ps4 ssd differences

wadec22

2[H]4U
question for the ssd gurus. i've been running a ssd in my ps4 since launch. i've been using the Crucial m4 512gb and it has filled up pretty good. so i jumped on the mushkin reactor 1tb ssd deal.

anyway, installing both fallout 4 and battlefront today on the new 1tb drive was noticeably slower than on the m4 512gb. checking every review and benchmark i can find, the mushkin should be faster, even if just academically. real world performance i expected to remain about the same. anyone have any ideas why this might be?

Did you copy the contents of the Crucial over to the Mushkin or do a clean install?

clean install. it doesn't seem to be an issue at all... everything else seems exactly the same. just those two games installing... odd since i figured the disc would keep either from separating itself anyway.

on another note for those that play a ton, you may want to lean towards mlc drives over tlc for your ps4 depending on how much you play. i know the ps4 share option keeps recorded footage on hand and that may be a factor. after two years of using a m4 drive, it has just over 17tb written to it. i believe the tech report write test had the tlc drive failing at 100tb of writes. i have two small boys and dont' get to game near as often as i'd like. i could see someone with a 1tb day one evo drive having a failure four years in..... just a minor observation. for the vast majority, tlc is nbd.

on another note for those that play a ton, you may want to lean towards mlc drives over tlc for your ps4 depending on how much you play. i know the ps4 share option keeps recorded footage on hand and that may be a factor. after two years of using a m4 drive, it has just over 17tb written to it. i believe the tech report write test had the tlc drive failing at 100tb of writes. i have two small boys and dont' get to game near as often as i'd like. i could see someone with a 1tb day one evo drive having a failure four years in..... just a minor observation. for the vast majority, tlc is nbd.

Read the article again. The Samsung 840 TLC SSD didn't fail until 900 TB of writes.

A Samsung 850 Pro has endured 7,000 TB of writes. While I can't find a similar test for the 850 EVO, it is very credible that the 40nm process 850 EVO should last much, much longer than the 21nm process 840.

Read the article again. The Samsung 840 TLC SSD didn't fail until 900 TB of writes.

A Samsung 850 Pro has endured 7,000 TB of writes. While I can't find a similar test for the 850 EVO, it is very credible that the 40nm process 850 EVO should last much, much longer than the 21nm process 840.

you are right. it started reallocating sectors at 100tb, which is why i had the number in my head. that may not bother some, or even most, but it was their first sign of drives showing degradation. i still wouldn't use one in a ps4 console. like i said, i have two kids under two and still had over 17tb written to the drive. i can't imagine what a hardcore younger gamer (thinking me in high school) would be at.

like i said, probably not an issue for most, but worth mentioning.

Back