iPad Mini 3

KENNYB

2[H]4U
I read about this and just came away totally perplexed. The old model is now $100 cheaper and the new model only adds Touch ID. It seems like a total rip off. I haven't been happy with my Nexus 7 and I don't want a bigger tablet.

Anyone else feel a total WTF moment?

Yeah I have no idea what that is about. I think they just kind of ran out of ideas for the mini and hoped everyone would be focused more on the Air.

I think the Mini is a low margin product. I like the size and shape, but I can't get over how bad the screen looks to me.

The real news here is that the iPad Mini 2 is now $100 cheaper than it was yesterday, and that it has many years of life left ahead of it since Apple just released a new one with the same A7 in it. If you don't already have a Mini 2 and have been wanting one, it's an even better deal now and comes with even more assurance about longevity. Interestingly enough, the continued sale of the old Mini means that it will surely be getting iOS 9, probably along with the iPad 2 and even the iPhone 4S. Good day to be a Mini Retina owner, but maybe an even better day to buy one if you're not already an owner.

Because it uses the A8X and their new (thinnger) screen.

I'd wait to see how battery life is on it. I'm interested in the Air 2 after seeing it.

Because it uses the A8X and their new (thinnger) screen.

No, it does not. Only the Air 2 got those upgrades. The only upgrades the Mini got were TouchID, 2 more MIMO antennas and the option of a gold chassis.

Yeah I have no idea what that is about. I think they just kind of ran out of ideas for the mini and hoped everyone would be focused more on the Air.

Or Apple is supply-constrained in manufacturing.

There are only so many A8 chips to go around.

So delay it instead of throwing a fingerprint scanner on it and calling it a day....Such as the screen.

The real sadness here is they are still selling the garbage iPad Mini (original) which has the CPU/GPU/RAM specs of an iPad 2 and runs like shit.

Why take the negative view? The Mini 2 is now really nicely priced. Still has retina screen, A7 64 bit processor.

Looks like iPhone 5c all over again...

P.S. Nexus 9 is looking like a beast of a tablet. In Geekbench single threaded, it annihilates iPad Mini 2+3 (1384), and even blows iPhone 6(1610) out of the water with a score of 1903.... may end up being the FIRST tablet to actually be as fast as Apple's offering.

Why take the negative view? The Mini 2 is now really nicely priced. Still has retina screen, A7 64 bit processor.

Exactly... that is the ONLY good thing I can see from this release. They made the iPad Mini 2 a VERY compelling buy.

P.S. Nexus 9 is looking like a beast of a tablet. In Geekbench single threaded, it annihilates iPad Mini 2+3 (1384), and even blows iPhone 6(1610) out of the water with a score of 1903.... may end up being the FIRST tablet to actually be as fast as Apple's offering.

Actually I think the Nexus 9 is pretty meh. Gone is the great Nexus pricing (its $400) and it's size is a miss, since you can't cradle it easily in one hand. It has lower resolution than the Nexus 10.

I wouldn't recommend a Nexus 9 even if you insisted on an Android tablet.

Unlike the Nexus 7 which was a home run, both in pricing/size/screen resolution.

The real sadness here is they are still selling the garbage iPad Mini (original) which has the CPU/GPU/RAM specs of an iPad 2 and runs like shit.
Having slow products like that in the lineup dilutes the brand, yeah. It's a bad long term move in my opinion.

The iPad Mini 2 sucks. Why hasn't it been recalled? The color reproduction is a total joke.

Well I think the 6 Plus has made the iPad Mini EOL, but not this year.
Apple still wants to squeeze more sells with Touch ID before it goes bye bye.

I have the Mini Retina. It's got a wonderful screen, and kick ass battery life. It's plenty fast enough for surfing and looking at email. I got it for an unbeatable price, to replace an original Nexus 7. I'd buy another Mini-Retina in a heartbeat if this one breaks. Definitely wouldn't pay $100 more for the new one.

Touch ID isn't worth $100 on an iPad. It's a convenience, not a necessity.

Didn't say Touch ID was worth the $100. I said you're minimizing the feature. There is a difference between these two positions.

I don't think it's been out long enough to prove that yet....

Negative. Samsung has directly blamed "competition from other smartphone vendors" (read: Apple) when giving its awful Q3 investor guidance. Sales fell 60% YOY in Q3, when the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus came out.

Apple is the only other smartphone vendor that makes a profit, though after Samsung's last couple of quarters, we can probably say they're the only smartphone vendor that makes a profit.

It's delicious irony that an Apple copier is beating Samsung in China.

Negative. Samsung has directly blamed "competition from other smartphone vendors" (read: Apple) when giving its awful Q3 investor guidance. Sales fell 60% YOY in Q3, when the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus came out.

Apple may be the smallest part of it. Earning were announced when the iP6 came out, but that had nothing to do with the low earnings. Samsung is being squeezed on the low end by Chinese cloners, on the upper end by top tier Android players and Apple. With iP6 Apple will, finally, more directly compete with Samsungs bigger phones, doing even more damage.

Apple may be the smallest part of it. Earning were announced when the iP6 came out, but that had nothing to do with the low earnings. Samsung is being squeezed on the low end by Chinese cloners, on the upper end by top tier Android players and Apple. With iP6 Apple will, finally, more directly compete with Samsungs bigger phones, doing even more damage.

You're discounting the influence of large phone rumors persisting for months, and the predictability of Apple annually updating the iPhone at roughly the same time every year.

You're discounting the influence of large phone rumors persisting for months, and the predictability of Apple annually updating the iPhone at roughly the same time every year.

Yes... because all the average Joe's on the street that buy iPhone's KNEW that Apple was bringing out a larger iPhone for the last 3 months (the 3 months prior to their last earnings report at least) so they didn't buy a Samsung device!!

Yes... Samsung lost BILLIONS to Apple's iPhone 6 even though it hadn't even been released until like 2 weeks before their earnings report.

I'm not an economist but even "I" know that is SUPER far-fetched dude.

Those who've purchased the new models so far are not the "Average Joes": they are the relatively early adopters. Large numbers of them pay attention to rumors and understand Apple's timelines.

Apple rumor sites are more heavily trafficked than you think.

Those who've purchased the new models so far are not the "Average Joes": they are the relatively early adopters. Large numbers of them pay attention to rumors and understand Apple's timelines.

Apple rumor sites are more heavily trafficked than you think.

So all these "early adopters" you talk about were going to buy a Samsung phone and decided against it?? I have a hard time believing that. Yes... maybe 10-15% of them (or some other miniscule amount). All the iPhone 6 users I know are ALL loyal Apple fans that have been running iPhones for many iterations. They had NO intention of EVER buying a Samsung phone.

So all these "early adopters" you talk about were going to buy a Samsung phone and decided against it??
Did I say that? No, I did not. Address points I made, not those I did not make.

All the iPhone 6 users I know are ALL loyal Apple fans that have been running iPhones for many iterations. They had NO intention of EVER buying a Samsung phone.
Anecdotal evidence from one individual is rather useless when we're talking about 21 million units sold.

Did I say that? No, I did not. Address points I made, not those I did not make.

If that isn't what you meant, then why did you jump into the middle of a conversation between me and Terpfan that was discussing that exact thing?? What were you trying to prove with your comment then??

Except, it's not. Apple's own sales fall in the summer because people know the fall will bring product refreshes. One big reason Apple tries so hard to clamp down on product leaks is to prevent that effect.

This happens whether you care to believe it or not.

I wasn't trying to "prove" anything. I appreciate, however, that you're now asking questions relevant to things I've said and that I can answer directly.

Baby steps and so forth.

Yes... because all the average Joe's on the street that buy iPhone's KNEW that Apple was bringing out a larger iPhone for the last 3 months (the 3 months prior to their last earnings report at least) so they didn't buy a Samsung device!!

Yes... Samsung lost BILLIONS to Apple's iPhone 6 even though it hadn't even been released until like 2 weeks before their earnings report.

Even mainstream websites and publications were running the Apple big phone stories for months and months. It certainly wasn't limited to just Mac forums.

Except, it's not. Apple's own sales fall in the summer because people know the fall will bring product refreshes. One big reason Apple tries so hard to clamp down on product leaks is to prevent that effect.

This happens whether you care to believe it or not.

Oh I don't disagree there... it's common knowledge that Apple users wait until the new one comes out to buy it. Why would I buy a 5s in August when the 6 will be out in September. (especially if I already own a 5s).... however what YOU said is that Samsung's sales in the last three 3 months dropped 60%!!!!!! because people knew that the iPhone 6 and 6 plus were coming out. That my friend is ridiculous.

I wasn't trying to "prove" anything. I appreciate, however, that you're now asking questions relevant to things I've said and that I can answer directly.

Baby steps and so forth.

If you weren't trying to prove "anything" as you say, then why did you jump into the middle of a discussion, say things that were relevant to the discussion THEN (when called out on it) turn around and pretend what you said had absolutely nothing to do with it? You confuse me son...

Doubt it. I don't see people walking around with iPad Minis. So far, the iPhone 6 Plus is cannibalizing Samsung's bottom line.

A general user will either go for iPad air or iPhone 6 plus. People who want to avoid using iPad mini usually are inclining towards iPhone 6 plus, so that they can enjoy the look and feel of a tablet in a small device.

Back