Which Surface Pro 3 model for me?

Gookitron

Limp Gawd
Hey folks,

I took advantage of the Microsoft Store sale this weekend to get a Surface Pro 3. The purchase was more-or-less an impulse buy. I had all Sunday to get to thinking and now I'm at an impasse on which CPU variant and RAM I'll need.

I currently have the Surface RT gen1. I love the detachable keyboard feature and thin formfactor. I mainly use the tablet as a thin and light mobile PC repair station when at friends and family. I do document editing (side by side). Down time is used for browsing the web (general research and reading) and movie streaming. But the RT constantly freeze and lags (have gone through 2 refreshes and no help). I can only find Pro2 as refurb, and I don't want to do refurb because I've been burned before.

In addition to current use, I envision the need to occasionally touch up pictures (photoshop elements) and I might start using Steam (and in home streaming). Nothing too big, Borderlands2, dota2, starcraft2, etc..

The question: should I stick with the i3 variant or exhange for the i5/128. Or splurge for the i5/256? I don't do anything that would warrant an i7... Besides I can't afford it.

I think you'll be good with the i3 model for what you're describing here with the possible exception of storage. But I the the i5/128 GB would be the most you'd need. You can put up to 128GB microSD card in it for data and leave the internal drive for only programs.

If you can afford it jump up to a model with 8GB DRAM starting with i5/8GB/256GB option. I don't see it anymore but Microsoft had a pretty good offer recently with 10% off edu discount, $100 gift card you can use towards the Type Cover and free sleeve so it comes out to about $1187 before tax for the i5/8GB/256GB.

Thanks for the input guys.

Yea I got the holiday promo with the 100 gift card and sleeve (plus student discount).

I got the wife to go along with the upgrade to the i5/4GB... I don't know if I can convince her for the need of stepping up to the 8GB variant, especially based on my usage scenario... More memory is better, but I don't need that much storage space :D

I'll be heading back in for an exchange after the holidays...

I think you'll be fine, just obviously can't multi-task as much. Overall it's a cool device and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Hope the in-home streaming works for gaming, never thought of using this device for that feature.

If you aren't going to go all the way to the 8GB RAM I don't see the middle of the road upgrade being all that worthwhile. The increase in storage is middling at best, and easily worked around with the use of microSD cards. The processor speed bump is also minimal, especially for your workload. Really in my opinion the RAM is the only reason to upgrade. I think if you aren't going to the 8GB version, stick with the i3 you currently have and save your 200$.

I've had the i7 version of the SP3, but moved down to the i3 version. I'm actually surprised by how well it runs the type of games you describe. My only caveat is that the micro SD card seems to dismount on me when the machine is gaming, if the game is installed on the SD card. Only happens while gaming and while the system is hot, never during file transfers etc. My SP2 did this as well, and it occurs on multiple brands of SD cards, so I'm thinking its either bad luck on my part, or there is some bug where the machine dismounts the SD card when in heavy use/hot.

The only reason I mention this is if you think you might save on storage space by running games off of a micro SD, I'd at least TRY it first before skipping a model with higher storage capacity.

I'll test out the SD card for games storage. It would suck for it to be a common issue. What happens to gameplay when the card disappears?

I'm actually more concerned with running out of space from installing too many apps from the windows store. I didn't look too hard, but is there a way to install those apps to the SD card? I actually ran out of space on my RT tablet and that really killed performance. (Yes there are ways to free up a few GBs, but that's just delaying the inevitable).

Not trying to get off topic or thread crap or anything of the sort.

However, my previous IT position we provided Dr's with Surface Pro 3's. i5-i7's
For every 4 we ordered, 1 would over heat and die.

Also, another thing to consider is that their are magnets on the Surface. We had a Dr who put the surface down on his desk and it some how picked up a staple or 2 and sucked into the fan causing it to die.

Aside from all of that, they preform amazing. I would enjoy getting the next gen Surface when it comes out. I have tried the i3 flavor and it was just as impressive with basic web surfing and Youtube'ing.

Remember to check your local Craigslist. Going to pick up a new sealed Surface Pro 3 i5/8GB/256GB with date code 1448 for $900. Also see a new sealed i7/8GB/256GB for $1125.

I'll test out the SD card for games storage. It would suck for it to be a common issue. What happens to gameplay when the card disappears?

Usually just insta-closes with a Windows error saying the executable stopped working.

Back