considering mobo/cpu upgrade from 1366

current rig:
i7 920 @ 3.6
ASUS P6T LGA 1366
G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1600
GIGABYTE GV-R928XOC-3GD REV2 Radeon R9 280X

i've been wanting to upgrade mobo/cpu for a few years now but the good stuff is so pricy. i think i'm finally ready to drop a couple hundred bucks.

i'm on a pretty tight budget, no more than $300 total, preferrably much...much less :p

i'm looking at the ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460 and maybe a 4690k to go with it.

i'm wondering if for that price there would be a better combo to go with, or even how much of a performance increase i'd see. i play alot of FFXIV and WoW-type games and i'm looking to pick up GTA5 in january. all at 1920x1080 with basically maxed settings.

i've found pretty decent deals on both of those here on [H] and ebay so i can get them both for around $300 total.

thoughts? :)

Why not just drop a x5650 in that board 70$ or a 5660 90$ on e-bay
6cores 12 threads oc that puppy to 4ghz and put the other money on a nice GPU.

This right here.

Best bang for your buck, and will be a nice performance boost.

Also, for your RAM, I take it you are running 2 8GB sticks? If so, you are only running in dual channel mode. If you are running 4 4GB sticks, you are running 12GB in triple channel and 4GB in single channel.

If you are only running dual channel, I would get a 3rd stick so you will be running in triple channel mode.

Last edited:
that's actually not a bad idea...x5675 is $120

i don't see a need for a GPU atm. my 280x destroys everything i play. although i'll probly upgrade it in the next year or so anyway. obviously i upgrade my GPU alot more often than CPU :D

This right here.

Best bang for your buck, and will be a nice performance boost.

Also, for your RAM, I take it you are running 2 8GB sticks? If so, you are only running in dual channel mode. If you are running 4 4GB sticks, you are running 12GB in triple channel and 4GB in single channel.

If you are only running dual channel, I would get a 3rd stick so you will be running in triple channel mode.

i don't know why that never occurred to me...i am running 4x4gb. do you think i'd see an improvement just removing one stick and running 12gb in triple channel?

5650 would be chapest.
Westmere-EP is pretty good.
or..
4690K + this board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8408&cm_re=biostar_z97-_-13-138-408-_-Product
or this board + a $15 BIOS chip
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8380&cm_re=biostar_z87-_-13-138-380-_-Product
Both boards are heavier-duty than that AsRock and Biostar will actually RMA.

I've had a 5660,and both of those boards..
+ an AsRock Extreme4,OCF,z87x OC..

the BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z97WE can't be found for cheaper than $115. any thoughts on this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130777 ?

280x will still run anything on highest settings with more than acceptable framerates.

That would be great for things than can make use of more threads than what he already has, which isn't going to be much, and everything else will perform virtually the same. Including the games he mentioned which don't exactly scale that great.

That would be great for things than can make use of more threads than what he already has, which isn't going to be much, and everything else will perform virtually the same.
There's a bit of an IPC bump with Westmere-EP.

There's a bit of an IPC bump with Westmere-EP.

Marginal. For the games he's interested in, he's better off with Haswell. If he's encoding bluray's to MP4's so he can stream them to his AppleTV, that's another matter.

Marginal. For the games he's interested in, he's better off with Haswell. If he's encoding bluray's to MP4's so he can stream them to his AppleTV, that's another matter.

this. i was really wanting to upgrade my motherboard anyway. just trying to save a few bucks.

i found a 4670k for $170 which leaves me room to get the BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z97WE. i'm gonna let the thought of spending nearly $300 sink in for a few days before i bite though.

Not really...

Those gaming benchmarks are comparing and overclocked 5660 to a stock one, and in games that are well threaded. No comparison to Haswell which is what the OP is considering, in addition to that, the games he's interested in aren't well threaded. It's relevancy to the OP's request is actually quite off.

Hey

You realize first gen/X58 is still underrated as hell right? haha, first gen Oced high still pretty strong not very power efficient though obviously.

My rig- Xeon W3520 4.3Ghz on air, Gigabyte R9 270 oced/overvolted, 9 gigs of Nanya 1333/tripple chan, or 8 gigs of G.skill/Hynix dual 1600mhz.....Asus Rampage II Gene..

Sounds like you have CO chip bad Ocing chips etc later batch DO chips are kinda crappy too and don't want to do 4ghz at reasonable Vcore/excess heat.

you have a good board pick up the Xeon/server chip it really is better runs cooler/OCs better/lower Vcore/less heat etc its better chip/silicon. my 920 DO chip must be a bad one etc

Your board could probably go a good bit higher on Bclk/stable than mine...

now what I can't figure out is why 5 year old 1333mhz Nanya ram/memory 9gb/trip channel I have really feels a lot snappier/better performing vs this pretty new 1600mhz Gskill/hynix, maybe the tighter timings idk...even in Dual channel latency does bench a good bit lower than trip but the Gskill I swear just feels more sluggish I think its because its Hynix man they are known to be iffy/failing etc I have ran memtest idk how many times never found anything though.... weird

If I did upgrade no doubt Ivy bridge or Haswell at least i5 etc farrr more power efficient with even better performance, Haswell doesn't OC as well though so they say.

Last edited:

Indeed. I posted a similar thread not long ago and was told the same thing. After researching more I agreed that it was the way to go and next Tuesday I will be getting my new xeon cpu to give it a shot! :D
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1840356

Save up your money to increase your budget and keep your eyes open for a hot BF/CM deal on a quality MoBo like a Z97 Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI and a Haswell i5 or i7 K.

i don't know why that never occurred to me...i am running 4x4gb. do you think i'd see an improvement just removing one stick and running 12gb in triple channel?

Nah, you should be good. You can test it out though. I think the system should automatically use the triple channel RAM before it uses the single channel RAM.

I've never actually tested that out though. You could always try it both ways.

280x will still run anything on highest settings with more than acceptable framerates.

Not really... It depends on the resolution AND the AA level etc.

Just blanked stating that a 280x will run everything at max settings is kinda silly.

x58 socket 1366 motherboards are selling for good money on e-bay. So if the OP spent the money on a x5650 and did not like it he could sell it with the motherboard and then buy something else.
There is a reason people are buying these boards like crazy, and dropping in a xeon chip.

I have an Asus Rampage3, an EVGA FTW3 and an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 all running x5660 CPUs and they are work horses and with 660Ti SLI have no problems playing any game I own on my 40in TV.
It is an easy OC to get to 4ghz on air and use an AIO water cooler 4ghz+ is not that hard either.
Plus I run these 24/7/356 crunching BOINC 100% load at 50-55c temps. With H75, H100 and H90 coolers.

Insane man the rampage II gene Oced shit out of this budget/value Gskill 1600mhz 8gb/dual channel

2000mhz!! haha took to get stable the QPI running at 1.65v and Dram likewise 1.65v rofl, man it feels snappy/quick like that with good timings and benching was waaay better....not too healthy to run it like that though for long though probably haha

You should of seen my temps man damn it really was smoking/ verge of being very unstable as hell haha

playing Bf4 and the w3520 hitting 80-85c haha runs it so damn good haha

Last edited:
You should get like one of the really nicer X58 boards , and OC like hell to damn near 5GHZ then say you can eat AMD 8350s for breakfast haha

x58 socket 1366 motherboards are selling for good money on e-bay. So if the OP spent the money on a x5650 and did not like it he could sell it with the motherboard and then buy something else.
There is a reason people are buying these boards like crazy, and dropping in a xeon chip.

if i do upgrade mobo, the old hardware is going into one of my old mining rigs and it'll be my son's new PC.
i hate to get rid of badass hardware even if it is 7 years old.

This might help someone out here. I have the BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87X 3D and a i5-4690K.
it booted up fine, but would linger a long time with windows 7 shutdown and take a very long time exiting the bios as well. Their web page said the CPU was supported, but they neglected to mention it needs a Intel ME firmware flash done by a bootable flash drive. A bios update does not fix the problemA couple of other owners on the web had the same issue. It took a phone call to Biostar tech support to have them email the files to insert into the drive for flashing. They really should mention this on the product web page.

I assume this Intel ME is firmware in the chipset itself.

I feel the same way with mine but hell like I said X58 920/w3520 I mean Oced way up damn near like low end Ivy bridge i5 performance..... minus the 920 power loaded getting ridiculous when at like 4ghz...250w+++ all depending..... reason why ivy/haswell does sound tempting waaay more efficient....

and really memory/controller is not really designed/supported for the high clock/memory we seen way more now days...most x58 boards are bad in that area a few can run some higher speeds fine though but others have to run qpi/dram so damn high/waaay above intel spec to get it stable hard as hell on it with oc like that.

Just a couple of quick points in the Xeon (x58) vs 4770k "debate"

I have two high end machines running the above.

For memory bandwidth, Dual channel 2400Mhz (4770k) = Triple channel 1600Mhz (Xeon X58) however there is a great big caveat in that a 4770k (stock 3.9Ghz) running memory at 2400Mhz is WAY HOTTER than an overclocked (4.4Ghz) Xeon 5670 running 1600Mhz ram.

A 4770k (stock or overclocked) running a Radeon 7970 is WAY SLOWER than a Xeon 5670 overclocked with a Radeon R9 290X. Assuming you already had the 7970, spending the same amount of cash will get you either a CPU/Mobo upgrade or a Video card upgrade, the choice is pretty obvious.

Finally, Yes, few games are threaded, however you will still see a significant boost in gaming performance from the extra cores because the OS is heavily threaded including the display driver. You don't get more frames but the extra cores result in a smoother experience over the older bloomfield CPUs.

Dude what are you talking about....4 cores is plenty with high OC bloomfield still does fine... turn HT off its pointless runs hotter/more Vcore needed etc not really utilized well etc.... causes a lot lag/hitching/stuttering etc.... for outright bandwidth yeah triple is better but dual can still be a little better with latency....

and you are comparing x58 to 4770k/haswell...4770k will destroy it in damn near every way power/efficiency/performance just no comparison.. its just far more modern/better.. instructions alone makes it look really bad even if not used... you lost all credibility too when you start saying you need more cores for gaming rofl.... don't listen to this guy rofl

Just a couple of quick points in the Xeon (x58) vs 4770k "debate"

I have two high end machines running the above.

For memory bandwidth, Dual channel 2400Mhz (4770k) = Triple channel 1600Mhz (Xeon X58) however there is a great big caveat in that a 4770k (stock 3.9Ghz) running memory at 2400Mhz is WAY HOTTER than an overclocked (4.4Ghz) Xeon 5670 running 1600Mhz ram.

A 4770k (stock or overclocked) running a Radeon 7970 is WAY SLOWER than a Xeon 5670 overclocked with a Radeon R9 290X. Assuming you already had the 7970, spending the same amount of cash will get you either a CPU/Mobo upgrade or a Video card upgrade, the choice is pretty obvious.

Finally, Yes, few games are threaded, however you will still see a significant boost in gaming performance from the extra cores because the OS is heavily threaded including the display driver. You don't get more frames but the extra cores result in a smoother experience over the older bloomfield CPUs.

Hotter vs heat. Haswell may run hotter, but it produces FAR less heat. It's like comparing a flame from a lighter to the heat coming out of an active heater vent. The flame might be hotter but it's never going to warm up a room. Vs a heater vent which will warm up a room quite fast. I'll also have to wholeheartedly disagree with your "smoother experience" assessment. If your 5670 CPU is running games smoother than your 4770 setup, particularly on games that aren't threaded to take advantage of 6+ cores, there's something wrong with your haswell setup.

Last edited:
comparing Haswell 22nm to x58 45nm chips man regarding heat/power consumption/performance

I'm gonna fall down laughing because this is too humorous rofl

comparing Haswell 22nm to x58 45nm chips man regarding heat/power consumption/performance

I think he is talking about the x5650 or x5660. They are 32nm chips, not 45nm.

Status End of Life
Launch Date Q1'10
Processor Number X5660
Intel® Smart Cache 12 MB
Intel® QPI Speed 6.4 GT/s
# of QPI Links 2
Instruction Set 64-bit
Instruction Set Extensions SSE4.2
Embedded Options Available
No
Lithography 32 nm
VID Voltage Range 0.750V-1.350V
Recommended Customer Price TRAY: $1219.00
BOX : $1222.00

Is even more humorous that you don't know the xeon is 32nm not 45.

I'd suggest a few things you would do well to remember..

1). This is a extreme tech forum, not a text message conversation with your friends, so learn to speak and type proper English in your posts please.

2). You have been a member here for less then a week, and are insulting members that have been here for a big chunk of your life span (I am guessing you are young but that is just a hunch;)). That type of attitude will earn you nothing but contempt, and possibly a ban.

New members are always welcome, but I would take my advice to heart so you remain a member..

Hotter vs heat. Haswell may run hotter, but it produces FAR less heat. It's like comparing a flame from a lighter to the heat coming out of an active heater vent. The flame might be hotter but it's never going to warm up a room. Vs a heater vent which will warm up a room quite fast. I'll also have to wholeheartedly disagree with your "smoother experience" assessment. If your 5670 CPU is running games smoother than your 4770 setup, particularly on games that aren't threaded to take advantage of 6+ cores, there's something wrong with your haswell setup.

I did HVAC-R for 33 years, Heating A/c refrigeration. I can say for sure that the 95W x6560 xpu is not like a vent from a hot air furnace
I have a H70 AIO water cooler and prime95 runs 62c to 65c or so, running BOINC WCG 100% load is 51c 12 threads. That is not all that bad. 4ghz at 1.28v
They really are a good deal at 60-85$ for an upgrade. They are as good as the 970x chips and are 32nm and 95w with 12mb of cache. They run cooler and use less power.
I doubt at 4ghz they will be a bottle neck in any game. But the OP made up his mind, maybe he will buy a x5650 for his kids system next year after he gives it to him.

Last edited:
Back