Mechanical keyboard for Mac?

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
What are good mechanical keyboards for a Mac?

I'd like to find a 104-key keyboard with arrows and editing keys. Tactile feel is great, but something too loud won't be great because of a dense cubicle environment.

The DAS Model S for the Mac looks pretty good, but it seems a bit noisy. Any currently available alternatives?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Won't pretty much any USB keyboard work with a Mac?

They are usually just USB Human Interface Devices, which use a standard driver.

Zarathustra[H];1041215495 said:
Yes, but I want the fn, control, option, and command keys in the right spots.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, but I want the fn, control, option, and command keys in the right spots.

I don't do much mac:ing, so I don't know where the keys are supposed to be, but look at the Unicomp Spacesaver M above, it does have mac keys. not sure about location though.

Absolutely delicious to type on, but again, you mentioned low noise tolerance, so it may or may not be too loud for you.

My vote would be on DAS as well. Curious to find out if 4 Pro will be mac compatible as well.

I ended up with a Matias Quiet Touch. First one I got was bad -- "O" key didn't work or bounced -- but the replacement was easy. Quiet enough, I like the feel, and the key-cap lettering is great.

It's remarkable to me how bad the Mac OS is, though. Every application treats the "end" and "home" keys differently, and requires setting changes to behave in a sensible way. "PgUp" and "PgDown", too.

Razor makes (or made, at least) a Mac version of their BlackWidow keyboard.

I've had it for some time and enjoy it very much!

Zarathustra[H];1041215495 said:

They are usually just USB Human Interface Devices, which use a standard driver.

Yes and no...

IIRC, everything about a normal keyboard will work on a Mac except special function keys like the command key. Its been a while, so I don't remember if that key was re-mapped to the windows key, alt key or any other key.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with more info.

Windows keyboards have CTRL, ALT, and Windows.

Mac keyboards have control, option, and command. Some have an "fn" modifier key, too, since the F1..F12 keys have dedicated multi-media duties. Large Mac keyboards have more numbered function keys; F13...F18 on the Matias I have, for example.

I'd have to recommend the CODE Keyboard by WASD. There's no driver required nor any support software needed. I have the 10-key variant but the non-10key variant is just as good. Really great tactile feedback, especially when coding (hence the name and purpose of the variant). It's also relatively responsive in games for what it's worth (I have the MX clear switches).

Back