Nexus 5 vs MotoX

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
Which is the better unlocked phone, Nexus5 or MotoX? Opinions and facts will be appreciated :).

The new X has a few things over the N5, such as a slightly newer/faster SoC (Snapdragon 800 vs 801), better display (LCD vs. AMOLED), front facing speaker (that's louder and better sounding), and touchless controls with the screen off if you think you'd benefit from it. Cameras are both just adequate at best.

But the new X also costs considerably more, but you didn't say anything about price being a factor in OP, so I'm not sure if that matters or not.

new motox is missing wireless charging.

:(

trying to decide on an upgrade from my nexus 4 right now.

Price isn't a concern and I specifically do not want a Nexus6. Too effing big.

Price isn't a concern and I specifically do not want a Nexus6. Too effing big.

If price isn't a concern, may want to see if this Droid Turbo will be available unlocked (which it will be from Verizon anyways) and supported by your carrier. It's basically a smaller Nexus 6 or a beefed up Moto X (esp in the battery) depending on how you look at it.

Nexus 5 battery life is terrible and there's nothing you can do to fix it, other then keep it tethered to a power source whenever possible.

Nexus 5 battery life is terrible and there's nothing you can do to fix it, other then keep it tethered to a power source whenever possible.

Sure there is, update to Android L(ollipop - hate that name). :p

Makes a significant difference in battery life as reported from a couple friends with them and every tech blog soon after the preview was available.

If price isn't a concern, may want to see if this Droid Turbo will be available unlocked (which it will be from Verizon anyways) and supported by your carrier. It's basically a smaller Nexus 6 or a beefed up Moto X (esp in the battery) depending on how you look at it.

Where have you read that it will be unlocked?

Sure there is, update to Android L(ollipop - hate that name). :p

Makes a significant difference in battery life as reported from a couple friends with them and every tech blog soon after the preview was available.

I'm running the dev preview that was released on Friday, sure it's a tad bit better, but nothing significant.

Where have you read that it will be unlocked?

All Verizon LTE phones are unlocked out of the box. Just add the APN data for your carrier and you're good to go. All Verizon phones running a Snapdragon 800 or newer are fully compatible with T-Mo and mostly for AT&T.

I'm running the dev preview that was released on Friday, sure it's a tad bit better, but nothing significant.

It's pretty significant. Sucks you're not seeing it for your usage patterns though. My friend on his N5 noted about the same percentage (30-40%) increase in battery life on his N5 and he's a moderate-heavy user.

It's pretty significant. Sucks you're not seeing it for your usage patterns though. My friend on his N5 noted about the same percentage (30-40%) increase in battery life on his N5 and he's a moderate-heavy user.

I don't really use it for browsing, basically I just want to get emails on it, that's my biggest usage. Without a sim in it since I'm just using it for testing, it thinks it's good for 7 hours with little to no use just sitting on my desk.

I don't really use it for browsing, basically I just want to get emails on it, that's my biggest usage. Without a sim in it since I'm just using it for testing, it thinks it's good for 7 hours with little to no use just sitting on my desk.

Ahh, well if you have your e-mail client set to really short intervals or to "push" to the client (using exchange), I've never had good results with that as far as battery life is concerned. I keep my exchange/school account set to only check during a certain time window (during class since it's my school account), otherwise only update when I open the client. Not sure if this is an issue with the stock e-mail client or what, but if I have it set to push mail, it keeps my phone awake all the time and murders battery life.

Does the e-mail client show up as one of the top battery users in the battery stats?

Currently nothing shows in the battery stats except cell standby. There is a battery saver setting that reduces background data but that will throttle email and messaging if you don't have the app open. Doesn't do me a whole lot of good since all my alerts come in through SMS or email, wouldn't be very useful as a work device without them.

One thing is, the dev preview doesn't have the exchange apk installed, you have to install it manually after the fact. I'm not sure why, maybe they're trying to tweak that as well for better battery performance.

Currently nothing shows in the battery stats except cell standby. There is a battery saver setting that reduces background data but that will throttle email and messaging if you don't have the app open. Doesn't do me a whole lot of good since all my alerts come in through SMS or email, wouldn't be very useful as a work device without them.

One thing is, the dev preview doesn't have the exchange apk installed, you have to install it manually after the fact. I'm not sure why, maybe they're trying to tweak that as well for better battery performance.

Well you can see if your phone is staying awake with the screen off still in the battery history graph menu (assuming that menu/graph is still there in Android L). If the awake bar is showing a lot where the screen-on bar is not, then something is keeping your phone awake a lot when it shouldn't be.

I'm guessing the Gmail client will be replacing the stock e-mail client if it had to be installed afterwards, since Gmail 5.0 will support 3rd party e-mail. It doesn't specify exchange support in that article, but I'd say it would have to support it if they're doing away with the old e-mail client.

Depends on your definition of better. I carry a tablet around with me most the time, so for me a Nexus6 is better because it combines two devices into one.

Something is seriously wrong with your phone.

My N5 streams music at least half the day to a bluetooth headset, while syncing email, while updating RSS feeds, while on wifi, and I have at least 30-40% battery left after a full work day.

Something is seriously wrong with your phone.

My N5 streams music at least half the day to a bluetooth headset, while syncing email, while updating RSS feeds, while on wifi, and I have at least 30-40% battery left after a full work day.

I'm now convinced it's the spotty cell coverage that causes it when testing without a sim. I have a femtocell in my house, which helps with coverage but it seems to be cell standby that sucks up the battery. If T-Mobile would just get wifi calling working on the Nexus devices (or if Google would have added it in by default like Apple did), it would probably be much better. Also turning off the auto brightness seems to do wonders for the battery life. I need to grab a nanosim adaptor and I'll give it a go again with Lollipop to see how it does in day to day use.

Yes, The N5 deffo can have some horrid battery life. I keep a 12k mAh power brick with me at all times :D

But I can literally get through a full day with only my nightly charge if I want to.

Back