Roku??? (sorry if this is the whong forum)

edward78

Limp Gawd
So I have Dish & they are about to maybe drop another channel with a few shows I like. I know roku has a Time Warner app. does It have a DVR that can record more than 1 show at once?

Last edited:
I've got a Roku 3, so i can probably answer some of your questions...

However, Roku does not have DVR functionality (At least not the models I am aware of).

I've got a Roku 3, so i can probably answer some of your questions...

However, Roku does not have DVR functionality (At least not the models I am aware of).

:( It would be nice... One more question, do you have to be in Time Warner's service area to get it with the app.?

:( It would be nice... One more question, do you have to be in Time Warner's service area to get it with the app.?

Given that you need to be a paying customer and it only works with TWC credentials...

Generally the material available on Roku Channels is "at will" selection and play so you can generally select what you want when you want it. Some deviate from that model and do live streams. Usually a DVR wouldn't be necessary.

So I have Dish & they are about to maybe drop another channel with a few shows I like. I know roku has a Time Warner app. does It have a DVR that can record more than 1 show at once?
Which shows if you can share? Because by the time TW has it, its probably on other services.

I use the CBS app on my iPad and Galaxy Tab. I watch Big Bang and NCIS on it and it's free. No need for a Roku.

The Big Bang Theory & The Millers...
Plex & the CBS Plug-in. Roku has a Plex Client. You need the Plex Server up and running on a PC when you want to watch.

You can put a Client and Server on the Same PC. I would test drive it that way. Start the Server add the CBS Plug-in and use the PC Client to select the show and watch. Sort of a Gray thing since they seem to be taking CBS's own hosted public feed but stripping out the extras like ads and making it available in a clean interface on your TV.

Plex & the CBS Plug-in. Roku has a Plex Client. You need the Plex Server up and running on a PC when you want to watch.

You can put a Client and Server on the Same PC. I would test drive it that way. Start the Server add the CBS Plug-in and use the PC Client to select the show and watch. Sort of a Gray thing since they seem to be taking CBS's own hosted public feed but stripping out the extras like ads and making it available in a clean interface on your TV.

That is dumb, seems like the roku could just handle it, I was happy to learn I could put apps. on the SD card, but If I need to setup a server to use a app. to watch a network, no thanks. I could prob just build a streaming box myself, have the server & client in the same box... Roku 3 is andriod right?

Last edited:
That is dumb, seems like the roku could just handle it, I was happy to learn I could put apps. on the SD card, but If I need to setup a server to use a app. to watch a network, no thanks. I could prob just build a streaming box myself, have the server & client in the same box... Roku 3 is andriod right?

Roku is a closed platform (could be running Android but probably not), so don't expect to do much other than whatever they sanction. The content you get on it depends on the apps that you install and subscriptions that you have. It has been over 6 months since I moved out of TWC country, but at that time, the Roku app would only play a selection of live TV streams (no on-demand access). The availability of channels was also a subset of what you would get on your regular subscription - mostly the living/history/cooking/kids channels - no networks, no sports, etc.

The Roku will NOT function as a DVR, period.

If it is the current shows you're interested in watching, there's always Hulu, which is available as a Roku app.

You're not going to buy anything under $100 and suddenly have content (especially current content).You have to pay for content or use other hardware to help.

You can hook up a tuner to a plex server and install a cable card on it to get a pvr to your roku if you want. The tw app on roku looks like it would serve most of the needs as most tv shows are IPTV so on demand anyway.

Back