ASUS P67 sleep issues with no overclocking and Internal PPL Overvoltage disabled

joonys

n00b
A thread to collect information on this problem for those having sleep issues without any overclocking.

Description of the problem for me:
Short sleeps (several minutes) are OK. Longer ones (e.g. a few hours - not sure on the minimum length needed to cause issues) are problematic. When waking, the computer will start up, shut down after about 1 second, start up again (*), shut down again after a few seconds, start up again and stay on but get stuck on Q-Code EA with no video output.

(*) I have a PC speaker connected and sometimes at this point there are three beeps.

However behaviour is not always consistent. I am sure I have seen code E2 as well, also once it went into an infinite reboot cycle.

Anyway, once stuck on Q-Code EA if I press reset the motherboard won't POST and again three beeps. However holding the power button down and then turning back on will allow a normal POST. Cold boots are always OK.

For the first week I was using the motherboard I am sure I had no issues (UEFI 1003). I then flashed to UEFI 1253 and I first had the problem shortly after that. So it is possible the problem started with a UEFI update. I am now running 1305 and still with problems.

Below are my complete specs (in case if there are any trends):

• ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
  • Intel Core i7 2600 (not the K edition)
  • Corsair 2x2GB CL9 DDR3 @ 1333MHz (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)
  • Corsair HX750 PSU
  • ASUS GeForce GTX 470
  • Samsung 64GB SLC SSD
  • Western Digital WD1001FALS
  • Western Digital WD1002FAEX
  • Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD PCIe
  • Compro E650 PCIe TV card
  • Lite-On iHAS324 A SATA DVD-RW drive
  • USB devices: receivers for Microsoft Explorer mouse, Microsoft Wireless Laser Keyboard 7000 (also appears as a second mouse), Belkin Bluetooth adapter, Sandisk card reader
  • Dell 2709W monitor

What are your PM settings in Windows and is C1E, C3, C6 and EIST enabled in UEFI?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

EIST is enabled and C1E/C3/C6 are on Auto.

OS is Windows 7, power plan is set to balanced (turn off hard disks after 90 mins, USB selective suspend enabled, PCIe link state power management enabled, min processor state 5%, max 100%)

Do you guys have either of the Marvell and JMB SATA controllers disabled?

Do you guys have either of the Marvell and JMB SATA controllers disabled?

I've got all the controllers enabled. :)

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus P67 Sabertooth
CPU: I5-2500K (no oc)
Harddrives: Intel X-25M SSD for OS
WD Green 1GB for data
Optical: Samsung DVD burner
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X 4GB kit)
PSU: Seasonic X-750
GPU: Gainward GTX 570 Phantom edition
Soundcard: Creative Titanium HD
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Roccat Kone Plus
Monitor: NEC 2690WUXi

All drives are connected via S-ATA 3 connector avoiding the faulty S-ATA 2 connectors.

I have a similar issue with P8P67 deluxe board but symptoms are slightly different. On waking sometimes all is OK, sometimes I get to the desktop but am told the display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered and sometimes it reboots but normally. I see in the event logs that "the computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xfffffa800add14e0, 0xfffff8800f819354, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002). " Research suggests this is the graphics driver.

My first theory was that it could be the aero peek/aero desktop. When my computer sleeps i have noticed the mouse cursor returns to the bottom right hand corner of the screen, exactly where aero/peek button resides. So on returning from sleep the first thing the graphic driver tried to do it "peek" the desktop, maybe causing it to falter long enough to not respond? Anyway I disabled both aero peek and transparency on my desktop and for 3 days not a problem, only once did it "recover and not reboot and on one other occasion it rebooted. Thats out of about 10+ "sleeps".

Anyway just thoughts on the topic...
Barry

I have a similar issue with P8P67 deluxe board but symptoms are slightly different. On waking sometimes all is OK, sometimes I get to the desktop but am told the display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered and sometimes it reboots but normally. I see in the event logs that "the computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.

Don't have nvlddmkm errors popping up. Those are TDR errors and can be very generic, often not related to the GFX card at all. Here's Nvidia's offical statement on those errors and what to look for:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161

Does everyone here with sleep issues have Nvidia cards? I remember from my old ATI card that some driver a long time ago had problems with sleep as well.

Currently, I am using 266.77 driver set (EVGA leaked drivers).

Don't have nvlddmkm errors popping up. Those are TDR errors and can be very generic, often not related to the GFX card at all. Here's Nvidia's offical statement on those errors and what to look for:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161

Does everyone here with sleep issues have Nvidia cards? I remember from my old ATI card that some driver a long time ago had problems with sleep as well.

Currently, I am using 266.77 driver set (EVGA leaked drivers).

OK thanks for that, basically it could be any hardware or software in the PC it looks like ;) I wont worry, prime95 and furmark tests seem good, no overheating issues or errors, it only when it comes out of sleep and that is only sometimes.
Barry

i have them all disabled.
I've got all the controllers enabled. :)

Thanks. Just going through the settings to see if I can find the cause. I've now manually set the BCLK to 100.0 MHz (think the default is 100.3) and so far I've had two successful long sleeps. But sometimes it does wake OK so that doesn't really mean anything, I'll carry on monitoring it.

A thread to collect information on this problem for those having sleep issues without any overclocking.
I have an Asrock P67 Fatal1ty with i2600K @ 4.6GHz that wasn't waking from sleep, very similar to the descriptions here for Asus boards. I was able to fix the problem by returning to stock CPU and RAM settings (RAM on Auto @ 1600, NOT the XMP profile).

S3 now works flawlessly for me. Since I have a working baseline, I'm going to leave it at stock until I can exchange this board for B3 stepping, then apply an overclock.

Edit: Forgot that I do have PLL overvoltage disabled, otherwise all the CPU/RAM bios settings are auto.

This may help. I installed my Ver B3 replacement Deluxe MB (1305 bios), and right away, notice the cpu was not downclocking to 1.6GHz while idling. In the bios, C1, C3 and C6 were set to "Auto". I changed them to "Enable," and then, Speedstep worked. Thus, having them on Auto = off. So, manually enable them.

I've got a p8p67 pro B3 with 1305 and an i7 2600k @ 4800mhz right now and at least for short sleeps things seem fine, I'll try sleeping it overnight and see what happens. Some suggestions:

-Make sure if your using offset voltage your not using negative voltage, I think this actually decreases the from the full range not just full load, so coming out of sleep you could be below the stock voltage and have problems
-Make sure PLL overclocking is disabled
-Turn all the CXX settings to enabled instead of auto

This may help. I installed my Ver B3 replacement Deluxe MB (1305 bios), and right away, notice the cpu was not downclocking to 1.6GHz while idling. In the bios, C1, C3 and C6 were set to "Auto". I changed them to "Enable," and then, Speedstep worked. Thus, having them on Auto = off. So, manually enable them.

Just read on another thread that clearing the cmos will probably correct this issue.

OK so now I've tried:
1. CMOS reset
2. Setting all C-State settings to enabled
3. Enabling the Marvell/JMB controllers
4. Manually setting the BCLK to 100.0

...and the problem just reoccured, so they didn't fix it. Maybe an incompatibility with the sound card? I guess I can try taking it out for a while.

i think when you set the Ai tuner to manual from auto it turns off the sleep ability

try just leaving that part on auto and entering your multi for your oc

Update:

Tried removing my X-Fi Titanium HD sound card - no change
Updated to BIOS 1502 - no change

To clarify, hibernation and hybrid sleep are disabled.

I'm having no sleep or hibernate issues with a P8P67 board, I can put it into sleep mode for a short time or overnight and it restarts without problems. I'm not overclocking and all bios defaults except the marvell controller enabled are loaded. The only issue I have is the keyboard and mouse freeze problem but that only happens just after a cold boot, never from waking from sleep or hibernation states.

I was just thinking of this thread after seeing a new banner ad. I was subscribed due to having the exact same issues with my new B3 deluxe board (and some of the same issues with my previous one). I had to fix the problem by RMA'ing for a refund.

You know it's a pretty widespread issue when AMD picks up the tag-line "ready. willing. and stable." :D
( of course they don't say fast & cool )

I am also having a sleep issue where I am not overclocking. I had read other threads here with sleep problems, and that it was an Intel issue. However, after digging further, it seems it is an Intel issue only if you are OCing.

I have followed the threads, disabled PLL overvoltage, enabled C1,C2,C3 (not auto)

Still no luck. When I set the computer to sleep, it appears to go down hard. No blinking power light or anything. When I power the machine back on, I get the message that Windows was shut down incorrectly.

I submitted a case to ASUS, and was told to update my BIOS to 1502 (from 1305). I was not sure this would solve anything since the release notes for 1502 had nothing for sleep, but I tried it. This did not solve anything, and still have the same problems. (I did the CMOS reset procedure as well)

So far, everything else seems to work fine.

If it is only an Intel issue if OCing, does that mean my board is defective? Not sure how thrilled I am to have to swap this board out again...

lots of things effect sleep. Usb devices, power settting, programs/device drivers that block sleep, etc.

could be anything.

google and Download MST, there are some diagnostic tools in the app that may help.

lots of things effect sleep. Usb devices, power settting, programs/device drivers that block sleep, etc.

could be anything.

google and Download MST, there are some diagnostic tools in the app that may help.

Ahhh, very helpful! This program did the trick. Thanks The Mac. Very happy to not have to deal with the board on this one ;)

I ran into this issue last night, left the computer on and when I woke up the computer wouldn't wake up. I did a hard shutdown and it started up just fine with no apparent errors in windows or "un-normal startup screen".

Specs:

i7-2600k @ 4.8ghz
Corsair Dominator GT 2000mhz running @ 1866mhz with default timings.
Asus P67 Deluxe B3 w/ default bios
OCZ Vertex 2 60gb SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate with default power management settings.

Settings in BIOS:

Manual Core settings Per Core - 48 on each.
LLC - Auto
Offset - Manual + .20
VRM Frequency

Idle Vcore @ 1600mhz is roughly 1.15-1.2v
Load Vcore is 1.392-1.40

Nothing else is changed. Its only happened once, just like it did on my MSI but I thought I would comment in here since it did happen.

MST short for MCE Standby Tool by SlickSolutions

it sets a bunch of stuff up automatically, and monitors sleep and power functions. Keeps a log of everything, and can report blockers, choose sleep type, setup power functions, show your wakeup devices, set unattended wakeup idle timeouts, etc

Its one of the fisrt things i install on a new system.

If you are having sleep problems, it can find them for you.

Ok, I corrected part of my problem with MST dealing between standby and hibernate. Just doing standby, and it worked when I did a shutdown -> sleep.

Trying to let the computer idle and auto sleep though has caused various problems, and will not wake up.

will have to keep messing around with this thing.

turn on the MST log and check it after it idles to sleep. I believe the log doesn't cache (writes out immediately), so you should get info even after a crash...

An update, my P67 Deluxe refuses to wake up from sleep mode whether its induced or idled.

I have been looking at the logs, though trying to make some sense of them.

On another note, my case to ASUS is not too satisfying. After updating my BIOS, and mentioning I still have the same problem, their next step is referring me to the RMA department. I was hopeful they were a little more interested in determining the root cause.

As others have mentioned, I am not convinced it is a hardware issue since so many others have this problem. I am guessing it may be something buggy with the BIOS or supporting chipset drivers or my setup, or combination thereof.

Hi all, I'm in the same boat as you guys. Going by what others have experienced thus far the only thing I haven't tried is a bios update. My system is running at stock setting, for now, and haven't tried to overclock this thing yet. :eek:

I had sleep disabled and tired messing with it again a while ago while I went down stairs. When I came up and tried to wake the system it went into a loop as though it were trying to recover from a bad overclock with no video. Other than this issue, everything else appears to be working fine after one week of many hours running.

CPU: Corei7 2600K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth rev. B3 (Bios 1305)
Memory: 16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 (7-8-7-24) 1.6v
GPU: Some cheap Asus from old(er) makeshift system
PSU: Antec HCP 1200
CASE: Thermal Take Mozart TX
OS Drive: Intel X25-M 80GB G2 (SSD)
Data Drive: WD 1TB Black
Optical: 2x Sony DRU870-S
Topre Keyboard
Logitech wireless mouse
Monitor: NEC LCD2490WUXI

I have been looking at the logs, though trying to make some sense of them.

On another note, my case to ASUS is not too satisfying. After updating my BIOS, and mentioning I still have the same problem, their next step is referring me to the RMA department. I was hopeful they were a little more interested in determining the root cause.

As others have mentioned, I am not convinced it is a hardware issue since so many others have this problem. I am guessing it may be something buggy with the BIOS or supporting chipset drivers or my setup, or combination thereof.

Start, then type event.+ Once you launch View Event Logs, look for the Critical Errors in the last 24 hours.+ Follow-up by looking in the Windows Logs and filtering the System Log for Kernel-Power entries.+ Interesting items would include The last sleep transition was unsuccessful, or The system is entering sleep.

A thought: are the P67 wake/standby issues limited to SSD users?

Hi [H]ardforum,

I am a newbie builder. I've kept an old P4 alive and well for 8+ years now with many upgrades done by me and never had problems that I couldn't figure out on my own.

I decided to finally upgrade and this what I built.

i7-2600K
EVGA nVidia GTX 470
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
A-Data XPG 2x 8GB 1600 DDR3 tot. 16GB
Antec TP650 PSU
1tb WD caviar black 6Gb/s sata OS
2tb WD caviar green 3Gb/s sata storage
BD burner and DVD burner 2 opitcal drives
Xigmatek Loki CPU cooler
Rosewill Challenger Case

This build is about two weeks old now. First boot worked and comp came alive without a hitch and this computer seems to work well otherwise with everything recognized and working.

I have tried everything to resume from s3 including all the previous mentioned, in this thread, fixes and none has worked. My board arrived with B3 and BIOS 1305. It was able to sleep and properly resume for short and somewhat extended sleep up to several hours. It never resumed from overnight sleeps. Asus tech told me to update my bios to 1502 and see if that helped and it did not. It has become even more problematic now and will only wake after very short periods <30 mins. I am now on bios 1503 and no solution, in fact, other than becomming less stable in sleep I can't tell any other differences from 1305 to these new bios.

I have not been responded to by ASUS since they told me to update the BIOS last week sometime. I have sent emails reporting that their solution did not fix sleep resume and have not had a response since then.

I came here to add my name to the list of ASUS P67 SB builds that doesn't resume from sleep no matter what I try. It always ends up on Q-code "EA" which according to the manual is Boot script error. I have to hard shutdown by holding the power button till it shuts off then press it again to turn on and it always boots up and runs fine no matter what task I put to it. I've never had glitches while running and I have played with dram voltage from 1.5 to 1.65 volts and all works I currently have DRAM voltage at 1.55 which is the recommended minimum. I have all settings for performance at stock in other words I'm not overclocking and don't intend to, I just wanted the opportunity if I felt like it.

I'm at a loss as to what is going on here and becomming more frustrated all the time that I can't find some magical setting. After all this time I never would have thought new computers would have problems resuming from S3.

Unfortunately sleep is very important to my purposes for many reasons and not having it work.....frankly, sucks!

Mark K.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm in the same boat as you guys. Going by what others have experienced thus far the only thing I haven't tried is a bios update. My system is running at stock setting, for now, and haven't tried to overclock this thing yet. :eek:

I have also the same issue. I have updated to BIOS 1503 (Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev. B3). I am planning to re-install OS (Windows 7 SP1 64-bit) to see if the issue exists also with a "clean" OS install without any Asus drivers. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do re-install now.

Back