Modern Beowulf cluster build...

pwrusr

2[H]4U
Recently I happened across 26 sticks of 4GB ddr3, 12 i5 2400 CPUs and a single i7 2600 from decommissioned computers (all motherboards or power supplies were bad in them).

Basically all I'd need is a lot of LGA 1155 motherboards and power supplies to get them up and running.

I would likely sell or donate most of the computers after I'm done learning Beowulf and keep a few as servers or something useful. so to me it seems like it will be worth my time to learn :D

My goals for the build itself?
-Find decent motherboards that I wouldn't mind keeping for myself. I don't want bottom of the barrel boards, but at the same time I don't want to spend a ton on them.
-Find a sub $50 case for each of them (or no case if I can figure out a way to mount the boards safely together).
-Good power supplies that don't break the bank.

Goals for the uses?
-discover how to build a Beowulf cluster, DUH!
-folding nodes?
-Likely boot off the network from a "master server" I may set aside one of the i5s for this. I also have a couple of older ITX computers one with a AMD integrated APU and the other with a atom.
-VM cluster?
-suggestions that don't involve anything illegal??

When it's broken down I'll be keeping 1-3 of them for some uses... NAS, file server, VM server, epic router? And more uses that I can't think of at the moment.

First things first however... I gotta make sure that the CPUs & RAM work before I really get to business :eek:

I'm open to any suggestions...

Last edited:
If you plan to sell those i5 2400 CPUs let me know. I got a F@H farm I need to add to and 2400 CPUs match perfectly with two GTX 970s.

Just ordered a couple ASUS P8Z77-V Pro off eBay. Church needs a couple new PCs to replace some older C2D PCs. Since they are already in full ATX cases I figured this can't hurt. One of my favorite 1155 boards too :D

That's 2 CPUs and 4 ram sticks clamed :cool:

Going to see what else I can find for motherboards. Looking for ITX or mATX boards.

Folding ! And kick cancers butt [H]ard
I like this idea :D

If you plan to sell those i5 2400 CPUs let me know. I got a F@H farm I need to add to and 2400 CPUs match perfectly with two GTX 970s.
Will do! Gotta make sure all the CPUs work though since I have no idea what kind of abuse these things had in their former homes :eek:

Any update on this?
Yep!

Two i5 2400's and 8 sticks of ram now claimed (2x4GB & 2x2GB for each PC) by the new builds at church. Just got them buttoned up today.

More updates on the Beowulf:
I tested all the ram with mem test. It's all good with no errors.

Also tested all the CPU's. again all good! :cool:

Right now I'm looking for suggestions on decent power supplies that won't break the bank. I currently have a spare Corsair CX430 that I've been using to test the motherboards and ram with. I'm watching the local microcenter ads to see if any power supplies go on mad markdown. Hopefully black Friday nets a few really good deals either locally or online.

Also looking for some decent motherboard lots on ebay. I had one I was about to pull the trigger on but it sold just beforehand.:(

As for what's left? The main group on the right are all i5 2400s. The two on the left are 1x i7 2600 and a i3 2120
The ram count is 20x4GB sticks (enough for 10 PC's):

CPUs%20%26%20Ram.jpg

To anyone still following the thread...

It has begun!
Firstly I have decommissioned my HTPC and will be using that as etheir a file server, media server or VM test box. It had a i3 in it. I put the i7 in it. :D
before and after:
20160204_225631.jpg

20160204_225658.jpg

20160204_225718.jpg

Behold! :D
20160206_131905.jpg

I can hear you asking...
"So... what of the cluster build? why are you showing me your cute little cube server?"

Answer:
I found some good motherboards, HDDs, heatsinks and power supplies at a local microcenter...
20160206_200005.jpg

I'd like to do something to involve the members following along:
I need three cases...

must all be mATX or better
checking the local microcenter I found only one case that comes close to what I'm looking for and that's the spec01 by corsair.

I have some amazon gift cards that I wouldn't mind tossing at the project
So let me know some good ideas on cases that aren't total crap!

Unfortunately the EVO 212 doesn't fit in the core 1100 case. :(
20160218_121255.jpg

The good news is that I had a nice HSF from a old HTPC that I dismantled, That works great in the rig!
20160218_133831.jpg

Another thing I'd like to point out is that the hard drive was touching the fan so I had to snip a corner off the fan to avoid excess case resonances from the hard drive:
20160218_132113.jpg

One of the motherboards that I bought "open box" and "certified" had bent pins and thermal goop in the socket. That I'm NOT happy about at all.:mad: So it's going back.
20160218_113425.jpg

Soooo... Here's the deal. Budget constraints are putting a bit of a damper on the build. I'm going to use the older HTPC as PC #1 and the one I just got done building for PC #2. They have similar specs (same CPU in each). So I should still be able to learn a bit about Beowulf clusters :)

The rest of the hardware is going back so I can get some cash back in my pocket :)

Soo... all is not lost afterall.
I jave a couple of lga 775 boards with c2d chips (exact specs elude me atm) one has 2gb the other has 4gb.

I'm going to include them in with the cluster as well to see if having slower computers hinders the cluster or not.

I'll just need to grab a couple of ATX cases and a El cheapo video card since they don't have built in video...

Back in high school Cisco Networking class '04, we built a 24 node Beowulf cluster. We downclocked some nodes, left some at stock, and did mild OC on others. Throughout the experiment and various clocks, we found the best results were yielded when every node was running at the same clocks.

Good thing is all the CPUs are going to likely be I5's

Sorry for leaving this thread pretty quiet... Life happens sometimes. Lack of job has put things on hold until I can find another job :(

Very brief overview: 8 years help desk working my way from level 1 to my last job as level 3. I'm trying to get into system administration or network administration. Just trying to ring in some certs to ensure the employers know I know what I'm doing :p

What OS/distribution are you using for the cluster? Years ago I put together a cluster using dual socket opterons (from circa 2005). Was fun, but laptops are faster than those buggers now. The cluster runs Rocks Linux.

I was considering something like a debian based linux.

Project still in a stall due to lack of funds :p

Back