt supported" , so I guess the next purchase that is best for 65watt would be the AMD A10-7800 Kaveri Quad-Core 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Socket FM2+ 65W Desktop Processor Radeon R7 series AD7800YBJABOX (which apparently is recent because I did not see this processor available two weeks ago)

Most research I read said to reach 4.6ghz, what voltages should I use, I have fans at high and it idles very low but sometimes reaches 51C?

What are temp ranges and settings I can use without damaging my computer. All parts are new and I use this mostly for gaming and graphics design.

temp range for your cpu is ~0-90c. The max temp is 90c, but i wouldn't suggest going that high. Most folks recommend not going above 62c. So running at 51c that is fine, you have around 11c headroom still.

Richland cpus overclock pretty well 4.6-5.2 ghz is not uncommon.

Here is what I would suggest.
First forget about using OC genie. Go into the bios and manually set your settings.
This guide might help
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop/amd_fm2_overclock.html

Of course the a10-7800 is a better cpu, but its not a unlocked cpu, needs the K so you can overclock.

On the motherboard thing, the best board to have for the FM2+ is the ASUS A88X-PRO. The Gigabyte Sniper isn't bad either. Your board should work just fine though.

temp range for your cpu is ~0-90c. The max temp is 90c, but i wouldn't suggest going that high. Most folks recommend not going above 62c. So running at 51c that is fine, you have around 11c headroom still.

Richland cpus overclock pretty well 4.6-5.2 ghz is not uncommon.

Here is what I would suggest.
First forget about using OC genie. Go into the bios and manually set your settings.
This guide might help
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop/amd_fm2_overclock.html

Of course the a10-7800 is a better cpu, but its not a unlocked cpu, needs the K so you can overclock.

On the motherboard thing, the best board to have for the FM2+ is the ASUS A88X-PRO. The Gigabyte Sniper isn't bad either. Your board should work just fine though.

This is the kind of advice I need! Thanks! I'll work with what I've got so far...

I have an MSI A78M-E35 motherboard and it has no voltage adjustments at all in the bios. Yours may not have anything either which would limit what you can do in terms of overclocking.
Just adjust the multipliers up by 2 if you can and see how that goes. That cpu has a 41 multiplier for all cores and Turbo is 44. If you can change those in the bios I would suggest 43 and 46. If that doesn't crash you get a small boost in performance. Then if you feel lucky you can try higher.
You may also have the option to disable Turbo. It may be best to do that and change the main multiplier to 44 or a bit higher. You have to experiment a little.
Overall it may not be worth the time though if you have work you want to get done.

edit: Some people like AMD Overdrive software for overclocking when already in Windows. You may want to give that a try if you aren't familiar with that bios.

This is the kind of advice I need! Thanks! I'll work with what I've got so far...

I had a 6800K and hope you realize anything over 70C they will throttle automatically no matter what as its built into the die. Why someone is bringing up 90C I have no idea why as it shouldn't even be in the conversation. If your sticking with the 6800K get the best air cooler you can afford.

I had a 6800K and hope you realize anything over 70C they will throttle automatically no matter what as its built into the die. Why someone is bringing up 90C I have no idea why as it shouldn't even be in the conversation. If your sticking with the 6800K get the best air cooler you can afford.

90c is the thermal shutdown of AMD desktop chips. If your bothered to read the rest of the post, then you will notice I also said the max recommended temperature is 62c.

90c is the thermal shutdown of AMD desktop chips. If your bothered to read the rest of the post, then you will notice I also said the max recommended temperature is 62c.

Nobody cares about absolute shutdown max or should even get close. They should care about the throttle temp min. with newer chips was my point, Max recommended I would say anything under 68c is fine. Anywhoo lower the better as usual. My chip hit that throttle pretty darn fast without even using prime95, Intelburntest, etc...this top end chip runs hot, that's what was so frustrating. My Hyper 212+ couldn't even keep it from throttling OC'd even slightly or hitting max stock frequency.

Nobody cares about absolute shutdown max or should even get close. They should care about the throttle temp min. with newer chips was my point, Max recommended I would say anything under 68c is fine. Anywhoo lower the better as usual. My chip hit that throttle pretty darn fast without even using prime95, Intelburntest, etc...this top end chip runs hot, that's what was so frustrating. My Hyper 212+ couldn't even keep it from throttling OC'd even slightly or hitting max stock frequency.

the hyper 212+ is not a top end cooler, its a budget dollar replacement. Did you expect good results? Its cooling performance is far outdated.

62c is the recommended safe temperature from AMD.

Not going to argue with you, I posted here to help the original poster. Not start some other conversation with a different person, on a unrelated topic.

the hyper 212+ is not a top end cooler, its a budget dollar replacement. Did you expect good results? Its cooling performance is far outdated.

62c is the recommended safe temperature from AMD.

Not going to argue with you, I posted here to help the original poster. Not start some other conversation with a different person, on a unrelated topic.

Calm down...I'm giving him real world experience with the actual product. I'm sure your 3rd party expertise is just as good. Recommended is not the same as absolute safe temp. Nobody said it was a top of the end cooler but it is more than perfectly capable of handling most moderate cpu OC's...I had 2 fans' in a push/pull configuration on it btw. And if you read MY post it was hot with stock settings as well. You want to spend $60+ on a top line cpu cooler for an APU then that kind of defeats the budget purpose, but whatever let the OP do what he wants.

"Its cooling performance is far outdated."...WTF? Oh, by the way I also tried AIO water cooling on it in a push/pull and that was even worse. I'd like to see you get 4.5-5.2GHz out of one of these things without major voltage upping and extreme cooling! Spend way more $$ to keep it under 70C...nice. Nice not arguing with you. :rolleyes:

The Trinity and Richland chips are known for overheating and getting really hot for some reason, this is well documented. First time I ever seen anyone say that the 212+ isn't a top-end cooler... For all intents and purposes AIO water kits are lame due to their tendency to leak and just fuck out, and custom loops and such are only for the most extreme cases where people wanna get a higher than normal OC from their CPU/GPU's.

trinity and richland are certainly known for running hot. can't say that kaveri is much better as there seem to be factors beyond just heat as a limiting factor in obtaining high overclocks. i used custom water cooling for my 6800k build. i couldn't imagine sustaining the 4.5ghz cpu/ 1050mhz gpu overclock without going that route given the constraint of keeping load temps under 70'c. i used the highly reputable cooler master seidon 120v cooler for my 7850k build and found 4.3ghz to be the limit regardless of how cool the cpu ran as voltage increased. the amd apu is a jack-of-all-trades kind of platform and not really something that anyone should lean on as a sustainable mode of computing. its why they work perfectly as guts of those throw away $300 laptops you buy from costco.

trinity and richland are certainly known for running hot. can't say that kaveri is much better as there seem to be factors beyond just heat as a limiting factor in obtaining high overclocks. i used custom water cooling for my 6800k build. i couldn't imagine sustaining the 4.5ghz cpu/ 1050mhz gpu overclock without going that route given the constraint of keeping load temps under 70'c. i used the highly reputable cooler master seidon 120v cooler for my 7850k build and found 4.3ghz to be the limit regardless of how cool the cpu ran as voltage increased. the amd apu is a jack-of-all-trades kind of platform and not really something that anyone should lean on as a sustainable mode of computing. its why they work perfectly as guts of those throw away $300 laptops you buy from costco.

Yes, looks like Intel is the next step, good thing the cooler is compatible. If I swap out mobo and CPU I won't have to reformat, hopefully.

I didn't have to reformat when changing from AMD to Intel.

@OP: Are you using Windows 7? If so, search for core parking and disabling it. It increases frame rates on SC2, and WoW by a good margin.

Back