First time watercoooling...looking for some advice

maademperor

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've always wanted to get into watercooling but cost has been an issue (along with general need) but now I think I'm ready to take the plunge as I've got my first case with a window (I dont replace cases very often) but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the products and verbiage...

With that said, I'll tell you about what I want to do...I'm using a corsair h100i on my cpu, I'm pretty pleased with its performance and I'm about to add a second 280x for crossfire (sli/crossfire is also something I've wanted to play with) so I was thinking I would set up a loop just for the video cards and if I'm pleased expand the loop later for the cpu/chipset.

So can anyone give me some recommendations on parts for a loop to cool a pair of Gigabyte R9 280x in a Corsair 750d? While looking at parts I was seeing blocks but many said for reference cards (or specific brands) and I'm not sure how to verify if my cards are reference or not, so that was a holdup right there. Pump, radiator and resevoir slowed me down too because I didnt have a good idea of what was compatible or advisable to combine and well regarded....

thanks in advance!

As for GPU blocks I prefer universals now. Full cover blocks are great, but the depreciation on them is pretty high. You can cool VRMs with heatsinks or using heatkiller's VRM block that you kind of cut down for your specific application. The other benefit to this is you can use non-reference GPUs if you prefer.

If you go the full block method then make sure to do your research on what fits what specific models. Most block manufacturers are in Europe and these small cooling shops don't have awesome return policies.

I think a few questions should be answered:

What is your budget for the loop?

Do you want silence or absolute performance?

thanks for the advice on the blocks!

I'd suppose my budget is $300-$400 range but I'm starting to wonder if that is going to slip higher. I was also considering that maybe I should just do the whole system and be done with it (or at least throw the CPU into the loop).

I'd probably say I want performance first and then silence as a close second...very close second.

I would definitely do both. CPU blocks are cheap and fairly interchangeable regardless of the sockets.

The Swiftech intro AIO units might be best since they are expandable:

http://www.swiftech.com/MCR140-X.aspx
http://www.swiftech.com/H220-X.aspx
http://www.swiftech.com/H240-X.aspx

These offer a nice all in one option with room to expand. It might be friendlier on the budget as you can add items into the loop later. You can get respectable temperatures with a 3770k and 7970 on just the H220-x, but if you want to overclock a good bit then I'd recommend some added radiator capacity.

Generally for my friends that want to do water cooling I recommend the barbed fittings as well to help save on cost. The compression fittings are nice and fancy looking, but really the barbs work just fine and can save some bucks and frustration later on.

So, say an H220-X + GPU block ($150-70) and you are finished. If you want a full cover block it will be towards the $150 range with backplate unless you source second hand hardware. The universal is of course cheaper, but it has beginning costs for items like heatsinks and thermal tape.

I would recommend you to take a look at used water cooling gear. Even Though they may need to be clean before use but you can save lot of money going that way.
Radiator: you would need 360 at least for your system, 3 good high static pressure fans. Alphacool radiator is my most famous used they should be around 50-60. Make sure you clean them well before use regardless new or used.
Gpu block: you should go to EK configurator. Their blocks fit most of the cards in the market atm. These should run you about 150 used or up to 220 new. Or you can go with universal blocks that can help cut down the cost
Cpu: Cou block is easiest to find and should cost aroun 30-40 used new about 70.
Pump is the only items you should not use used product.

Hey Thanks for the advice guys, I'm glad it took a little while for the comments to come in on this, it's given me a chance to really look at what I want to do and research products. I'm looking at the used products too (a [H] member's equipment)....I had no idea about those swiftech products, thanks for posting that dsmwoookie.

No problem man. If you have any more questions let me know. I have done quite a few rigs now and enjoy it, but their definitely can be unexpected costs that nickle and dime you.

Back