UPS install

Looks like it expects to be hardwired with the box in the upper right you mention.

I would say yes you certainly need an electrician for the amount of current this is rated.

Unless you know that has good batteries in it, it may not be worth any effort to get it working.

I got a few 4U UPS units for nothing and only one worked, only to end up dead less than a year later when multiple batteries failed. Then I had a shit ton of batteries to recycle.

If you're not comfortable running a 220V line from your circuit box to it, then yeah you'll need an electrician if you want to get that up and running. Looks like a standard two hot, one neutral and ground. You'll need a serious breaker (50A or 100A, depending on your load you're going to put on it) to power that tho.

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/ASTE-6Z8LSA/ASTE-6Z8LSA_R0_EN.pdf?sdirect=true

As said above, it's probably not worth it. Unless you're powering some seriously hungry gear and can justify the installation cost, probably better off with some 1500/3000Va units which should only need standard 15A/120V or 30A/220 outlets which are much more manageable.

Last edited:
Did you pick this up off craigslist or the likes for your home? If so, good luck getting that hooked up. It's an APC Symmetra LX, which means you need 2 phase 208V. If this is a business purchase, you should yell at whoever sold it to you and call an electrician. It needs to be hard wired since it's 16kVA.

I got this used at auction. It is for my home.

I am not at all worried if it works or not, replacement modules are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

Yeah...you're going to have a lot of fun with that. It's probably going to cost thousands to install that if your utility company will even accommodate that much. You're not going to be able to run your house off that either.

Thats is sooooo like me :(

And im thinking that i did an overkill when i bought a 3000RM3U.

You will need to make a little adjustment to your house eletrical wiring, may even have to contact the local utility company, dependending the quantity of load lines in your residence.

I'm no electrician, but I think a lot/all of it comes down to how many amps you plan on drawing. If you plan on utilising that thing as a most/whole home battery backup in an outage situation where you have some pretty serious capacity on standby then I don't think that's a bad purchase. It just depends what you wanna do.

I just got done testing a set of three 12v 35ah AGM batteries on a surplus rackmount UPS I just picked up for 75$ and that should allow for some serious battery backup power for my server.

You may know where to source modules but are there electronics in the chassis itself? You may want to test it out before going further. Is your clothes dryer 220/240v? You can temporarily wire it there (for test), but you must complptely pull 3 modules out of the chassis before doing so b/c a dryer is usually 30 amps on this voltage. If you can't picture how this would work in your head without googling don't do it. Get someone who has done it safely before to help you or don't do it at all.

If you want to have this UPS your whole house, ask an electrician about having this power a new breaker box that feeds house circuits you want to be up all the time. Look at the NEC for Standby Power. APC also has a partial writeup.

http://static.schneider-electric.us/assets/consultingengineer/appguidedocs/section10_0307.pdf

You may want to get surge protection for the unit too. Take a look at the Emerald Book.

http://www2.elo.utfsm.cl/~ipd411/archivos/apuntes/Std 1100-2005_Part1.pdf

That looks fun! Be careful.

Back