Rackmounting Supermicro SC747TQ-1400B

I have a supermicro SC747TQ-1400B chassis that I'm in the process of rackmounting into the startech 4POSTRACK12A 12U server rack. The manual shows these several pages on the process of doing it.

However, does the outer rail go on the rack first before mount the server or does it go on after or in other words does it go on the inner rail before mounting on the rack. I'm think it goes on the rack first because one would have one hell of a time mounting the outer rails with the server attached to the inner rails, but could someone clarify this. Also do I need to stablize the weight of the rack for the Startech 4POSTRACK12A server rack, so when I pull out the server on it drawer like rails so that it won't tip over the rack because I spoke to Startech about this over the phone and they told me no, since they don't make stabilizers. I know the heaviest items go on the bottom especially after reading the manual for the SC747TQ-1400B chassis, so don't worry about that just help clarify the answers two my other two questions. One more thing which end does the front of the server go in the startech 4POSTRACK12A server rack?

The startech 4POSTRACK12A server rack can be seen below.

Last edited:
Nevermind I guess my dad and I figured it out. The best way to mount it is by mounting the outer rails to the rack first, mounting the inner rails to the chassis, then with two people lifting the chassis lining up the the rails and pushing the chassis on the rails until the inner rails locks latch and unlatch as soon as the middle rails are in all the way allowing the inner rails locks to unlatch. One thing though either the top end of the middle outer rail was bent or the inner rail notches were catching on something on the outer middle rail. We filed them with a metal file and it helped, but either that was a mechanlcal blunder or it shouldn't have mattered. Either way I'm going to let Supermicro know, since they designed these rails. We used the MCP-290-00059-0B (26.5" - 36.4") rails for this mount.

Last edited:
Back