automated copy software?

d50man

2[H]4U
I have a 2TB usb 3.0 mybook external drive that is having issues but it is my backup drive and i need to copy the data to another disk.

However I am getting random usb disconnects and stalls i need an automated software that can deal with 1.8 tb of transfer with resuming function
any ideas?

If you need the data on it then it's not really a backup drive.

My default copy software is supercopier 2, it replaces windows copier, and shows a message when a copy stops, you can try to start it again, or skip the file, or put the file at the end of the queue. You can tell it to do that automatically after the first problem.

it has photos and video on it a i don't use it very often it was unplugged and in a drawer in my desk.
thanks for supercopier idea any other suggestions?

I wished "rsync" already ported on windows :) since already use 99.9% for transfering current update datas to other server for backup purposes . :D

one question for you: do you use rsyn via ssh or nfs or others transport layer?

If you need the data on it then it's not really a backup drive.

My default copy software is supercopier 2, it replaces windows copier, and shows a message when a copy stops, you can try to start it again, or skip the file, or put the file at the end of the queue. You can tell it to do that automatically after the first problem.

I stick with teracopy. just my preference than supercopier

I use it locally and over NFS. If I need remote access I usually use VPN (OpenVPN or IPsec) and tunnel NFS through that. I always wanted to get familiar with the rsync daemon and remote protocol, but never found the time to look into it.

I basically do every copy operation not involving a Windows drive with rsync. On my Windows systems all data apart from the basic OS and application stuff is on network shares.

I also wanted to look into rsync on cygwin, it seems to work there.

I use it locally and over NFS. If I need remote access I usually use VPN (OpenVPN or IPsec) and tunnel NFS through that. I always wanted to get familiar with the rsync daemon and remote protocol, but never found the time to look into it.

thanks!

I always use nfs for rsyc
running rsync with ssh gave me lower transfer rate and a bit cpu utilzation. I guess due on encryption/decryption.

if you exprience then rsync via nfs, please let me know..
BTW, all machines are running centos 6.5 and just refresh one machine with better motherboard+powercinsumption with centos 7

I wished "rsync" already ported on windows :) since already use 99.9% for transfering current update datas to other server for backup purposes . :D

Err... what? There's several different rsync ports for windows. The most popular probably being the one that cygwin has.

I use robocopy (robust file copy)
can copy or sync disks or folders, locally or remotely over SMB shares.

Free, included with Windows, ultrafast, ultrarobust
I use it to sync Multi-Terabytes

Err... what? There's several different rsync ports for windows. The most popular probably being the one that cygwin has.
performace is not good....
did you ever try?
Bloat Cygwin layer slow down peformance. check on your Task Manager, you will see how cygwin steal processing cycles.

native nfs and rsyc is the best.
I know $$ NFS server and client on windows,

Goodsync for Windows (http://www.goodsync.com/):

Its not free unfortunately (~$30), but it does have a 30-day full featured trial. I can personally attest that it does have automation, is extremely fast, and is highly customizable.

FreeFileSync. Has Compare, Update, Syncronize & Mirror functionality. Has Windows, OSX & *nix flavors, is actively updated and very reliable.

performace is not good....
did you ever try?
Bloat Cygwin layer slow down peformance. check on your Task Manager, you will see how cygwin steal processing cycles.

native nfs and rsyc is the best.
I know $$ NFS server and client on windows,

*all* rsync clients do that with the wrong file types. I got that on a linux box trying to sync a couple directories with large files.

*all* rsync clients do that with the wrong file types. I got that on a linux box trying to sync a couple directories with large files.

I do not understand your wording.

Have been using rsync 7 years :D.

wrong filetype? I am puzzling now what that means

I do not understand your wording.

Have been using rsync 7 years :D.

wrong filetype? I am puzzling now what that means

Exactly what it says on the tin, rsync doesn't do well with large files or large collections of moderately sized files. It'll use a ton of processor time doing a comparison with the server, this doesn't change regardless of the platform.

If the offending USB drive is having issues like that, then the USB-SATA module is probably dying and you'll most likely be dumping it after you get the data off. Why not pull it out of the USB enclosure and either drop it in a known-good USB dock or connect it direct via Internal SATA?

hey nate i know the usb board has hardware encryption so that is a nogo

i have to get another 2tb unit to swap the board off of then raid 1 them internally for the future.

Exactly what it says on the tin, rsync doesn't do well with large files or large collections of moderately sized files. It'll use a ton of processor time doing a comparison with the server, this doesn't change regardless of the platform.

it does work as expected. rsync still exist, until got replaced by other tools

I am rsync big data file. and cpu cycles not much.. until you are doing compression.

rsync does not use much memory on linux. did you ever ty to rsync big files and monitor memory usage on linux?

cgwin is using memory much and slow due on third layer added on the top of windows.

you can ask admins, what is the best tool for backup without copying whole files in un*x world... rsync is still standing up.

did you following technical doc on how rsync works? try to read and understand. comparing files is not file to file. rsync create tables kind of tools to use.

Back