Nexus M ( 2015 ) Smartphone

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
The new Nexus phone you wanted last year might launch in 2015
https://plus.google.com/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts/cf7ZgPNrH4x

Multiple rumors originating from China have claimed that Huawei might be one of the companies shortlisted by Google to make its 2015 Nexus smartphone. Others said that two smartphone makers will release new Nexus handsets this year, noting Huawei and LG as the possible candidates. A new report now indicates that for the first time ever, Google may indeed launch two Nexus smartphones this year, with LG likely making the Nexus phone many fans wanted to see released alongside Motorola’s Nexus 6.

That’s about to change this year, Android Police’s Artem Russakovskii wrote on Google+, saying that he can confirm, with help of a trusted source, that a 5.7-inch Huawei Nexus is indeed in the making.

“What’s more interesting, the source also mentioned a second Nexus phone this year – an LG, with a planned 5.2″ screen size,” he said. “If Google indeed rolls with both, it’d be the first time two Nexus phones came out in the same year – a strategy that makes a whole lot of sense to me as not everyone is into behemoths like a Nexus 6.”

Also at the upcoming Google I/O, they will preview the next Android OS = Android 5.2 'M', which will most likely be launching on the new Nexus phones this Fall.

Damn, I was hoping they would just make another 7" Nexus 7 phone. :p

Nexus 6 was just retarded. Pretty much ruled out 3/4 of the Nexus fan base and the general public due to the size.

I would have one right now on Verizon if it wasn't stupid huge. A Note sized phone is as large as I'll go, gotta draw the line somewhere.

Too late, I am incredibly happy with my OPO. I was so close to buying the N6 until the price nearly doubled.

Sounds good, I've been so happy with my LG Nexus 5 that I'm not planning on getting a new phone until I break it. Hopefully for them, lightning strikes twice.

My Nexus 5 has been awesome and I didn't plan on replacing it but if they update it and possibly improve the camera I'll be all over it like stink on a pig.

I'd be all over that if they make a phone like that. I'm well past tired of the carrier variants and all of the shenanigans that comes with those. Gimme a nexus phone for my next upgrade, updates from google that are relatively quick? Yes please.

If there was a 5.2-inch LG Nexus phone this year, I'd be happy... especially if it takes some hardware cues from the G4. The Nexus line is supposed to be a reference for Android, and the N6 (as good as it is in some ways) felt too much like a niche device.

If they keep the same inflated price, it won't matter.

$650 for a 6-inch phone with top-end specs (when the device was new, anyway) isn't inflated. There's a distinction between "overpriced" and "expensive," folks.

The real question is whether or not Google was wise to release a giant flagship instead of a mid-sized, good-but-not-great phone like the Nexus 5. To me, the 6 was too much of a niche device when the Nexus program is all about having a typical, reference-class device that's accessible to a large group of people.

If they keep the same inflated price, it won't matter.

$650 for a 6-inch phone with top-end specs (when the device was new, anyway) isn't inflated. There's a distinction between "overpriced" and "expensive," folks.

The real question is whether or not Google was wise to release a giant flagship instead of a mid-sized, good-but-not-great phone like the Nexus 5. To me, the 6 was too much of a niche device when the Nexus program is all about having a typical, reference-class device that's accessible to a large group of people.

It is accessible...and further Note-size class device sales have taken off. As seen with iPhone 6+ etc.

"Inflated" and "overpriced" and "expensive"...I guess Google gets held to a different standard than Samsung with their $1000 retail s6 devices. OMG Google HOW DARE YOU SELL A TOP END PHONE FOR $650! I'M GONNA BUY S6 INSTEAD BECAUSE N6 IS SO EXPENSIVE!

Derpty-Herp.

The Nexus 4/5 may be seen as an aberration, cheap high end pure Google phones, and perhaps not coincidentally, both made by LG.

Its fine for Google to make a high end phone priced accordingly, but there were too many issues, the launch was a total fiasco as usual, and if they want to push the Nexus as a retail alternative, they failed utterly, and I'm not sure it was their intention but all their talk was positioning it as such.

Most of the oem's are now converging on skins that are more or less pure Android, some like Motorola/Sony have very little on top. It doesn't make much sense to buy a Nexus if people have to wait months for availability etc. The geeks will always prefer a Nexus but not the genpop.

Because AMOLED is so great at not suffering burn-in due to static GUI elements like status bar icons and navbars.

Not.

My last 3 phones (including my current Note 4) were AMOLEDs and never suffered from these issues. Heck, my Galaxy S Captivate (which my Mom is still using) BARELY has any burn-in. These issues were all solved a long time ago, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I'm just going to chime In and say that I have a Galaxy S3 that has been running for years. It has no burn in, and OLED is awesome. It was the only reason I was considering the Note 4 over the LG G3... But I didn't like it enough to pay more than twice as much.

My Vita is also OLED.

My last 3 phones (including my current Note 4) were AMOLEDs and never suffered from these issues. Heck, my Galaxy S Captivate (which my Mom is still using) BARELY has any burn-in. These issues were all solved a long time ago, so I don't know what you're talking about.

They were solved so well you see AMOLED device owners still suffering it. You go to a store and it is burn in galore even on freshly released devices.

Yes. It is solved.

They were solved so well you see AMOLED device owners still suffering it. You go to a store and it is burn in galore even on freshly released devices.

Yes. It is solved.

Sorry, I've been to tons of stores to demo phones (that's how I come to my buying decision) and have yet to see this on newer phones. I still don't think you understand that I personally already own/owned these devices, so you're speaking in hypotheticals.

I personally am EXTREMELY OCD about screen quality. A single dead pixel grates at my nerves so badly that it pisses me off. I would not for a moment stand it if I got burn in from any of my AMOLED phones. And I don't. So still don't know what you're talking about.

Sorry, I've been to tons of stores to demo phones (that's how I come to my buying decision) and have yet to see this on newer phones. I still don't think you understand that I personally already own/owned these devices, so you're speaking in hypotheticals.

I personally am EXTREMELY OCD about screen quality. A single dead pixel grates at my nerves so badly that it pisses me off. I would not for a moment stand it if I got burn in from any of my AMOLED phones. And I don't. So still don't know what you're talking about.
LOL... Not wanting to get into this debate because there is a clear difference in a demo model with the screen always on with a static image than a phone in your pocket, but you talk about someone else talking hypotheticals??? And because something hasn't happened to you means it hasn't happened to anyone else...

I've seen plenty of burn ins in real life, but relatively few per capita. Store demos almost always have burn ins.

LOL... Not wanting to get into this debate because there is a clear difference in a demo model with the screen always on with a static image than a phone in your pocket, but you talk about someone else talking hypotheticals??? And because something hasn't happened to you means it hasn't happened to anyone else...

I never insinuated that it never happened to anyone else. However, his initial comment makes it sound like it's happening on a wide scale to EVERY AMOLED owner.

I've seen plenty of burn ins in real life, but relatively few per capita. Store demos almost always have burn ins.

This comment is much more accurate. I have seen it myself, but NOT of the phones of late. The most I've seen them with were with the S1 and S2. By the time Samsung came out with the Super AMOLED+, these issues were largely resolved.

I've seen many real-life GS5's and few note 4's with burn ins. And by many, it's probably over 6 and few = 2... But I'm a simple observer, not a census or pew ballot.

The GS6 would probably take a little more time, but some of the few GS6's at my nearby best buy already have burn-ins. I suppose they probably leave the screen on at nights.

P. S. I should probably mention that I have more friends/acquaintances with Notes than S's.

Last edited:
The Nexus 4/5 may be seen as an aberration, cheap high end pure Google phones, and perhaps not coincidentally, both made by LG.

Its fine for Google to make a high end phone priced accordingly, but there were too many issues, the launch was a total fiasco as usual, and if they want to push the Nexus as a retail alternative, they failed utterly, and I'm not sure it was their intention but all their talk was positioning it as such.

Most of the oem's are now converging on skins that are more or less pure Android, some like Motorola/Sony have very little on top. It doesn't make much sense to buy a Nexus if people have to wait months for availability etc. The geeks will always prefer a Nexus but not the genpop.

Precisely. People forget that the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus were all priced the same as any other phone at the time. It was only the Nexus 4/5 that were priced significantly lower than other phones. So right now the Nexus line has seen 4 high priced phones and 2 cheaper phones. The outlier here is the cheaper phones.

Precisely. People forget that the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus were all priced the same as any other phone at the time. It was only the Nexus 4/5 that were priced significantly lower than other phones. So right now the Nexus line has seen 4 high priced phones and 2 cheaper phones. The outlier here is the cheaper phones.

Exactly. I've never understood why people keep thinking the Nexus phones are supposed to be all like OnePlus One's, flagship specs at bargain cheap prices. They are not.

I have owned five of the six Nexus phones over the years ( Not the Nexus 5 due to the tiny useless battery they put in there ) I recall ordering the Nexus-One from Google, and it was like $525 or so ? The next year I waited in line at Best Buy Mobile, the day the Nexus-S released in December of 2010 I think ? I paid like $550 or so then. I bought the Galaxy Nexus the first month of release and it was at current flagship pricing, like $600 or more ?

My Wife and I both own Nexus 6's, but these were the first Nexus phones I ever used my ATT contract upgrade on. And we both LOVE this phone. Very nice AMOLED display once dialed in with Kernel settings. Battery life is pretty good too now on 5.1.1 = 5.5h to 6h SOT. And the size becomes comfortably normal after a couple weeks of use.

I would pay $999 for the following LG Nexus DreamPhone.

• Pure Google Experience
  • 5.1" 1080p IPS Quantum Display
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 820
  • 3GB RAM
  • 64GB Internal Storage
  • Same camera and software as the camera in the G4, color spectrometer and all.
  • 4 UltraPixel Front Facing Camera
  • 3300 mAh battery minimum
  • Front Facing Stereo Speakers

Snapdragon 808 at 1080p would also more than suffice but by the time it comes out, it should be using the SD820 (thanks for the reminder folks). 3GB of RAM seems to be the flagship standard now, and obviously 4 will be better; only those new Intel phones seems to be getting 4GB of RAM. I wonder if LG just make a single model of the Nexus with standard 64GB, no 32 or 128, would that be cheaper? I don't care about microSD card if the internal storage is 64GB. Front facing camera of the G4 seems to be its weakness, so I'll take HTC's front facing camera... I don't care if the phone would be thicker or if the battery cannot be swapped out if it's got a 3300 mAh battery with a 1080p Quantum display; but if not removable, just make it as easy to replace as in the Nexus 5.

And obviously the front facing stereo speakers would just make my decision SO much easier. If the G4 had front facing stereo, just shut up and take my money LG. I don't even really need that Pure Google Experience, cause I can deal with LG's UX.

Last edited:

*Snip*

I wouldn't pay that much for something with an 808 in it, but by the time the next Nexus phone will be out, the next gen Qualcomm SoCs should be available, so it should be the 820 by then, I'd think. Even so, I read that Qualcomm has made a new revision of the 810 that seems to be performing much better even in terms of temps/throttling. So I would still take that or even the current 810 over the 808, I think, if just for the faster GPU even after throttling.

It's quite possible that the next Nexus phone will indeed have front facing speakers even if it's by LG since Google dictates design more than the OEM on Nexus devices and the current Nexus 6 and 9 have them. I too hope that they keep them since I have grown quite accustomed to them on my M8 and am not sure I can consider a replacement for it without them.

What I would like to see in this Nexus M phone, even though it's most likely none of these will happen:
- 64-bit chip
- 5-inch IPS+ 1080p screen (don't make the screen physically bigger, don't put in a higher resolution)
- 4gb RAM
- 64gb internal option OR 16gb + card slot
- better camera
- bigger battery
- two front-facing speakers

• Pure Google Experience
  • 5.1" 1080p IPS Quantum Display
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 808
  • 3GB RAM
  • 64GB Internal Storage
  • Same camera and software as the camera in the G4, color spectrometer and all.
  • 4 UltraPixel Front Facing Camera
  • 3300 mAh battery minimum
  • Front Facing Stereo Speakers

Ha, these are totally my ideal phone. 1080 screen is all that is needed IMHO, plus it saves battery. Less than 999 would be nice, but if they really delivered on everything, I could be persuaded.

Funny enough, its pretty close to the Sony Z3/Z4, minus a pure experience and the camera can be debate. End of last year the Z3 was almost my next. A previous burn by Sony though has left me gunshy of their products, so I passed, but I really liked the direction of large battery and 1080 screen with removable storage.

Rumor of LG doing the N5-2015 is pretty intriguing. Would like to see what they came up with, especially after seeing what they are doing with the G4. That being said, a reconfigured G4 (speaker locations, screen dpi, etc) could make a very tempting phone.

Good points about the SD820, folks. Forgot that time flies... I just want it NOW!!!

Two Nexus phones in 2015, but no Nexus tablet according to rumor
http://www.androidauthority.com/two-nexus-phones-2015-no-nexus-tablet-611222/

These rumors sound fairly plausible, we have already heard that Huawei is building a Nexus phone, a 5.7-inch monster with code name Bullhead. I’ll leave you with the previous coverage for more details, but we expect to see the device later in the fall with the Snapdragon 810 SoC and a nice big 3,500mAh battery.

The new phone rumor is for another LG built Nexus device. Clocking in with a 5.2-inch display, the LG Angler looks like it may be fairly similar to the LG G4 with the Snapdragon 808 SoC. Speculation is early on this one though, specs are bound to change, and many components have not been chosen yet. With the general idea being that this LG phone is the proper successor to the Nexus 5, we do not expect top rung specs, just an overall solid experience.

Two different OEMs making two different devices...I don't believe it. On OEM making both I would.

Few more details;
[Rumor] No Nexus Tablet In 2015, But Two Phones—A 5.2-Inch LG (Code Name Angler) And A 5.7-Inch Huawei (Code Name Bullhead)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ler-and-a-5-7-inch-huawei-code-name-bullhead/

First up is the LG device, code named “Angler” to follow Google’s trend of aquatic animal names. The smartphone will reportedly pack a 5.2-inch display, a 2700mAh battery and a Snapdragon 808 chip. Some of those specs are apparently still up for debate, but overall it sounds like a pretty nice upgrade for the two-year old Nexus 5.

Meanwhile, Huawei’s “Bullhead” is expected to be a much larger device with a 5.7-inch display. It will also reportedly offer a Snapdragon 810 processor and a 3500mAh battery. It sounds like a close follow-up to the Nexus 6, though with a slightly smaller footprint.

Android Police notes that both Nexus devices should launch at around the same time this fall, likely in October. As for Google’s tablet lineup, we may be stuck with the Nexus 9 for another year.

Two different OEMs making two different devices...I don't believe it. On OEM making both I would.

I can believe it. The Moto Nexus 6 was the "see, we can make a big Nexus phone" experiment, but Google got burned by customers who wanted a cheaper, more reasonably-sized phone. The solution? Make both! And Google probably wants different OEMs to avoid playing favorites (remember, Motorola, HTC and ASUS were all involved last year).

I can believe it. The Moto Nexus 6 was the "see, we can make a big Nexus phone" experiment, but Google got burned by customers who wanted a cheaper, more reasonably-sized phone. The solution? Make both! And Google probably wants different OEMs to avoid playing favorites (remember, Motorola, HTC and ASUS were all involved last year).

Yea those customers (the ones bolded) are idiots.

The historical pricing of unlocked international unsubsidized phones has always been $650USD, going back 10+ years. The pricing on the next Nexus will be the same price point I'll wager beer on it. OPO, N4 and N5 were bizarre sold-at-loss flukes in terms of pricing.

Kids whining on the internet about how their parents refused to buy them expensive kit.

The historical pricing of unlocked international unsubsidized phones has always been $650USD, going back 10+ years. The pricing on the next Nexus will be the same price point I'll wager beer on it. OPO, N4 and N5 were bizarre sold-at-loss flukes in terms of pricing.

Kids whining on the internet about how their parents refused to buy them expensive kit.

Oh, I'm not denying that the Nexus 6 is fairly priced for a flagship... but let's face it, hiking the price of entry from $350 to $650 is bound to alienate some people. I don't know if Google will ever go back to the N4/N5 price points, but something more accessible seems likely if the LG/Huawei leak is accurate.

$650 is too much for me. I realize it's the same amount as any phone but it's still out of my price range. $500 is a different story and it's certainly doable. If they do a N5 remake that looks decent $500 is a day one purchase for me. Anything more and I'll probably keep my N5.

I would never pay full retail for a new phone anyways when you can normally get one one Swappa at a considerable discount and save tax as well. You can still warranty used phones through the OEM/carrier (at least I have with no issue) too. I've actually had better luck (hardware wise) with used phones than I have with new ones too. Last 4 new phone's I got new had to be replaced (last time was with a refurb that I still use today), whereas the last few I got on Swappa were fine.

They are NOT sold at a loss, or do you think the hundreds of Chinese phone with comparable specs are sold at a loss too?

The myth that a flagship phone must cost $600 needs to die.

If they get a 5.2 nexus I'll sell my developer note 4 and get one. The current nexus 6 is just too big (the note is too big, but isn't slippery like the 6 so its more managable).

Damn, I was hoping they would just make another 7" Nexus 7 phone. :p

Nexus 6 was just retarded. Pretty much ruled out 3/4 of the Nexus fan base and the general public due to the size.

I would have one right now on Verizon if it wasn't stupid huge. A Note sized phone is as large as I'll go, gotta draw the line somewhere.

Nexus 6 user here and I dont really get the "huge" thing. It's hardly bigger than the Notes or iPhone 6plus.

Nexus 6 user here and I dont really get the "huge" thing. It's hardly bigger than the Notes or iPhone 6plus.

Exactly, I've owned the OnePlus One and iPhone 6 Plus. And with my thin Nillkin case, it really is no different in the hand than my iPhone 6 Plus. Actually with curved back is easier to hold.

After a month, the Nexus 6 becomes comfortably normal sized IMO.

Back