rumor: GTX 980 (8GB) coming in November

Sooner than I expected, if true. I was assuming the 8GB variants would be tagging along with the Ti variants next year.

Interesting to see if the 970's will follow too. If they do and are not price gouged to the moon, i'll bite.

This is what I've been holding out for, praying they release 970 8gb. Been looking to upgrade my surround setup. time to offload my 780 and 690 soon.

1 part interesting 3 parts Meh... waiting for GM200 I think. The 980 is a little disappointing for my 1440p 120Hz needs.

EVGA allowed 780 3GB to 780 6GB step ups right? I think they did.

780/780 Ti 8GB cards? WHERE!? I would love to see this unicorn. Then on the other hand 8GB is excessive on a card that will crap out long before it's useful.

Disagree completely -- my surround setup pegs 4GB all the time.

Do not speak for all.

The 980 is a little disappointing for my 1440p 120Hz needs.

Fair enough, but what other choices are available right now for 1440p @ 120Hz/144Hz gaming besides dual TitanZ's? :p

I'm waiting for Maxwell 3.0 20nm/16nm (whichever it's going to be) GM200 reviews and pricing info to crop up, myself. Although I think I'm going to be just fine with SLI 780 for 1080p @ 144Hz gaming until the architectures after Maxwell 3.0 and Pirate Islands emerge.

780/780 Ti 8GB cards? WHERE!? I would love to see this unicorn. Then on the other hand 8GB is excessive on a card that will crap out long before it's useful.

He stated (and you quoted) 780 6GB. :)

yup...it'll be interesting to see the price wars on these 8GB cards...who'll blink first and offer competitive pricing

I will guess that AMD will have the lower priced 8GB offering. GTX 980 is roughly 20% faster at 1440p in most comparisons, and that will allow it to keep it's higher market demand, thus higher pricing.

WCCFTech... so take with a heaping bowl of salt.

I actually wouldn't expect 8GB cards until after GM200 hit next spring, so maybe summer '15. If GM200 is a TITAN-successor, one of the primary reasons people bought Kepler TITANs was the larger amount of VRAM, so I wouldn't think NVIDIA as an OEM would want sales taken away from it.

That being said, the recent string of releases with high VRAM requirements may have compelled NVIDIA to release 8GB cards by way of the Christmas season. I know a lot of people just here on these forums who have been waiting for an 8GB version to bite on a Maxwell card, so there is probably a significant enough of demand for it to make business sense and be released to the market.

I'm debating whether to buy a GTX 980 4gb now or wait for this rumored 8gb.

I play at 1440p/60Hz and my single 7970 is getting long in the tooth at this resolution

Interesting. I might step up via EVGA step up but I have a feeling I may regret it. 390X is right around the corner and so is new cards from Nvidia once that happens. At my current resolution and planned new resolution after Christmas time 2560x1440 for Synced Refresh gaming I think 4GB should suffice for what I do most of the time.

WCCFTech... so take with a heaping bowl of salt.

I actually wouldn't expect 8GB cards until after GM200 hit next spring, so maybe summer '15. If GM200 is a TITAN-successor, one of the primary reasons people bought Kepler TITANs was the larger amount of VRAM, so I wouldn't think NVIDIA as an OEM would want sales taken away from it.

That being said, the recent string of releases with high VRAM requirements may have compelled NVIDIA to release 8GB cards by way of the Christmas season. I know a lot of people just here on these forums who have been waiting for an 8GB version to bite on a Maxwell card, so there is probably a significant enough of demand for it to make business sense and be released to the market.

You do know there is a 780 6gb for $550 new that was released I think nov last year right?

You do know there is a 780 6gb for $550 new that was released I think nov last year right?

I believe it was just this past May that they were released. Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

Disagree completely -- my surround setup pegs 4GB all the time.

Do not speak for all.

Just wondering what games you are playing where 4gb has been an issue?
I have triple 1440 and haven't run into any games where 4gb caused issues.

Really? I've had several. Even COD ghost pegs 4gig. Crysis 3 and metro 2033, as well as metro last night. Don't think Diablo 3 does, haven't checked a couple others since I got them.

I thought Nvidia couldn't do 8GB with the 900 series because of the 256-bit bus...thought it had to be 6GB

I thought Nvidia couldn't do 8GB with the 900 series because of the 256-bit bus...thought it had to be 6GB
I am surprised after 10 years you would not know this stuff as you have that backwards. 8 is perfectly fine on 256 bit bus but 6 would require mixed memory sizes which they would never do on higher end cards.

256 bit can have 256mb, 512mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, 8gb and so on...
384 bit can have 384mb, 768mb, 1.5gb, 3gb, 6gb and so on...

They could put 128GB VRAM on it if they wanted to (assuming the GPU can address that much physical VRAM). Doesn't mean it will ever use that much in it's usable lifespan...even a quad-SLI 980 config will run out of processing power long before it could even max out that much VRAM. I will be surprised if 8GB turns out to be a limiting factor for the performance capability of the 28nm 980 before it's performance becomes obsolete after a couple/few years from now. 20nm/16nm Maxwell 3.0 likely might and Pascal likely will have enough processing fortitude to provide an actual need for 8GB or more VRAM.

Do we really have to go through the same arguments EVERY time more vram becomes available? Using 8gb is not the point as its going over 4gb that will make this card useful. And people running surround or 4k can easily run settings on 980 SLI setups that will use right at 4gb if not more in few games today especially with mods. And games are only going to need more and more vram in the future. The running out of horsepower argument does not always hold water as high res textures need little to no more actual processing power but do need more vram.

This guy knows what he is talking about. My setup needs more VRAM -- love the cards otherwise.

Looking forward to this release.

Wasn't it already previously stated when the 970 and 980 came out that 8gb versions would be on their way in Nov/Dec? I feel like I read that somewhere.

Just hope the pricing isn't through the roof. D:

Old news we knew November was the timeframe for 8gb weeks and weeks before Gtx 900 cards launched :).

so tell us swami exactly when the 20nm cards are coming out

Sure Smartass, I'll take this one! Nvidia March 17-20 GPU conference! What better place to launch you new 20nm products! http://www.gputechconf.com/ And that;s why the limited 900 series launch now.

And thats after the supposed launch of Radeon 390X in Febuary which makes all the sense in the world with massive cuts in price and trying to move inventory fast.

And if you google 20nm gpu progress you would see the actual non-finfet designs@20nm have been ready to go since last April. So it makes sense they can produce 20nm products now for that time frame of launch while TSMC gets the 16nm finfet ready for the next gen after 20nm.
:cool:

Do we really have to go through the same arguments EVERY time more vram becomes available? Using 8gb is not the point as its going over 4gb that will make this card useful. And people running surround or 4k can easily run settings on 980 SLI setups that will use right at 4gb if not more in few games today especially with mods. And games are only going to need more and more vram in the future. The running out of horsepower argument does not always hold water as high res textures need little to no more actual processing power but do need more vram.

Spot on.

Just to throw one data point in: Watch Dogs at 1080p already eats up 3.5GB of vram. Mostly because of shitty optimization yes but there's no denying vram requirements have been ballooning for quite a while now. This is most probably due to the consolde-first dev cycle, and the unified memory used in these "next gen" (lol) consoles means devs have become a lot more sloppy when porting to PC. (Devs don't seem to realize PCs DO NOT HAVE UNIFIED MEMORY)

I don't see this trend stopping anytime soon so might as well double up on vram for "futureproofing" because lazy incompetent devs and shitty optimization.

I don't see this trend stopping anytime soon so might as well double up on vram for "futureproofing" because lazy incompetent devs and shitty optimization.

Doesn't even have to be laziness or incompetence- with the new consoles actually having some RAM, it now makes sense for developers to flesh out assets during development, and it makes sense to start delivering those assets in their ports.

So I'm at the point that my next GPU upgrade will be:

1. 8GB+ VRAM (so 12GB in case of 384bit memory controller)
2. DX12 support
3. Some form of Adaptive V-Sync support

Which would be paired with some form of ~4k IPS panel, also with Adaptive V-Sync support. LG's 21:9 panels definitely look interesting here.

yeah I don't see why people and experts keep saying that 4GB VRAM is more then enough and that more is only needed for 4K gaming when games like Shadow of Mordor uses 3.7GB (Ultra with HD Texture Pack) and Watch Dogs (Ultra) uses 3.5GB...this is just the beginning of the next-gen cycle so I'm sure games will be using 4GB+ VRAM in 2015 (The Division, Witcher 3) whether it be through bad optimization or not

Back