Maximus VIII Gene U.2 support

jinino

n00b
Hi,

I am considering this mATX board but wondering whether it supports Intel 750 SSD. Does anyone have this board with Asus's M.2 to U.2 adapters and make Intel 750 400GB SSD bootable?

Thanks for any input

Hi,

I am considering this mATX board but wondering whether it supports Intel 750 SSD. Does anyone have this board with Asus's M.2 to U.2 adapters and make Intel 750 400GB SSD bootable?

Thanks for any input

See this review for the board;

"Beware: M.2 (Hyper Kit) + Graphics Card = does not fit"
"Cons: In order to use an Intel 750 series SSD, an optional Hyper Kit must be installed. Unfortunately, the kit itself is large enough to block a graphics card's heat sink."

http://tinyurl.com/prktm7n

I plan to use onboard video. Any other issue I should be aware of?

Thanks

Update to latest UEFI and you should be fine for your particular usage scenario. Make sure you buy the Asus adapter, options from other brands are not guaranteed to work.

Asus is supposedly working on a flexible U.2 (ribbon) but I haven't seen this anywhere as of yet.

IF one were to use a video card, their options would be:

1) U.2 adapter + 1st PCI-E slot + single slot card (aftermarket watercooled R9 Nano, Fury X, 980 Ti Kingpin, etc, low end single slot aircooled cards, etc).

2) PCI-E Intel 750 SSD in the 4x slot, which is a PCI-E 3.0 x4 slot routed to the chipset.

3) PCI-E to SFF-8349 adapter bought here, to be used in the 4x slot preferably. Please note you will still need to connect external power via molex, as this card does not pull power from the PCI-E slot.

4) U.2 adapter + use the GPU in 2nd PCI-E 16x slot, however please note it will run at 8x speed

I have this board and will be using option #3 most likely, as the 1.2TB 2.5" is typically cheaper than the PCI-E where I live, and will provide greater flexibility in general.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back